Wanvig powers Rebels
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff

9/30/00

The two goals were vintage Kyle Wanvig, the strong power forward going hard to the net and sweeping pucks past a beleaguered Eric Fichaud.

That was two weeks ago, when the Red Deer Rebels winger dressed for his lone NHL exhibition game and promptly collected three points to help the visiting Boston Bruins secure a 7-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens.

"It was the first time I put on the Bruins jersey for an official NHL game. It was an honour to play with all those guys, a lot of established pro players," Wanvig said Friday.

"And playing in the Molson Centre was exciting. There was probably close to 20,000 people there . . . loud, booing Habs fans.

"I got a couple of lucky goals by crashing the net. That’s all I wanted to do — get to the net."

Wanvig also picked up an assist on his first shift, setting the tone for the rest of the evening.

The six-foot-two Calgary native added 10 pounds of muscle during the off season and came into the Rebels camp at the end of August at 219 pounds.

The extra beef came in handy when he checked into the Bruins camp in early September. Wanvig impressed the Bruins brass with his training-camp performance, but wondered if he could transfer that success to the ice when finally given a chance.

"I was probably the most nervous I've ever been in my life, just wondering what it was going to be like," said Wanvig of his feelings prior to the game in Montreal.

"And then you get out there and it’s just another hockey game. The speed is obviously a lot faster than here, but the guys make you better. It all comes together."

Despite being sent back to the junior ranks the following day, Wanvig labeled the overall experience as a major confidence booster, knowing that he could perform at the NHL level. And he didn’t miss a beat upon his return to the Rebels, notching three goals and adding an assist in 7-5 and 4-3 wins over Calgary and Kootenay last weekend.

The four-year WHL veteran will take his place alongside linemates Justin Mapletoft and Colby Armstrong for a third time tonight, when the Rebels entertain the Lethbridge Hurricanes at 7:30 p.m. at the Centrium.

The clubs meet again Sunday at 6:30 p.m. in Lethbridge.

The Rebels’ No. 1 unit was red-hot last weekend, with Mapletoft racking up three goals and 10 points and Armstrong scoring twice and adding two assists.

"I was kind of down when Boston cut me," said Wanvig.

"But it was a great feeling when I called Brent (Rebels GM/coach Sutter) and he said he was impressed with what he heard from the Bruins, and when I came back that I’d be playing a ton on the power play, that I'd be playing on the top line with Justin and Colby.

"So I knew I was coming back to a good situation, that I wouldn't have to worry about a spot."

Wanvig's job with the Rebels was always secure and he could prove to be invaluable this season.

"I'm an offensive player. I obviously have to work on my defence and become a better two-way player if I want to play in the NHL," he said.

"Brent's been working with me in that area. That’s my goal this year, to make sure my defensive game is better than it has been. I know the offence will be there if I play a good defensive game."

The entire team will be looking to improve in that department this weekend.

"The offence has been there for us and we’ve got some points from our defence," said Wanvig.

"More than anything, our power play is a lot better than it was last year.

"But defensively we have to be better. We can't be letting in eight goals in two games like we did last weekend. That's way too many."

-----------------
 - Michael Garnett will start in the Rebels net tonight, with Shane Bendera getting the call Sunday.

- Sutter reduced his roster to 22 players Friday by reassigning centre Joel Rupprecht to Crowsnest Pass of the AJHL. The 16-year-old had three assists in seven exhibition games but didn't play against Calgary or Kootenay.