Rebels kick Ice
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff

9/25/00

Rebels 4 Ice 3

Taking care of business against the relatively green Calgary Hitmen is one thing; storming back to defeat the Kootenay Ice is quite another.

But that’s exactly what the Red Deer Rebels accomplished Sunday.

The Rebels followed up on Friday’s WHL season-opening victory over the Hitmen with a come-from-behind 4-3 triumph over the defending champion Ice before 3,756 fans at the Centrium.

"It's a big confidence boost, particularly when Kootenay's supposed to the best team in the league," said Rebels defencemen Bryce Thoma, who potted the winner at 8:40 of the final frame.

Red Deer trailed 3-1 after 40 minutes, then notched three consecutive power-play markers. Kyle Wanvig and Ross Lupaschuk connected in the first six minutes of the third period, setting the stage for Thoma's decisive goal.

The 18-year-old rearguard moved in from the right point, took a pass from Justin Mapletoft and one-timed a wrist shot past Ice netminder B.J. Boxma.

"I saw Mapes set up behind the net and their four penalty-killers just sort of froze," said Thoma. "So I just slipped in the side and the pass came to me. I didn't really look where I was shooting, I just threw it on net and it went in."

The Rebels were sound defensively the rest of the way, putting the finishing touches on the impressive victory by killing a late penalty.

With referee Derek Herman determined to call everything that remotely resembled an infraction, there was little in the way of five-on-five action.

The Rebels were four-for-12 on the power play. The Ice also had 12 man-advantage opportunities, getting power-play goals from Mike Comrie and Zdenek Blatny and an even-strength marker from Jason Jaffray.

"It was a game of special teams," said Rebels GM/coach Brent Sutter.

"Our power play clicked and our penalty killing came through for us in the end.

"When there was some five-on-five play, the teams seemed to be feeling each other out in the first two periods.

"In the third we decided to get back to skating and playing the way we can. We wanted to give ourselves a chance."

When it counted the most, Red Deer took full advantage of pointless penalties to Ice veterans Zdenek Blatny and Dion Lassu, and overage newcomer Comrie, whose high-sticking double minor led to Thoma's winner.

"Red Deer has definitely improved, but when you’re up 3-1 in any building you have to stick with the game plan and stay disciplined. I thought our discipline was atrocious tonight," said Ice coach Ryan McGill.

And the Rebels made them pay.

"It's a little better than last year, isn't it?" grinned Wanvig, referring to the Red Deer power play.

"It all boils down to confidence. You have to be confident you can control the play with the man advantage and getting traffic in front is so important.

"When Colby (Armstrong) and I get in front of the net, no one's going to move us and the puck's going to go in. Ross got a goal like that tonight. He just shot (from the point) and the goalie didn't even see where it was going."

Wanvig, who played for the Ice for two seasons before being traded to Red Deer last year, realized the importance of Sunday's win.

"It's good to set the tone early, especially against Kootenay who are ranked No. 1 in the country," said the six-foot-two, 219-pound power forward. "They have a good team but I think we're going to give them a run for their money all year."