home
samples
mp3.com reviews
music
visual arts
links

C R O W L E Y ' Z   W O R L D
M P 3 . C O M   R E V I E W S

after joining mp3.com with my own music, i noticed that the situation there resembles pretty much the "real world": charts are filled with rather boring, mediocre dance-pop-stuff, while it's hard to find the interesting and innovative artists. but there's no doubt that they exist, just try some of the links below.
if you know about great music on mp3.com which i didn't discover yet, please let me know.

GOODMAN AND CLEAN

a dj/producer duo from berlin, making some really high quality jazz (well, not the kind of jazz you can find on your parents' old records, rather like saint germain, jazzanova, herbert or jimi tenor, just to name a few...); they're covering about every style from downtempo songs (featuring quite arousing vocals by miss ekko ;) to danceable drum&bass / house beats. taste it!
listening tips: kommit, turn out the lights

SENSUAL PHYSICS

though clearly influenced by basic channel minimalism and detroit techno atmosphere, this man has developed his own style, ranging from romantic downtempo ballads (inner particles, sensual overload) to straight techno (sensuality); always with a very distinct, transparent sound and a perfect feeling for delay / reverb rooms. in his own words: "each one of my tracks tells a story" - so you should be patient if you want to follow it.
listening tips: childhood sensorism, dortmund bei nacht, sensual overload

DIGITALVEREIN

this project seems to represent the more techno-ish and danceable side of sensual physics, though with a similar clarity and the same thorough sound selection. i personally enjoyed it even more than s.p., and people just love those german track names, don't they? ;)
listening tips: alte halle, entkernt

SPARK

an idm prototype, just great to listen to. childish, yet thoughtful melodies together with distorted electronic beats, interrupted by awesome ambient soundscapes. i'm not exaggerating :)
listening tips: eopi, tintc, the grey box

NOISEMUSIC

quote: "NOiSE (new objectives in sound exploration) is a non-profit group dedicated to creating sound [music] using microchip technology." sounds simple, but the music they give away for free easily blows away at least 99% of what is being sold in record stores.
touching every style from breakbeats over techno to afx-ish ambient soundscapes, most of the tracks will blow your mind if you are in love with electronic music. especially check out tobias wilton's pieces, he's definitely the man.
have a look at their really beautiful website (www.noisemusic.org), too.
listening tips: sunday, room for 1, a decent society, shanks, we do what we are told

DALEZY

dark electronica from berlin, and again something to listen to at night. sharp, sweeping pads and spooky strings combined with cutting electro beats, with kinda paranoid vibes. this is music to scare little children with ;)
listening tips: knab paws, superplex

SHAPES & FORMS

definitely one of the best acts i found on mp3.com so far. deep dub-influenced techno tracks with an unbelievable atmosphere. you shouldn't try to check their music out in a few minutes; wait until it's dark, take your time and listen with good headphones. if you're into chain reaction / basic channel / maurizio style music, shapes & forms is an absolute must.
listening tips: ctv0, import, loco.motive