Savage Garden Concert Reviews
June 29, 1998: Minneapolis, MN: Mall Of America
Fan Review
By Ginger Brown
  I recently went to the Savage Garden concert at the Mall of America.  It was called Jam for Hunger for
  the MN food bank.  Cleopatra was the first opening act.  They were great; I love the song 'Cleopatra's
  theme (comin' atcha)'.  After them was a group called The Blenders, they were a local group, and they
    were really good too.  They reminded me of the Backstreet Boys.  Then came the big one, Savage
 Garden.  It all started with the band coming out along with the backing singers, Anna Maria Laspina and
  Nicole McIntyre.  Then Daniel came out, at first it didn't look like him, but then a light got on him and
 you could tell it was. Darren appeared on top of a platform that had two sets of stairs leading down.  He
  first appeared as a shadow until the spotlight shinned down on him.  The concert wasn't as good as an
  indoor concert as far as costumes, but it was a very theatrical oriented show.  They sang most of their
  songs.  The ones they didn't sing were 'A Thousand Words', the technicians started the music, but they
 cut it off because that was where a costume change was supposed to be and they didn't do it.  'Fire Inside The Man' is the B-side they didn't sing, and that's a shame because it is a great song.  Among the songs they sang were 'Tears of Pearls', 'Violet', Promises', 'Break Me Shake Me', 'Santa Monica', 'Moon and Back', 'Truly Madly Deeply', 'I Want You', 'Carry On Dancing', 'All Around Me', 'This Side of Me',
  'Love Can Move You', and 'Mine'.  They also sang Joan Osborne's song 'One of Us', part of Nirvana's
  song 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', the Bonnie Raitt song called 'I Can't Make You Love Me' with backing
  singer Anna Maria Laspina, and part of a song that I think is called 'Sugar Pie Honey Bunch', it's an old
 50's song. During Santa Monica Darren stopped singing.  When the band stopped playing, he spoke to the crowd telling them how he had control over the beat of the song and when the band played.  When Daniel told Darren to "Sing already” Darren replied in a smart-ass tone, "I think I would like to be reminded of what key I have to sing in."  Daniel played a key and Darren started singing finishing off the song.  During a drum solo Darren threw a fit saying, "Stop it, Stop it!  You can't do that, this is my show!  I am the only one who gets to do anything!  Danny, Danny, stop him, stop him!"  Then Darren runs to the platform behind the drummer, plops down on the platform and screams "STOP IT!!"  The drummer stops and the crowd goes wild.  During the costume change for 'All Around Me' Daniel and the other guitar players jammed a little.  Then a cluster of disco balls lowered from the ceiling and Darren and the two backing singers appear in Austin Powers like costumes.  Darren is in a white coat with sunglasses, I couldn't see what color, and the girls were in fluffy pink and blue coats.  This was the best performance of the whole show.  Darren walked to the front of the stage and grabbed his crotch, then he acted surprised with an "Oops, did I just do that" kind of embarrassed look on his face.  The backing girls
walked up to him and gave him a scolding look and pushed him out of the way.  Anna started dancing and
  then Nicole pushed her out of the way and she started dancing.  Darren was standing back watching the
  whole thing, then he walked up to the stage pushed them both out of the way and started throwing the
  tantrum that it was his show and they couldn't do that. During his tantrum he kicked Anna Maria in the
     butt after he pushed her away.  He then continued to wiggle his butt and grab himself.  It was a
  high-energy performance and by the end I was exhausted from screaming, yelling, jumping and singing,
 just from that song.  The show ended with an encore, they did 'This Side of Me', a great B-side.  Darren
   was supposed to pick a girl from the crowd but instead he just walked down off the stage and walked
  around the first section of seats.  He also sang 'Truly Madly Deeply' for an encore.  After that they said
  their good-byes everyone started leaving.  My friend and I tried getting autographs, but we couldn't get
 back stage and the DJ's from the station that put the concert on wouldn't go back and get a picture signed
 for us.  After that we left and I am still buzzing from the concert.  I can't wait for the next one.  If you get a chance, check them out!  You will never forgive yourself for missing it.  It is a night of entertainment and music you will never forget.  A word of wisdom, take plenty of film, trust me from personal experience, one role is not enough.  My friend would also like to give a word of wisdom.  "Never sit next to Ginger Brown, she has a slight, shall we say, OBSESSIVE MADNESS towards Darren."

By Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Jon Bream
             In only its second U.S. concert, Savage Garden came across as chameleonic popsters, capable of dreamy romantic pop, dance pop, Europop and karaoke pop (covers of 'One of Us,' 'I Can't Make You Love Me' and 'I Can't Help Myself'.... Lead singer Darren Hayes, 26, seemed alternately pseudo suave, pseudo campy or charmingly lost.... He didn't seem quite sure how to relate to his partner, guitarist-keyboardist Daniel Jones, who was largely in the background. Unwisely saving both hits for last, Savage Garden made its 85-minute set seem overlong. There were winning moments, including an Austin Powers-meets-Spice Girls treatment of 'All Around Me,' 'I Want You' (with its staccato disco-beat verses and peppy pop-choruses) and the dreamy sing-along 'Truly Madly Deeply.'

Click here to return to Crystal Minds and Magenta Feelings