Rebels out-work Warriors
By Advocate staff

10/30/00

The Red Deer Rebels were looking for a measure of revenge while the Moose Jaw Warriors were seeking redemption from the nightmare they experienced 24 hours earlier.

Both teams realized their initial goals in Sunday's Western Hockey League contest at the Centrium, although the Rebels gained the only things that mattered — a win and two points.

"We wanted to have a strong outing tonight. The last time we played Moose Jaw we got killed 9-2 in their building (Oct. 11)," said defenceman Doug Lynch, following the Rebels’ 3-1 win before 3,847 fans.

"We knew they'd be gunning for us coming off a terrible loss," he added, referring to the Warriors' humiliating 11-2 setback Saturday in Calgary. "We just tried to match their intensity and be one better."

Red Deer led 1-0 after a hard-fought opening period, then carried the play the rest of the way. Warriors netminder Sean Connors were nothing short of heroic, stopping 41 shots, including 17 in the second period.

"As a coaching staff  we're happy with the way we played. We thought we got stronger each period," said assistant Dallas Gaume.

"I thought we pretty much had control in the second and third periods.  We were encouraged by the way we went to the net, we were hungry for the puck. Their goaltender was outstanding and kept it as close as it was."

Gaume acknowledged the Oct. 11 debacle was a topic of conversation in the dressing room prior to the game.

"I think that was a little extra motivation for us. They gave it to us pretty good in Moose Jaw and we wanted to pay them back a bit tonight."

He also confirmed a genuine concern over Red Deer’s lack of finish. In their last three games, including victories over Swift Current Wednesday and Prince Albert Saturday, the Rebels have scored 10 goals on 119 shots.

"We have to start capitalizing on our chances a little more," said Gaume. "We created a lot of opportunities tonight. We have to start bearing down and finishing them off."

On the up side, the Rebels have allowed only 65 opposition shots in the same stretch, and, even better, have surrendered just two goals.

"We're not going to be scoring a lot of goals. But if we keep playing strong defence and our goaltenders continue to play well, we're going to win our share of hockey games," said Lynch.

Michael Garnett was on track for his second consecutive shutout — he beat Swift Current 3-0 — when Warriors import Tomas Mojzis struck early in the third period.

Garnett, like teammate Shane Bendera in Saturday’s 4-1 win over P.A., was sharp when called upon. The 18-year-old faced 22 shots, exactly half of Connors' workload.

"Connors was good. I thought our whole team responded well after last night, and it was important for us to do that," said Moose Jaw head coach Len Nielsen.

Connors stopped only 39 of 50 shots Saturday in Calgary.

"I thought our team competed real hard. They battled right to the end and gave everything they had."

"Red Deer's a very good hockey team and we knew it was going to be a tough game. From our standpoint we just wanted the effort level to be a little higher and I thought it was. Unfortunately we came out on the short end."

Lynch, Jeff Smith and Andrew Bergen scored for Red Deer.

----------
Lynch fired a pair of goals in Saturday’s victory, with Justin Wallin and Diarmuid Kelly adding singles. Riley Cote replied for the Raiders.