About Cluttered

About Cluttered

What It Is

Cluttered is my attempt at a weblog. You may be wondering what a weblog is. There's a lot of discussion out there about what is and what isn't a weblog. Well the best definition I can come up with is that it's a collection of one person's observations of life on and off the web, updated on a regular (usually daily) basis. It's links with opinions, and side notes about what's going on in the weblogger's life.

Some weblogs are almost exclusively links with little commentary. Others are practically on line journals with a link or two sprinkled in. I'm going for a balance between the two, but of course this is subject to change.

Some of the topics that interest me are technology, sports, and science fiction. Most of what I log will be related to these topics, but I never know what might catch my eye on a given day.

Why I'm Doing This

I'm a masochist.

Seriously, I believe that this will encourage me to read more, and think about what I read. It will sharpen my mind and I will learn new things. I may even meet some new people by doing this. And along the way I'll probably learn some more about web design, which is something that interests me. There's no better way to learn about web design than to have a web page like this.

Here is a good place to mention the three weblogs that inspire me most, which you saw listed on the front page. Medley and Now This have a lot in common. Lyn (of Medley) and Steve (of Now This) both strike a good balance between links/commentary and personal stories. Both Lyn and Steve are willing to speak their minds. And they both manage to give their sites a personality. I think that's what keeps my going back every day. (Or every couple of days for Now This -- my only complaint is that Steve doesn't update often enough.)

I think Windowseat deserves a special mention. The main focus of Windowseat is television, and in particular, Homicide: Life on the Street, which is Laurel's favorite show. Well, I don't watch a whole lot of TV. In fact, not counting sporting events, I probably average about 4 hours per week. And I've never seen a single episode of Homicide. So, this weblog is mainly about a topic that I have very little interest in. Yet, there's enough good writing, and the site has personality, so I keep going back.

I guess it's personality that seperates an average weblog from a great weblog. Anyone can come up with a few links every day. It takes talent to bring them to life.

Who I Am

My name is P.J. Smith. P.J. stands for Philip James, but I've gone by P.J. all my life. I'm 26 years old, temporarily living in the Atlanta area but my permanent residence is in Charlotte, N.C. You'll probably find out everything else you need to know about me just by reading the weblog.

Back to Cluttered

Last updated: April 8, 2000