Mekton Zeta Plus Extra
The Undersea Societies
By Various Members

Could there be an entire forgotten nation living under the oceans of Algol? 

The Project thinks it's possible, here is what we came up with:

1) A lost nation of undersea dwellers...
2) A conclave of Archipelago Refugees making their home under the sea...

Both options can be kept seperate or co-existing; but generally the group liked the latter option.

Seahani [ Lost Algolians ]

Original Proposal:
There is a society of Atlantis-like people, similar to the Murians, that have kept to themselves all this time.  This society would be highly xenophobic and paranoia of the surface world for not participationg in Algol history since at least -1000 AY.  -- Sir Luckio

The 'Lost Algolians': The idea of an undersea civilization hidden for centuries makes perfect sense with original scattering of the colonists. A problem arises, however, when you consider thier technology. If modern surface technology traces it's roots back to the rediscovery of the Black Tower, then the Lost Algolians would still be behind in technological development. One possible solution is that they derive thier technology from the Escape Pod they used to hide undersea from the Aggendi.   -- Rob Knotts

I like the development here.  The "Lost Algolians" being a little more successful of being isolationists than the Murians could possible of just less or equal in technology development.  I'd prefer a little of both. (Where the "Lost Algolians" would have superior undersea technolgy then anyone else on the surface, but are lacking in surface technology.  If we need to coin their general tech level, let's say they are below Murian tech, but slightly higher than the other nations.)
        The Lost Algolians, maybe called that from surface folk legends, but they call themselves...Seahan.

Seahani History:
        Seahani first make contact with the Marine Ettaran in 1505 AY, a year after the Marine Ettarans break away from the Archipelagoes.  For help from the Seahan, the Marine Ettarans agree to keep silent about the Seahani.
        However, when the Aggendi begin their prelimary raids on Algol in 1528 AY, this forces Seahan to surface and take part with other nations against the Aggendi threat.  (Aggendi were indiscremanent in their raids, so the Seahani were no exceptions.)  -- Sir Luckio

Or maybe their technology was imported when they colonized. Why should they have lost any technology, when an easier answer could be that they colonized first and kept to themselves during later colonization until they were rediscovered recently? With possible aggressive consequences (i.e., Abyss)? This would leave the question of their origins a role-playing plot, while their race could be any alien race from MK Empire, or even a lost colony of the ancient Bendaris. -- Chaos025

An easier solution to this would be a second colony ship, which splashed down in the ocean.  No one ever said the Black Tower was the only ship. -- Lord Ebonflack

The solution for a "second" colony ship doesn't jive with what's printed in Mekton Empire...

"A large group of disgruntled independent scientists, colonists, and Mekton warriors of the other Humani worlds flet the Monadani-dominated Empire in a 'borrowed' starcruiser. "
– Mekton Empire, (pg. 9).

From what I can recall, the only other thing these Algoli anscestors had access to was an Elomani stargate; both of which we know of their fates. -- Sir Luckio

Hmm.  Mekton Empire is in dire need of an update, but such a project is not really within the scope of this List.  I think if we want to inject a lost society on Algol, a second ship (perhaps not as big as the Black Tower) is not entirely out of the range of plausibility.  It's no more of a stretch than the idea of a lost underwater society on Algol.  Let's give the idea a little rope and see what it does.  If it doesn't pan out, we don't have to use it, but for now, just go with it. --Lord Ebonflack

Again, Why does it have to be a "second" ship, when it is more probable that the Black Tower and its Aggendi pursuer were the last ships to visit Algol before the Jump Gate was damaged.

I will support this thought with a simple question:

Why did the Elomani build a Jump Gate in the Algol system at all? (Other than a plot device, that is.)

I personally like to think that the Elomani and the Humani are decedents of the Bendari. And that the Bendari visited Algol long before the Elomani built a Jump Gate there. And maybe stayed. Perhaps underwater? -- Scott Jefferson

Here's a thought, inspired from reading Mekton Empire...

What if the the "Second" ship was the pursuing Empire's Pursuing Ship?  This makes good logic if the Rebels ship was too concerned crashlanding their ship to notice what happend to their pursures.  Why this is so could be easily explained as lost to the ages.

But was it constructed there in the first place?  In Mekton II they tell that it was constructed there and is miles of miles long, but in Rimfire they tell that the Jump Gate was much smaller and elude that it could 'teleport' itself there.

Either way, does it really matter for this discussion?

If you like it go for it.  I personally oppose the Bendari hanging around Algol because it would unbalance the game in favor of the Bendari; an that's not Algol to me. -- Sir Luckio

Granted.  I was assuming that the two ships arrived together as part of the same convoy...

<< Why did the Elomani build a Jump Gate in the Algol system at all? (Other than
a plot device, that is.)>>

The Elomani?  Why them specifically?
Anyway, that is a question I hope to answer in my current campaign.  I haven't yet decided on an answer.  The gate's presence is odd, given that Algol is out in the middle of nowhere, isn't very hospitable for colonization, and is, at best, a navigational hazard.  There is also the matter of Asteroid Karmuria, which apparently predates the colonists.  What was it for, and why so far outsystem?

It might have something to do with Algol's suns.  A stable clump of stars of such wildly varying types is a physical impossibility.  It shouldn't exist, unless it's artificial.  But, if the Bendari engineered it... why?

<< I personally like to think that the Elomani and the Humani are decedents of the Bendari. And that the Bendari visited Algol long before the Elomani built a Jump Gate there. And maybe stayed. Perhaps underwater? >>

My theory is that the Bendari are us.  Earth humans.   Way in the distant future, we Terrans colonize other worlds and found an interstellar empire. When we reach a certain point, we do the Vorlon thing and go "elsewhere" to evolve further, possibly existing only as energy beings, or pure psionic force.  The remaining humani are those humans who did not evolve.  The Elomani are somewhere in between.

To use an analogy, the Bendari are to us, as elomani are to the higher apes, and as humani are to lower primates.
Some individuals, like Lady Attican, are on the verge of reaching the Bendari level of consciousness.

--Lord Ebonflack

Marine-Ettarans

Original Proposal:
Ettaran divergent refugees, loosing their holdings above the surface have retrated to undersea dome archologies instead of becoming a mobile nation of there brothern up on the surface. -- Sir Luckio

I don't like the idea of Ettarans building Dome Cities. The alternative I'd suggest is that they do build vast Domes, but they were built to be construction sites/service docks for large communal submarines. They could also use Mekton technology for undersea construction and mining.  -- Rob Knotts

Reconsidering on who the Ettarans are, and the time frame envolved. Your definately right. Marine Ettarans would keep there mobility, if only they chose to travel undersea than on it's surface.  -- Sir Luckio

Who says the techno-gypsies travel all the time. A hidden gypsy conclave would be a great story plot to develop. -- Chaos025

If you're calling them Gypsies, you're implying that they travel all the time. More to the point, small communites are likely, but what was orignally suggested were entire undersea Ettaran cities, which seems really out of character for the culture. -- Rob Knotts

Not necessarily.  They prefer mobility as a culture, but it would be shameless stereotyping to assume they ALL want to live that way.  They still need ports of call for trade and resupply, as well as farmland. No one wants fish for EVERY meal.  I gave them a few land based arcologies on the islands for that purpose. -- Lord Ebonflack

Well in the MZ rulebook, page 142.  It says that the Ettarrans actually attempted to establish a city on the island of Jerrin.  But after completing the preliminary stages on it they postponed any further construction on it indefinitey for reasons unknown.  Hmmmmm.  Anyone want to guess to know why?   I got a few ideas. Just a thought. -- Gary T. Washington.