The Time Machine

Copyright © 1997, 2000 Chris Halliday
All Rights Reserved

Welcome to the Omniverse...

Ingrid looked around the dank cellar, taking in the scene of cybernetic carnage. Metallic limbs and components were strewn across the small room, the remains of a Reaper cell the team had been tracking through downtown Boston for more than a week. She bit her lip, jumpy despite the fact that their target had been achieved.

Trent glanced over, a frown creasing his face. Ingrid was the team?s good-luck charm; a low-level precog whose danger-sense had saved everyone?s bacon on more than one occasion. If she was nervous, Trent was nervous. In the Time Corps, nobody liked surprises.

"Senker, scan the remains. Let?s see if we can pinpoint what these bad boys have been doing here for the last few days. It'll help with the tidy-up. Busch, check for a latent signature. If we can figure out where and when they arrived, maybe we can save ourselves some work. Ingrid, are we okay?"

Ingrid jumped, staring back at Trent with wide, frightened eyes. "What?"

"Are we okay?"

Ingrid shook her head. "I don't know. There's something wrong."

"Danger?" asked Trent brusquely. This wasn't like Ingrid, and if something nasty was going to happen he wanted as much warning as possible. He could always apologise later.

Ingrid shook her head again. "No, I don't think so. It's just..."

"What?"

"The future. It's not there any more."

"Boss?" It was Senker. "We've got a problem."

"Shoot."

"We're short. Scanner says there are only three Reapers here."

Ingrid felt a sudden chill, and the short hairs on the back of her neck stirred. Something was coming. Something bad.

"Three? Are you sure? There's supposed to be four."

Ingrid screamed, her minds eye filled with a howling darkness that roared towards them from the past. The air rippled.

"It's an ambush!" Trent yelled. "The other one's jumped back! Isolators on now!"

Ingrid slapped at the thin wedge of plexite on her shoulder. Felt the familiar tingle as the device set her slightly apart from the world around her. Saw the horror Senker's face as his failed to activate. Then he was gone, swept aside by the restructuring of history.

In the long moment that followed, Trent looked around him. The entry they had just blown in the wall was gone, erased by the time wave. Fear knotted his gut as he realised what that meant. Turning, he saw the massive figures of the three Reaper cyborgs, intact, armed and terrifyingly close. Grinning, the nearest unsheathed its blade.

Time War is an original time travel RPG campaign background. In it you assume the role of an agent of the Time Corps, a mysterious organisation existing outside time. You've received the best training any history can offer. Your equipment is the most advanced this side of the Omega Point. Will it be enough? Your mission is to protect the history of billions of parallel worlds from those who would alter it for their own ends. You're not fighting for the future, you're fighting for the continued existence of the Omniverse. Reality is more fragile than you want to know. But the bad guys don't care. In the course of your duty you'll come up against the toughest opponents in the Omniverse. Renegades, inhuman Architects, the robotic Reapers and the dreaded Scarabs. Be careful, one false move and everything you ever were could be... history.

Inspired by the writings of H.G.Wells, Poul Anderson, Simon Hawke, John Barnes and others, Time War is intended to be a fast paced, cinematic style game, designed to give your players the freedom of the Omniverse.

If you're having problems getting your head around the concepts of the game, head over to the Time War FAQ page, and while you're here remember to scope out the Time Travel Sites section of my links page.

Time War RPG  is an original work and is copyright by Chris Halliday, 1997, 2000. All rights reserved. Use of the material on these pages is permitted for personal use only. Unauthorised reproduction or distribution of this material in any manner is expressly forbidden.

magicA Guide to the Time Corps

This file gives an overview of the Time Corps; its mission, structure, chain of command, regulations, missions and more. Version 5.4 (why did no-one tell me I'd put an all italics version up?).

magicA Beginner's Guide to Temporal Physics

Extracted from the player's guide, this document is an overview of the way things work in the worlds of the Time War. At some point I may add some diagrams if people think they're necessary. Let me know what you think.

WARNING: I have been reliably informed that reading this can cause excessive cranial pressure in sapients with low chronal sensitivity (it makes your head hurt). I accept no responsibility for any psychological or physiological damage resulting from the perusal of this document. Version 1.6.

magicTechnology and Equipment

Okay, you've been good, here are some toys :-) Here you'll find some of the gadgets, guns and gizmos used by the Corps (and some used by the bad guys).

magicTime Machines

An array of time travel technology, with a detailed look at the your personal time machine, the Timeglider.

magicFellow Travellers

This monster update is the first look at some of the good guys, bad guys and in-betweens that populate the Omniverse. Come and take a look at the sinister Adjusters, the fanatical Seekers and the monstrous Balakai. And whatever you do, don't disturb the Architects...

magic Temple's Tale: Chapter 1

The first part of a novella designed to illustrate the world of the Time War RPG. This is a work in progress, so any feedback is welcome (be gentle with me, I bruise easily :D).

magic Temple's Tale: Chapter 2

Colonel John Temple reminisces about his first mission, and has a strange and prophetic encounter.

magic Temple's Tale: Chapter 3

When things go wrong, it all goes wrong...

magic Temple's Tale: Chapter 4

Wulf and Temple make the acquaintance of some gentlemen who don't seem at all happy to see them.

magic Temple's Tale: Chapter 5

Temple's captors get a nasty surprise and learn that, like the song says, you really can't go home again.

Like what you've read? Give me feedback! Hate it? Click here.

Subscribe to the Time War RPG mailing list