Rebels get Kouba, trade Johnson
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff

9/27/00

Red Deer Rebels general manager-coach Brent Sutter was a conveyor of news both good and bad Tuesday.

Sutter received word that Ladislav Kouba is eligible to suit for the entire Western Hockey League season, then informed the Czech forward of the fact.

But the Rebels bench boss also had to tell Colin Johnson he's no longer a part of the organization after sending the second-year defenceman to the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

"With eight defencemen on our roster, we felt we had to do something now," said Sutter.

"Lethbridge was the only team that was willing to make a deal at this point."

The Rebels acquired a fifth-round pick in next year’s bantam draft in return for the six-foot-three, 205-pound rearguard.

"We felt we could get maximum value for Johnny if we traded him now, plus we wanted to be fair to the kid," said Sutter.

"Like I told him, 'Johnny, you’re 18 and you have to take a regular shift if you're going to continue to develop. You have to play and you have to  play now.'

"Lethbridge needs help on the blueline so he should be able to step right into their lineup."

Johnson was the Rebels' seventh defenceman and would have been pushed even further down the depth chart with the return of Adam Dombrowski.

Dombrowski, who underwent shoulder surgery in June, is expected to make his 2000-2001 debut Saturday, when the 'Canes visit the Centrium for a 7:30 p.m. clash.

"We'll probably do what we did Friday — dress 11 forwards and seven defencemen," said Sutter.

Meanwhile, the Rebels coach received clearance on Kouba, whose WHL eligibility would otherwise have run out this Sunday.

The 17-year-old was playing on a 15-day release. "I told him everything is good, that he's been cleared to play," said Sutter. "He just smiled. I think he’s relieved."

Sutter said details of Kouba's release by the Czech Hockey Federation must still be worked out. But that won't prevent Kouba from playing in the interim.