Rebels ‘family’ begins season
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff
9/22/00

United they’ll stand and united they’ll fall.

The Red Deer Rebels are hoping the tumbles are kept to a minimum during the 2000-2001 Western Hockey League season. But win or lose, they'll do it together.

"We're a close team. I've noticed that from the first day of training camp," Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter said Thursday.

"That's important and it’s something we've stressed to the kids, that you have to be family and care for each other. You have to be brothers.

"You're all here for the same reason, and to get the desired results you have to do it together. "

The Rebels are openly optimistic heading into tonight's 7:30 p.m. season-opener at the Centrium against the Calgary Hitmen.

"We feel more comfortable this year and we have a lot to prove," said newly-appointed assistant captain Doug Lynch, who will take a spot on the Red Deer blueline tonight,

"We're the underdogs again and that’s a good spot for us to be in. I think we can turn a lot of heads this season and make a lot of noise. I think we’re going to make a splash this year."

Lynch is dead on concerning the club’s potential. As far as being an underdog, well, that’s another matter.

The Rebels showed a lot of promise last winter with a roster top-heavy in rookies. This season’s edition, with everyone a year older and wiser, will get more respect.

The Rebels are strong in goal with Shane Bendera and Michael Garnett, and have two of the premier defencemen in the league in Jim Vandermeer and Ross Lupaschuk, who returned from the Washington Capitals training camp late Thursday.

The remainder of the blueline corps — Colin Johnson, Bryce Thoma, Lynch, Jeff Woywitka, Adam Dombrowski and rookie Derek Meech — features a mix of size and mobility.

If there are concerns, they are up front where Justin Mapletoft and Kyle Wanvig, just back from a successful run at the Boston Bruins camp, are the only proven WHL scorers.

Wanvig and Mapletoft will join Colby Armstrong on the top line. Sutter is counting on fourth-year forward Andrew Bergen for offensive production, and is hoping the extra ice time afforded the likes of Boyd Gordon and Joel Stepp last season will pay off in points.

Clearly, the Rebels will have to score by committee. A glance at their roster suggests they have the depth to do just that.

"It will still come down to how we play as a team," said Sutter. "We have to work well together and do things right both on and off the ice.

"The kids have really bought into the team concept. I saw things through the exhibition season I didn’t see all of last year, things that we stressed as a coaching staff."

The Rebels are not only stronger as a team, but also as individuals. An off-season agenda of aerobic- and strength-training worked wonders.

"With the commitment they made through the summer, they're all bigger and stronger guys now. They all feel better about themselves," said Sutter.

Vandermeer is the Rebels' captain for a second year. Mapletoft, Lynch and Wanvig are the assistant captains.

While the appointed foursome will provide leadership, Sutter insisted they'll get plenty of support.

"I told the players that it really doesn't matter who has the letter on his jersey. You all need to be leaders in your own way," said Sutter. "That's all part of winning."

Lynch, just 17, is no stranger to a leadership role.

He served as captain of "three or four" minor hockey teams and admitted he’s honoured by the latest appointment.

"I'm just going to lead by example. I’ll work hard out there and try to do things right," he said.

Lynch is adamant that the Rebels, anxious to make an impression, must keep their emotions in check.

"You just have to keep a level head and stay on an even keel. There can't be too many ups and too many downs," he said.

Bendera will start in the Red Deer net tonight, with Garnett getting the call Sunday when the defending champion Kootenay Ice invade the Centrium for a 6 p.m. contest.

-------
|  The Medicine Hat Tigers have acquired 18-year-old defenceman Ryan Chieduch from the Prince George Cougars in return for overage forward Berkeley Buchko.

| Former Olds Grizzlys netminder Chad Davidson will start the season as the back-up to Regina Pats No. 1 goalie Donald Choukalos