Rebels, Tigers fined, MacIntyre gets three games
By Advocate staff

10/26/00

The Red Deer Rebels were stuck for $1,250 in fines and the Medicine Hat Tigers lost forward Steve MacIntyre for three games when WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen doled out his form of justice Wednesday.

Doerksen, ruling on a series of incidents during Saturday's Rebels-Tigers game in Medicine Hat, handed the 240-pound MacIntyre a three-game suspension for incurring a match penalty for charging and injuring Red Deer's Donovan Rattray.

Rattray went into convulsions on the ice and was transported to hospital by ambulance. He suffered a grade three concussion and was released from hospital Sunday. The Tigers and Rebels were each dealt a $500 fine for a line brawl that followed MacIntyre's penalty, and Red Deer GM/head coach Brent Sutter was nailed for an additional $750 for yelling and gesturing toward Tigers coach Randy Wong.

"I'm tired of even talking about it," Sutter said Wednesday afternoon.

"I'm just glad that Donovan is going to be OK. He could have been seriously injured and that's why my emotions ran so high. I still feel it was a check that was uncalled for and the league has dealt with it."

MacIntyre sat out Sunday's contest at Cranbrook and served the second game of his suspension Wednesday when the Tigers entertained Prince Albert.