Northampton and/or Essex, England (16th Century-1632) -> Cambridge, MA (1632-1636) -> Hartford then Farmington, CT (1636-1740)
William (my 11th Great Grandfather) was born in Northampton in 1592, but his (1st) marriage was in Essex in 1625, and his ship (the Lion) left from London 1631 or 1632, so had he moved from Northampton to the Essex/London area?
My 12th Great Grandfather, William Wadsworth
married an Elizabeth
At least one child: William Wadsworth
My 11th Great Grandfather, William Wadsworth
Baptised 1592 in Long Buckby, Northampton, England. Married 1st in 1625 in Braintree, Essex, England to Sarah Talcott (dau. of John Talcott & Ann Skinner. Married 2nd Jul., 1644 in Hartford, CT to Elizabeth Stone. Died 1675 in Hartford, CT.
Arrived in Cambridge, MA in 1632 aboard the Lion with his 4 children. Became a Freeman of the colony Nov. 6, 1632.
moved to Hartford, CT in 1636 where he was Townsman (1642, 1655, 1661, 1673) and Constable (1651). Representative most years between 1656-1675.
His Will, dated May 16, 1675 inventoried his estate as being worth £1677/13/9.
5 w/Sarah Talcott:
- Sarah Wadsworth (~1626-1648), m. John Wilcock
- Sarah Wilcock, m. Daid Ensign and/or Thomas Long
- William Wadsworth (~1630-?), m. ?
- John Wadsworth
- Lydia Wadsworth (~1634-aft. 1660)
- Mary Wadsworth (~1635-1711), m. Thomas Stoughton
- John Stoughton, m1. Elizabeth Bissell, m2. Sarah Fitch
- Mary Stoughton, m. Samuel Farnsworth
- Elizabeth Stoughton, m. ? Eliot
- Thomas Stoughton, m1. Dorothy Talcott, m2. Abigail Edwards (Widow Lathrop)
- Samuel Stoughton, m. Dorothy ?
- Israel Stoughton, m. Mary Birge
- Rebecca Stoughton, m. Atherton Mather
6 w/Elizabeth Stone:
- Elizabeth Wadsworth (1645-1715), m. John Terry
- Elizabeth Terry (1663-1699), m. Capt. Thomas Holcomb
- Stephen Terry (1666-?)
- Sarah Terry (1668-aft. 1691)
- John Terry (1669/70-1670)
- Rebecca Terry (1671-1673)
- Mary Terry (1673-aft. 1691)
- Solomon Terry (1675-1677)
- Rebecca Terry (1676-?), died young
- Samuel Terry (~1678-aft. 1691)
- John Terry (~1683-aft. 1691)
- Abigail Terry (~1686-aft. 1691)
- Samuel Wadsworth (~1646-1682), never married
- capt. Joseph Wadsworth (1648-1729/30), "The Hero of the Charter", m1. Elizabeth Talcott (Savage apparently lists her as his second wife and say's his first was Elizabeth Barnard), m2. Mary Blackleach (widow of Thomas Welles and of John Olcott)
- Jonathan Wadsworth, died young
- Jonathan Wadsworth, m1. Hepzibah Marsh, m2. Abigail Camp
- Ichabod Wadsworth, m. Sarah Smith
- Joseph Wadsworth (1682-?), m. Joanna Hovey
- Elizabeth Wadsworth, m. Jonathan Marsh
- Hannah Wadsworth, m. Aaron Cook
- Sarah Wadsworth (~1649-1705), m. Jonathan Ashley of Springfield
- Samuel Ashley, m. Elizabeth Kingsbury
- Jonathan Ashley, m. Elizabeth Olcott
- Joseph Ashley, m1. Mary Mix, m2. Mary Steele (widow Goodwin)
- Sarah Ashley
- Rebecca Ashley
- Thomas Wadsworth (1651-1725), m. Elizabeth Barnard
- John Wadsworth
- Sarah Wadsworth (1681-?), died young
- William Wadsworth, died young
- Elizabeth Wadsworth
- Sarah Wadsworth, m. Thomas Burr
- Rebecca Wadsworth (~1686), m. Jonah Gross
- Thomas Wadsworth, m. Sarah ?
- Hannah Wadsworth
- William Wadsworth
- Rebecca Wadsworth (~1656-aft. 1682)
My 10th Great Grandfather, John Wadsworth [Sr.]
Born about 1632 in England. Married in 1662 to Sarah Stanley (she died 1718, dau. of Thomas Stanley & Benet Tritton. Died 1689.
Resided at Farmington, CT, and was representative 1672-7 "and was nominat[ed] in  of Assist. but not chos[en] until 1679, had distinct. in the milit[ary] and with the Gov. and others was of the standing council for affairs in Philip's war." (per Savage)
- Sarah Wadsworth
- Samuel Wadsworth (1660-1731), representative, m. Hannah Judson
- Hannah Wadsworth (~1693-?)
- Sarah Wadsworth
- Samuel Wadsworth, same as Dea. Samuel Wadsworth (~1674-1734)?
- John Wadsworth [Jr.] (1662-1718), representative, m1. Elizabeth Stanley, m2. Mary Humphrey (widow Gridley)
- Sarah Wadsworth (1697-?)
- Elizabeth Wadsworth (1700-?)
- John Wadsworth (1702-?)
- Daniel Wadsworth (1704-?) "Y.C. 1726" (?)
- Lydia Wadsworth (1706-?)
- Ruth Wadsworth (1711-?)
- Mercy Wadsworth (1713-?)
- Mary Wadsworth (1665-?), died young
- William Wadsworth (1671-?), representative, m1. Abigail Lewis, m2. Sarah Bronson or Sarah Bruce
- William Wadsworth (1697-?), died yonug
- Mary Wadsworth (1700-?)
- Hannah Wadsworth (1701-?)
- Abigail Wadsworth (1703-?)
- Ezekiel Wadsworth (1704-?)
- William Wadsworth (1709-?)
- Nathaniel Wadsworth (1674-1761), representative, m. Dorothy Ball
- Eunice Wadsworth (1706-?)
- Timothy Wadsworth (~1709-?)
- Esther Wadsworth
- Sarah Wadsworth
- Nathaniel Wadsworth
- Mary Wadsworth
- Hezekiah Wadsworth
- Timothy Wadsworth, same as Timothy Wadsworth of Boston who m. a Susanna?
- James Wadsworth (1677-?), presumably the same James Wadsworth (?-1756) of Farmington who was colonial representative (1700-1752) and speaker (1717)
- Thomas Wadsworth (1680-?), m. Miriam Beckley
- Hezekiah Wadsworth (~1682-?)
My 9th Great Grandmother, Sarah Wadsworth
Born 1 Nov. 1657. Married Stephen Root. Died 20 Mar 1740.
At least 5 children (first 3 baptised together on May 17, 1691):
Lawson, Stephen M. "Terry-Wadsworth From the files of Stephen M. Lawson" website last modified 2/4/10 (note to self: re-find the URL).
Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Before 1692, Volume #4 Vinton - Wainwright.
Go back to the Tree and main Index Page or to the Ahnentafel Page.
Webmaster: Greg Weatherup
Last Updated: Sep. 23rd, 2010.