Future Lynchpin
Greg Meachem
Advocate staff

11/22/00

It doesn't rival the testing of the hydrogen bomb, but the Red Deer Rebels' experiment involving Doug Lynch hasn't blown up in their face.

On the contrary, moving the 17-year-old back to the blueline during the preseason was an astute move by GM/head coach Brent Sutter.

"I think we're still going through a process with him because he hadn't played back there for a couple of years and he's still reading plays, deciding when to jump in and when not to," said Sutter.

"But I think he's come along fine. He is now, and I think he's going to continue to be, a heck of a defenceman in this league."

The Coquitlam, B.C., native lined up at centre last season, his first in the Western Hockey League.

In early September, with the Rebels' roster reduced to three rearguards due to fighting majors and ensuing game misconducts in a preseason clash with Lethbridge, Sutter shifted Lynch back to the blueline.

He's been there ever since.

"Brent and I had a meeting after an exhibition game in Lethbridge two nights later and we decided it would be best for the team and for myself if I stayed on defence," said Lynch.

"It was agreed that I'd get more ice time back there. I just want to help the team and so far we're winning, so I can't complain."

Lynch and his Red Deer teammates will take their 16-4-1-1 record into tonight's contest with the Kamloops Blazers at 7:30 p.m. at the Centrium.

Sutter and former assistant coach Peter Anholt, who was replaced by Dallas Gaume during the off-season, considered transferring Lynch to defence last winter.

The change came about nearly a year later, but it could increase his chances of being an early pick in next June’s NHL draft. At six-foot-three and 200 pounds, Lynch has the size and accompanying mobility that pro scouts covet, and his stats through 22 games are impressive — six goals and 15 points, 62 minutes in penalties and a plus-12 plus-minus rating.

"It's hard to say if the move will help him in the (NHL) draft, but it's more of a natural position for him," said Sutter. "He played defence through minor hockey.

"I think it's certainly helped out our defence when I think about the offence we get from him. He also gives us more size back there and has given us depth on our back end without us having to go out and acquire another player. I think it's been a good move all around."

While Lynch was a defenceman in minor hockey, he stressed there were still some bugs to work out when he moved back full-time in September.

"The calibre of play is so much different at this level, so much more intense (than in minor hockey), so I'm still adjusting," he said. "But our coaches and players have been fantastic. They've all been very supportive.

"As time goes on I feel more and more comfortable out there, and I've been trying to work hard in practice. My offence will always be there, that's just instinct. But defensively I want to become better than what I am."

Sutter is confident Lynch, a Rebels assistant captain, will become a WHL standout not just because of his skills, but his attitude.

"He's a leader, a character kid who does things right on and off the ice. That's the kind of player you want in your organization," said the Rebels boss.

"Our older team leaders are going to be gone after this year and we'll need someone to step up in that area. Dougie is certainly qualified to do that."

----------
The Rebels maintained their No. 4 status in the latest Canadian Hockey League rankings. Kootenay is second, behind Shawinigan of the QMJHL, while Swift Current, at No. 8, is the only other WHL team in the top 10.

----------
Red Deer forward Justin Wallin has missed the last two games with a concussion and is doubtful for tonight.