An e-mail interview with RICK HAPPY, editor of HAPPY HOUSE, one of the best (and, at the price of £0.00, cheapest) zines in Britain...

How long have you been doing Happy House and what inspired you to start it? Has the doing the zine greatly changed your life?

Too long, put the bugger to sleep! No actually Happy House has been going for about five years now and has seen 12 issues and a website. Inspiration to start a fanzine wasn't really the way it happened writing a zine really came about by sheer chance and evolution. The first HH was just a newsletter for our then label Smile and Be Happy records with news about the label. We then decided to make the newsletter a bit more interesting by adding news, interviews, reviews and a column or two and hence Happy House was unleashed onto an unsuspecting scene and much to everyone's dismay is still around. But I have been inspired by other fanzines prior to Happy House and during its life. To name a few I would say Problem Child, Raising Hell, Flipside, MRR, Suspect Device, UK Resist, Search & Destroy, Sniffin Glue, 10 Years On, Charred Remains, Chemical Warfare, Real Overdose, Mad Monks, Artcore and many more that I could name but would end up with pages of fanzines. Basically every fanzine I read gives me something that I think "I like that" or better still "That irritated the shit out of me" if a fanzine doesn't give me a reaction then I probably don't think much of it.

In terms of changing my life, well only that it keeps me up 'till all hours of the night and I've got use to getting by on about 4 hours sleep a day. The endless supply of top sounds and definitive reading material is a real plus and visiting the PO Box always feels like its Xmas again. I've met or had contact with some really cool people and interviewed people that were names on the back of a record sleeve that I've admired for years. So without it I wouldn't have had all that but I guess what you've never had you've never missed. So I wouldn't say it's changed my life, more that it's made me realise how few hours there are in a day and how many cool people are in the world that you may never get to meet.

Why is your zine named after a Siouxsie and the Banshees song?

Well just to be awkward I'd like to be able to say that I'm a raver and that Happy House is named from that type of house/rave dance music. But I'd be lying and so in answer to your question - Yes is the easy answer; I've always liked the Banshees' music and attitude. But to be absolutely truthful, the answer is that I wanted the zine to be titled something different from every other zine of the time. 5 years ago and pretty much prior to that most punk zines were called very nihilistic names and I wanted the title to say something more, something positive, something not so damn miserable and depressing. So the link up to Smile and Be Happy records, a positive name and the Banshees song sort of fused together and seemed to fit nicely. So this is the happy house, we're happy here in our happy house!

Are there ever times when you feel like packing in the zine? What would make you give it up?

Oh yes many times. Usually about 4am when I struggling to hold my eyelids open while typing reviews, writing columns or transcribing interviews. Or another time is when I've got so much on apart from the zine and just can't see when I'll have the time to get the zine started, finished and out. When I get bored with the zine itself, I'm very self critical and when something I've done is shit - I'm the first person to say so. I go through phases where I drastically want to change HH in some way to break its routine, find something new to do, change the way it looks, whatever. I'm at that point at the moment and the last few issues have reflected that I think!

When it's time to call it a day I will do. Basically when HH is not relevant, is so stagnant, piss boring and I can't think of anything else to write about. Then I'll stick it in a coffin and cremate it without a second thought.

Do you think there are too many zines out there, or is it a case of "the more the merrier"?

That's a difficult one, yes and no. Yes in the respect that if more fanzines come out then there will be less people who buy the existing charging zines as they obtain them free for review or in trade and therefore something has to give and some zines will give up as they can't make their costs back. On the other hand I love to see new zines and the fresh enthusiasm, energy and attitude that they bring. Sorry this is such a contradictory answer but that's my thoughts on it maybe some zines need to call it a day and let the new ones set the pace, I don't know really it is a tough one. But there's definitely an impact when more zines are coming out mainly in terms of charging zines are the free ones subsidise themselves and don't rely on a fee being paid.

What, in your opinion, makes for a good zine? Conversely, what can make a zine stink?

Well in my opinion the traits of a good zine are personality, honesty, attitude, the ability to stretch the boundaries and take risks. I like a zine that has the writer's hallmark all over it, not just a piece of paper that has the typical reviews, news, interviews stuff. I want to see something from that person in there that's about them in some way whether it be their thoughts, irritations, loves, hates, whatever. I like to see something that's different from every other zine not something that's copying the current faves otherwise you may as well buy the NME or Q or something off the shelf in WH Smiths. What makes a zine stink? Taking a hearty crap on it first! Just being pedantic. I guess whinging zines annoy me, where they moan about irrelevant crap like some singer in some band farted over someone's pint or something as equally inane. Anarchist diatribe that has been covered so many times in the same way in every other zines since the beginning of time - you know "Kill the Bill", "Bash the Fash" and "Bring down the Government" stuff that is a load of hot air that means nothing. I would rather see some real information about how you're going to do all these things in an organised, effective and "it will actually last more than one day" kind of manner instead of "let's riot 'cos it gets the adrenaline running and I can brag about it to my mates in the pub next day - even though it achieved zilch!" The only other thing that makes zines stink is backbiting and letters pages!

Are the "Smile and Be Happy" label and distro now officially defunct?

Yes, we've still got some distro and label stuff to shift so if anyone's interested you can write for a list or check the website (when I get the page uploaded! Guess I better do it now I've said this). The label is pretty much over - lost too much money and just haven't the time to dedicate to it. The label was just one hassle after another and also again time to do it properly just isn't available to me. I'd rather do one thing properly than lots of stuff that's half arsed. So I made a decision a while back to cut back stuff that wasn't happening and also to ease the pressure on myself. I'm a workaholic and if I don't step back and say no then I'll just burn myself out and that has happened too many times in the past.

Has the birth of your daughter meant that you've had less time to devote to the zine? (I suppose the answer to this question is obvious but I was wondering how much it's affected the zine, and your life in general...)

Not really, initially it did because being a new parent and having to be up basically all night after working all day is a little tiring and so the zine did take a back seat. But now Ellie is coming up to 2, she's in bed for about 7 and sleeps right through so it doesn't affect the zine. Having a child certainly makes you realise a lot of things like what is important and what's not. It really puts your life and life in general in perspective also it's so rewarding watching them grow up - and that's fast!
To be honest work has more of an impact on the zine as I work very hard - I enjoy it though - maybe because it's my own company therefore I put in more hours than I would in a normal job. There's always something to do, issue 13 has been delayed because of work and also college assignments as I'm doing two qualifications one in accountancy and another in teaching.

Who is the best interviewee you've featured in the zine? Who would you like to interview but haven't yet?

Oh that's really difficult, I guess I'd have to say Dave Smalley and Wayne Kramer were the two most interesting people I've interviewed and nice with it. I guess I've picked them also because of their links back to some of the music that has inspired me personally over the years. They were both very open and I had the opportunity to talk about other things apart from their bands. Also I think that their interviews stand out as probably the best of all the HH interview which are on whole average. Who would I like to interview but haven't that's a good one, I probably would like to interview someone either totally unrelated to the scene like a head director of the CIA or MI5/MI6 who would be honest about national security issues (no chance!) or Tony Blair getting straight answers (again no chance!) or someone like Mark Thomas. In terms of the scene I would probably like to interview Al from Flipside, John Lydon on a serious level, Debbie Harry and Mark Perry (had the opportunity but not the time!).

Are there any other zines in particular that inspire or excite you?

Yes loads of them, Fracture is a great project and I admire Dave's vision and Russell's ability to meet deadlines now (ha!) I think they're made a big impact with what they're trying to do and I think they need commending from their drive. Suspect Device, Real Overdose and Vision On are always a constant source of inspiration and always make me smile. There's always a host of new zines too that inspire me to continue and change what I'm doing but just too many to mention.

Do you think that paper-based zines have a future with the increasing availability of Internet access?

Honestly? No. I think that paper-based zines are dead! Mainly because people don't buy zines at gigs, most are sold by mailorder and there's only a finite pot of people that will buy them. People want the information but aren't necessarily prepared to pay for them, hence the upsurge in free zines. Which hasn't been helped by HH as it has always been free. This suggests the lack of demand for zines in a paper based paid format, yet there's an increasing supply of new zines and a decline in people buying. So there's only so long that people will sustain the losses. The internet grows daily, hourly even and as technology advances and we gain better, faster and greater bandwidth connections either by satellite or cable then the internet will be a far more useable source of high multi-media information.

Another factor is the arrival of internet access through your TV - it's here - Sky, On Digital and most cable companies are pushing this with an interactive keyboard that sits next to your remote. You can even get connectivity with Dreamcast. So you don't need a computer to access the internet you can use your TV. In 6 months to one years time the net will have doubled or maybe tripled its accessibility ratio and that means that people can have up to date global information 24hrs a day 7 days a week at their finger tips for next to nothing. Would you be paying for zines it you could log into a website on your TV and find out everything you wanted?!

I've seen this coming for a while and that's one of the main reasons that HH has a website with every issue of HH on. I'm sure this isn't what people want to hear but the internet is the ultimate punk/DIY tool it's free to both the punk community and to the zine writers (if you ignore the obvious general costs for telephone calls/ISPs etc. but those are even becoming free or low fixed rates) so what's the problem?! Technophobia! You can communicate with people from across the globe in real time and soon the technology will be available for true video conferencing - remember the video phone idea!

You want to bring down the government? Then the computers are your strongest weapon - the film War Games is a reality with another arrest last week of a teenager hacking US security systems. In the 21st Century information will be the key to power, wars/conflicts will and are involving system hacking to fight the enemy on a cyber level. So the paper zine is dead, long live the website!

What do you think of the punk scene (a) in Hull and (b) overall in the UK these days?

For either a) or b) - it's not really a good time to ask me I'm a little disillusioned with it all. Don't wish to sound negative, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find any new bands that blow me away with originality or attitude. Maybe I've been around too long, I don't know but I do go through periods like this when every review sounds the same as the last and then suddenly a scruffy tape with some hand written inlay card turns my world upside down. I'm waiting for that at the moment. I could yarn on about the fabulous Hull-folks but everyone knows about them and it just sounds like a load of arse kissing so I won't.

Have any bands particularly impressed you recently?
Errr, not really. At times like this I have a trip down memory lane and listen to some golden oldies. Listening to Leatherface, Dead Kennedys, Clash and Blaggers at the moment.

Are you REALLY as happy as your name suggests?

Well unfortunately yes I am of a happy disposition. I don't see the point with being fed up and miserable life is for living and that's what I intend to do. As they say it takes less muscles to smile than to frown and I'm all for saving energy. Also there's a better sense of irony to die with a smile on your face than a scowl. Also check out the face of a person who threatens to kill you and then you smile at them with a hint of sarcasm they don't know which way to take it - are you a nutter? Or are you looking forward to it? Either way it makes them a little unsure. Nothing like the unexpected to fuck some one up! So yes, I'm happy enough. It's mainly one in the eye for those that what to whinge, grip and moan and anyone who thinks its cool to be nihilistic.

Anything else to say, sir?
Well not really I've talked enough shit as it is. Final words I guess would be thanks for the interview and the chance to really bore your readers. Also anyone who's got this far without turning swiftly over the page at having to listen to some dickhead zine person's views check out our website at: www.cert.demon.co.uk/hh/. Thanks Paul for your time and space in your scary zine of the kebab variety, how many requests do you get for Reader's Ewes! Baaa the jokes get worse you know! Goodbye, farewell folks.

Issue Three
Dina
The Donnas
Dugong
Eighty Six
Happy House

Sloppy Seconds

Issue Two
Discount
One Car Pile-Up
The Queers
Parasites