[Quarter Bin READING LIST!]

Home Page | Guest Voices | Boneyard | Opinions | Profiles | Public Square | Recycling Bin
Revolving Door of Death | Talent Pool | Truly Awful Comics | Links | Reading List

Reading List

[The right piece of literature will exert a force on the reader.] As I come across (and possibly resort to) various written works about comics or about particular cartoonists, I'll add them to this reading list in the hope that occasionally this will turn up some volume that may illuminate some aspect of comics not well-covered by other works. Some folks hit this page while doing research on certain comics themes, and maybe one or more of following pieces can provide various pieces of an overall education on the subject of comics put in historical perspective - or, even better, provide the necessary references for those important footnotes on a paper.

Many pardons for the brevity of this list at this point. Most of my research tends to come from the comics themselves, from generally-known information (sometimes available on the web in no particularly concentrated location), and similar diffuse sources. When I look for (and even find) an answer to a question within a prose work, however, I'll include it here. Eventually this reading list could actually make for a useful resource, depending upon what I find to put into it.

Note that occasional comics anthologies appear here. Their presence indicates they contain useful and/or relevant text sections concerning comics in general or in specific.

BEACHAMP, MONTE, editor. The Life and Times of R. Crumb: Comments from Contemporaries. New York: St. Martin's Griffin, 1998.

DANIELS, LES. Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Incorporated, 1993.

DANIELS, LES. Superman: The Complete History. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1998.

GERBER, ERNTST. Photo-Journal Guide to Marvel Comics, volume K-Z. Minden, NV: Gerber Publishing Co., Inc., 1991.

GOULART, RON. The Comic Book Reader's Companion. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 2000.

GOULART, RON. The Funnies: 100 Years of American Comic Strips. Holbrook, Massachussetts: Adams Publishing, 1995.

LUPOFF, DICK, AND THOMPSON, DON. All in Color for a Dime. New York, NY: Ace Books, 1997.

NYEBERG, AMY KISTE. Seal of Approval: This History of the Comics Code. Jackson, Mississippi: University Press of Mississippi, 1998.

SCHWARTZ, JULIUS, AND THOMSEN, BRIAN M. Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 2000.

SCHREINER, DAVE. Kitchen Sink Press: The First 25 Years. Northampton, MA: Kitchen Sink Press, Inc., 1994.

THOMPSON, DON, AND LUPOFF, DICK. The Comic-Book Book. Carlstadt, N.J: Rainbow Books, 1998.

WALKER, MORT. Backstage at the Strips. A & W Visual Library, 1975.

WATTERSON, BILL. The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book. Kansas City, Missouri: Andrews and McMeel, 1995.

Return to the Quarter Bin.
Email the author at [email protected].

Copyrights and trademarks may apply to characters, products, and businesses mentioned in this page. Their mention here does not represent a challenge to existing intellectual rights.