Mekton Zeta Plus Extra
Algolian Knights

Well, last night I typed up a little bit about Knights on Algol. Now I'm not a very big Algol fan myself, but this idea has been perkolating in my head for a while and just had to get it out – and Algol seems just about the only place to put it. (No, sorry, I did this on my own time so it doesn't mean that Algol 1530 is in the works now.) I'm thinking about putting this essay up on our web page eventually, but first I'd like to get feedback from you guys... maybe you'd like to write up some additional info and I can incorporate it into the essay? Feel free to rewrite stuff and add or remove stuff as appropriate, too.... This is just a first draft and I'd really love to see what others would do with the idea. Thanks!

ALGOL PROJECT: ALGOL 1530

THE KNIGHTS OF ALGOL

On Algol, knights are honored Mekton warriors of secondary noble rank. The origins of the rank lie with the barbarian tribes of northern Karga, where Algolian feudalism first developed. At that time, the title of knight represented a landholding rank, with the knight holding his land by military tenure (that is, in return for a land grant the knight had to render military service to his monarch). However, as Algolian civilizations developed beyond pure feudalism, the knight class evolved into an honor bestowed as a means of advancement for those who were not born into a noble family-but this does not mean that knighthood no longer carried with it the obligations of military tenure. Instead, the military service became payment for the knight's status as a noble and officer (rather than his power as a landholder). By the time of the First Mekton War, the rise of the Mekton as the ultimate military weapon had made the title of knight more honored and respected than ever before.

Practices vary from nation to nation, but traditionally the knight receives his accolade when his monarch taps him on the shoulders with a sword (or rastas in Karga) and proclaims him a knight. Once knighted, he is entitled to the honorific title "Sir". In Karga, a knight is titled "Khan"-an Old Kargan word meaning "lordling" from which the current Elaran word for "knight" derives. In Muria, knighthood has also taken on a religious significance, and a vigil at the Temple of the Dark Tower is a required part of a Murian's initiation into knighthood. In general, the title of knight is not hereditary but is conferred by the monarch (with the advice of the government). Both men and women can become knights

Knights in Your Mekton Campaign

Algol is a rather unique roleplaying setting in that is combines aspects of the modern military with those of an ancient monarchy. Played right, this can net you and your players the best of both worlds, as can be exemplified by the "gimmick" of Algolian Knighthood.

Think about all the anime you've seen which revolves around a moody, self-possessed civilian teenager being given the military's ultimate prototype. This idea is highly improbable at best, but knighthood gives you an easy way to "have your realism and ignore it too". Picture this: The young anime hero does something amazingly stupid but amazingly brave (such as rescuing the princess from a fire, or Axis attack, or whatever). The next thing he knows, the king is tapping him on the shoulders with a sword and he's knighted. He gets to skip all the tedious climbing of ranks and immediately gains special status in the military. He's assigned to the best ship in the fleet, and when they get a prototype Mekton with orders to test it in combat, guess who's assigned to pilot it? The knight, of course! Otherwise, the king (or his daughter) might get upset.

Knighthood is also a good reason to give your player(s) extra-dangerous, extra-important missions-even if they might not really be the best men for the job. After all, who better to send off on a nigh-impossible quest than the king's own knights, right?

Playing a Knight

Technically speaking, a knight is required to serve in his monarch's military forces and nothing else. However, in practice, knights are expected to follow a code of chivalry-a system of ethical ideals which combines military and social virtues. In addition to courtesy toward enemies and generosity toward the sick, oppressed, and other disadvantaged people, it calls for loyalty to the monarch, valor, and military prowess. Therefore, knighthood is usually bestowed only upon those who have demonstrated exceptional bravery and/or fighting skills. This means that if you become a knight, you'd better make sure you can back it up with some muscle! Many new knights take up to a year off to train with battlemasters of their monarch's court, while others simply make sure they get to fight on the front lines regularly.

Algolian chivalry also incorporates the ideal of romantic devotion, which can make life even more difficult than combat. Tournaments are sometimes held in which knights duel with each other for the attention of the opposite sex, and while these elaborate, stylized contests are usually harmless entertainment, they still involve real opponents who are sometimes piloting real Mektons! Young knights should beware of being pressured into participating in these tournaments unless they are very confident in their skillsx especially in Karga, where the tournaments often become deadly serious and sometimes go on to the death.

Knights (especially new, young ones) may also experience some discrimination by fellow soldiers despite the fact that knights are legally considered nobles and are widely admired. Particularly among ship crews, knights are seen as "teacher's pets" and would thus do well to watch their step lest they suffer hazing or even sabotage by jealous, ambitious shipmates.

Still, despite the drawbacks mentioned above, knighthood can be very nice indeed. The privelages include instant nobility (and all the access and influence which that confers) and special consideration within the ranks of the military. Knighthood is generally understood to be a movement sideways (rather than upwards) through the ranks, putting the knight in a position somewhere above lieutenant and somewhere below captain, but the exact position of the knight within the military is kept nebulous. Usually, any officer below captain level who is of lesser nobility than a knight will consider him a superior, but any officer above lieutenant level who is of higher nobility than the knight will consider him a subordinate. This canresult in some complicated situations which are usually arbitrated by the highest-ranking officer on-sitex But Algol's monarchs universally agree that having loyal agents with broad freedoms distributed throughout their militaries is worth an occasional rank dispute.

Written by :
Benjamin Wright
R. Talsorian Games