Bergen’s burners a great asset
By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate staff

11/07/00

Contrary to rumours, Andrew Bergen's sore knee is not the result of a snake bite.

Granted, the Red Deer Rebels forward has been snake-bit this season, but he suffered his knee injury in a third-period collision with a Portland player in Friday's 3-2 loss to the visiting Winter Hawks.

"It's a light sprain. Hopefully I'll be able to play in a couple of days," Bergen said Monday, prior to a practice session at the Arena.

That would make the 19-year-old questionable for Wednesday's Western Hockey League contest in Prince George, where the Rebels will meet the Cougars in the first of a three-game swing through B.C.

In the event he doesn't play, Bergen will be sorely missed. Although he's scored just twice this season, the Luseland, Sask., native has created dozens of chances.

Bergen has also been a defensive standout, killing penalties and drawing opposition penalties with his aggressive forecheck and wonderful wheels.

This from a player who knew he was on the bubble coming into training camp after a sub-par 1999-2000 season.

"I came to camp in the right frame of mind. I worked hard all summer and the hard work's starting to pay off,"” he said.

As for his hard luck around the net, Bergen insisted that's not a major concern, particularly with the Rebels rolling along with a 13-3 record.

"I'm not really worried. I'm getting chances and one of these days they're going to start going in, it's just a matter of getting the right bounces. I'd be worried if I wasn't getting the chances, so I don't think it's that big of a deal right now."

Bergen and linemate Justin Wallin have excelled as penalty-killers this season. Their performance has been a major reason why the Rebels have surrendered so few power-play goals, especially at the Centrium.

"We have pretty good speed and we try and use that to our advantage on the penalty kill," said Bergen. "Right now it's working pretty well. Of course it's still early in the season, but hopefully we can keep it going."

Goaltending, special teams and disciplined defensive play have been the keys to Red Deer's success.

"Playing well defensively is a big part of our game," said Bergen. "Brent (GM/head coach Sutter) stresses defence a lot and we work drills every day in practice.

"We're just sticking to the system and so far it’s working."

the Red Deer coaches certainly appreciate Bergen's commitment and drive.

"Andrew has played well right from day one," said assistant Dallas Gaume. "He gives us a lot five on five and on the penalty kill, and we've also used him on the power play.

"His play hasn't really shown up as far as points go, but when his line (including Jeff Smith) has been on the ice good things have happened.

We're happy with his play and if he keeps working and being persistent, eventually the pucks are going to start going in for him.

"But we're just happy with what he's contributed so far. He's a big part of our team."

The Rebels are in Kelowna Friday to face the Rockets, and conclude their trip Saturday against in Kamloops.

Red Deer's next home game is Nov. 17 against the Medicine Hat Tigers.

----------
The Rebels are still fourth in the Canadian Hockey League top-10 rankings, which are assembled by a panel of NHL scouts. Kootenay moved to No. 1, while Portland is eighth and the Swift Current Broncos ninth.

----------
Nathan Barrett of the Lethbridge Hurricanes is the WHL's player of the week after scoring four goals and adding five assists in three games. The 19-year-old from Surrey, B.C., is currently tied for fifth in league scoring.

----------
Swift Current traded former Rebels defenceman Jay Batchelor to the Prince Albert Raiders Monday for future considerations.

----------
The Regina Pats have acquired overage defenceman Shon Jones-Parry on waivers from Seattle Thunderbirds.