GARY FINDS A PEARL IN THE OYSTER!!! October 10th 2006

Gary has sadly parted company with Drum Workshop, and - for the Level 42 tour he is currently on, is using Pearl.

To quote...

"Regarding the drums, yes, I've now officially left DW Drums and returned to Pearl Drums, through Pearl Corporation U.S. It's a much more solid experience, physically and sonically."

"They've fixed me up with a Masters set in black to do this tour with while they work on specs and stuff for my real kit. Looking forward to that. I've got re-enforcement rings in the shells of this set - not my preference, but it's okay for the size of halls we're playing."

"The metal snare I'm using (Chad Smith Signature model) is much funkier, lighter, sharper for this band particularly, so I had them deliver one. It's nice!! Much happier already! Back to my beloved die-cast hoops, and some true weight in the lower end generally."

So - there you have it! Check out the tour schedule - though most - if not all - tickets have been sold for the UK leg.

The Gallery.

I hope you enjoy them.

Regards - The Webmaster

FORCE MAJEURE IS SELLING FAST!!! February 18th 2005

The tickets for Force Majeure are selling fast!!!! To avoid disappointment, go to the
Live Dates section to find links to the venue nearest to you!

FORCE MAJEURE RETURNS!!! January 7th 2005 (Updated 16th February 2005)

Following the success and wonderful reviews from last year, Gary (along with Randy Brecker, Jerry Goodman, Jim Beard, Elliot Mason, Matthew Garrison and Arto Tun碯yaciyan) will be touring the UK this year!
This, alongside Gary's performance with Level 42 on February 13th - details are found on Level 42's website, signals a busy couple of months.
Click here for the Force Majeure dates!

UPDATE!!! Here is a recent Newsletter...

The Agency Group International presents:

GARY HUSBAND'S "FORCE MAJEURE"
National Tour: 26th February - 8th March 2005

Featured in "The Hottest Tickets Of 2005" -?The?Guardian, Dec. 2004

Following the resounding success of the Contemporary Music Network and BBC Radio 3 commissioned UK tour which premiered in March 2004, Gary Husband's Force Majeure is returning, by public demand, one year on, to perform a further series of concerts on stages across the UK.

One of the most captivating and electrifying drummer/pianist/composer and arrangers in contemporary music today, Gary Husband leads an extraordinary handpicked all-star cast of some of the world's most distinctive, creative and ground-breaking musicians through an unforgettable performance of original music.

Performers: Gary Husband (drums/piano)/ Randy Brecker (trumpet)/ Jerry Goodman (electric violin)/ Jim Beard (keyboards)/ Elliot Mason (trombone/bass trumpet)/ Matthew Garrison (bass)/ Arto Tun碯yaciyan (percussion).

Known throughout the world as a first-rate drummer, working with artists as diverse as Jack Bruce, Billy Cobham, Allan Holdsworth, Level 42, Gary Moore, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, and Andy Summers, Gary Husband's solo recordings reveal him to be a pianist, composer and bandleader of outstanding merit and one who knows no musical boundaries. This tour profiles this exceptional ability with original compositions alongside unexpected and innovative interpretations of Burt Bacharach, Bj?and John McLaughlin, representing an opportunity for Gary to express what is at the very heart of his creativity and to reach new heights in his quest for an original and genre-defying sound.? The BBC Radio 3 Jazz on 3 commission comprises a suite of music inspired by magnificent architectural structures and with its unusual instrumentation gives great scope for exploring new sounds and textures, conveying the composer's passion for harmony and form as well as the influences of musical visionaries from Stravinsky, Faur頡nd Tippett through to Stan Kenton, Miles Davis and Joe Zawinul.? Force Majeure provides all the elements to exploit not only Gary's own full creative potential but also that of the illustrious ensemble he has brought together especially for this project, each an original musical force in their own right

Each member of this exceptional line-up has been hand-picked for their own commitment for breaking new ground and refusal to being affiliated to any one genre.? One coup is that this band is the first to bring violinist Jerry Goodman back to the British stage since 1973 where he appeared as one of the original members of John McLaughlin's influential jazz/rock fusion band Mahavishnu Orchestra.? There Goodman used his violin to create phrasings and sonorities previously associated with the electric guitar, which he has since expanded to create a dynamic and aggressive style that fuses rock with classical.?The fact that star trumpeter Randy Brecker sounds like no-one else also made him a dream choice for this line-up.? A highly versatile player, Randy has been shaping the sound of jazz, R&B and rock for more than three decades. His trumpet and flugelhorn performances have graced hundreds of albums by a wide range of artists from James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, Chaka Khan, George Benson and Parliament-Funkadelics to Frank Sinatra, Steely Dan, David Sanborn, Horace Silver, Jaco Pastorius and Frank Zappa. Randy teamed up with his brother Michael first in the band Dreams and then famously in the popular funk-orientated Brecker Brothers during the 70s and again with a much-heralded reunion in the 90s. Joining Force Majeure on bass is Matt Garrison, the son of John Coltrane's bassist Jimmy Garrison, who has also made a name for himself as a superb player, performing and recording with artists such as Herbie Hancock, Chaka Khan, Joe Zawinul, Joni Mitchell and producing his own solo recordings for his label GarrisonJazz Productions.?

Iconoclastic keyboardist Jim Beard has played and recorded with Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, John Scofield and Mike Stern as well as being an accomplished composer, arranger and producer presiding over recordings for Michael and Randy Brecker, Bill Evans and Victor Bailey. Armenian percussionist Arto Tun碯yaciyan has strong ties with his musical heritage, although his music also reflects the multicultural influences to which he has been exposed since emigrating to the US in 1981. Having worked with leading jazz and world musicians Arto also performs across the world with his newly formed Armenian Navy Band.?British rising star, Elliot Mason joins this stunning group on trombone and bass trumpet.

John McLaughlin describes Gary Husband as "a musician whom I have known and admired for many years, not only for his wizardry at the piano, but for his artistry on the drums.?Immense musical talent."? High praise indeed but no rarity from Gary's contemporaries and critics who have cited him as a "genius", "an amazing talent", "a musician at the height of his powers", "an original!". A diverse talent from the word go, Gary studied classical piano under Fanny Waterman, playing with the Syd Lawrence Orchestra and undertaking cabaret work with the likes of Lulu and Matt Monro in the early years of his career.?Since this time Gary has inhabited a number of musical worlds and built up a hugely impressive biography.? Establishing a partnership with Allan Holdsworth in the late 70s, he formed another long term association in the 80s as drummer, writer and keyboardist with Level 42 with whom he still tours extensively.?Gary has also led his own groups worldwide and has made a number of acclaimed recordings including his latest CD Aspire (Jazzizit) featuring Billy Cobham, Christine Tobin, Mark King, Hamish Stewart and others. A live DVD from his last tour Gary Husband's Force Majeure - Live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall (RSJ Groove Productions) is scheduled for release to coincide with the forthcoming tour.??

Taken from the Media Flyer.

Please make a date, and come and join Gary on this musical extravaganza!

GARY PLAYS WITH JEFF BECK!!! November 14th 2004

Gary played keyboards alongside Jeff Beck and vocalist Beverley Knight, during the UK Hall Of Fame Finals in London this past week.
Playing drums was the inimitable Mark Mondesir, and brother Michael was on bass.
The feature was as a tribute to one of the crowned Founder Members, Bob Marley. This was shown on UK's Channel 4 on the 14th at around 10pm (the show started at 9pm). The actual awards were done on Thursday 11th November.
Mark and Mike are currently touring with Jeff Beck - click
HERE to find out more.

UPDATES AND APOLOGIES FROM THE WEBMASTER!!! March 30th 2004

Well - Gary has completed his Force Majeure shows, and by all accounts, it was well worth the wait!
May I at this point apologise for the lack of updates, but I have been in the process of moving house over the past month, and with all the preliminary details to sort out beforehand, it has been difficult for me to put up any news on this site.
Now that it is all over (don't move house unless you really have to!), I will keep you abreast of all things happening with Gary in the up and coming months. Watch this space!

A JOINT VENTURE FROM GARY HUSBAND, MARK & MICHAEL MONDESIR!!! December 16th 2003

RSJ Groove Productions are proud to announce the imminent release of the Mondesir Brothers (Mark on Drums, Michael on Bass) on a new media "To The Power Of Three". Gary features on both keyboards and on the drum set.

The Product will be available as a CD/DVD or together as a box set. The DVD features interviews & special features such as a mind warping double drum solo between Gary and Mark captured on a 5 camera shoot offering alternate camera angles making sure we captured one of the most awsome performance of recent years by some of the most awesome musicians on the planet.

For more information - and to order, go to
RSJ Groove Productions.

FORCE MAJEURE 2004 - THE TOUR! December 15th 2003

Apologys, as this is a little late in coming, but Gary has announced the UK tour starting on Wednesday 3rd March 2004

One of the most original and electrifying multi-instrumentalists and composer/arrangers in the international jazz and fusion arena, Gary has been bending the rules and breaking down musical boundaries for the past 25 years.

Force Majeure presents the combined forces of twice Grammy-winning trumpeter Randy Brecker, transcendental electric violinist Jerry Goodman (a key member of Mahavishnu Orchestra), maverick keyboardist Jim Beard (John McLaughlin, John Scofield, Bill Evans), eloquent trombonist Elliot Mason (Natalie Cole, Maria Schneider), propulsive bass talent Matthew Garrison (Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Joe Zawinul Syndicate) and impassioned Armenian percussionist Arto Tun碯yaciyan (Joe Lovano, Wayne Shorter, Don Cherry) with Husband himself playing drums and acoustic piano.

This tour will premiere Husband's new works penned specifically for the project including a major new BBC Radio 3 ?Jazz On 3? commission, alongside his unexpected and innovative interpretations of the music of Burt Bacharach, John McLaughlin and Bj?

The concerts will take the audience on an evocative, exuberant and compelling sonic journey, exploring new territories and reviewing more familiar landscapes with fresh eyes.

Click
here for the dates!

APOLOGIES FROM THE WEBMASTER.... August 23rd 2003

Having just returned from a vacation, I have found that some idiot had left a script within the guestbook - which runs and asks whether you want the contents of your Windows directory placed in the recycle bin!

I managed to look at the offending guestbook entry, and have deleted it.

I AM SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT IF THIS CONTINUES, I WILL SHUT DOWN THE GUESTBOOK.
I am loathed to take such action, but it is for the protection of everyone else who legitimately uses this site.

I hope you understand, and I hope not to take this drastic action.

My kindest Regards... Terry Arnett

UK CLINIC PERFORMANCE BY GARY July 19th 2003

Gary will be performing a clinic in his home town of Leeds, England - on Tuesday, 5th August 2003.

The venue contact details are...

John Scheerer and Sons Limited
88-90 Merrion Centre
Leeds
LS2 8NG
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom
+44 (0)113 244 9592

You can see their website
www.scheerers.co.uk to find out more.
But, I think you know what to expect!!!!!!

ENJOY!!!!

FORCE MAJEURE CONCERTS POSTPONED!!! January 22nd 2003

Unfortunately, these concerts have been postponed until Spring of 2004. Problems occurred during Gary's tour with Level 42, and as a result Gary has had no alternative but to delay the gigs now until next year. Gary has been busy with his own Trio, and his up and coming live work with Julian Siegel. So, Gary will be busy nonetheless.

EXCLUSIVE BILLY COBHAM "SPECTRUM" TOUR PICTURES! June 6th 2002

Gary has recently sent me some wonderful shots of rehearsals and tour snaps of the latest Billy Cobham "Spectrum" Anniversary concerts.
Appearing with Billy was Gary, the amazing Dean Brown on Guitar and the equally amazing Lee Sklar on Bass.

I have added these images (including one from the Steve Topping sessions!) in the
Gallery Section. You must see these!

Gary is busy at present, but he assures me (and all of you) that an update will come soon.

Of course, please keep checking out the site for any new news.

By the way - if YOU have any news you would like to have posted - then send them to me either
here or from the link on the front page.

Bye for now... and Peace to all of you. Terry

NEW STEVE TOPPING ALBUM IN PRODUCTION and BILLY COBHAM "SPECTRUM" TOUR DETAILS! March 16th 2002

Gary has been extremely busy recently...

He has just finished recording drum tracks for the new Steve Topping album, "Late Flower".

Gary states...
"... Jimmy Johnson plays bass on the record, and I feel it is going to be a great release for Steve. The music is really focused and strong and I'm happy with the way the playing came off too."

I for one cannot wait for the finished product!

Now, he is just getting ready to go on the Billy Cobham ("Spectrum") tour of the States ... Click
here for where BC is playing.

Straight after Gary comes back on the 15th of April, he will go immediately to Italy to do some solo piano concerts (of the Allan Holdsworth material) in support of "The Things I See" being released over there (through Italian Sony).

Then he embarks on the European leg of the Cobham "Spectrum" tour.

Finally, I have revamped the
Gallery Section, on the behest of Gary, and realising that the navigation around the Gallery was tedious to say the least! You can now go direct to pictures rather than having to trawl through all of them! I hope you like the new format.

Phew! - That's it for now. More news will come as it arrives!

THE TRIO IS NOT DEAD! March 6th 2002

Gary, after a successful stint at Ronnie Scott's, will NOT be disbanding the Trio.
Gary is now going to focus on a European audience - a vision he had from the start, but was forgotten for some time.
The album "Aspire" will be out eventually, but we as yet do not know on which label.
As Gary says..."...For all those in Europe, we'll be introducing ourselves to ya real soon!! Look out for us. With or without an album for the moment."
Also, Gary features very well on the new Level 42 DVD/CD of a recording in Reading, England last December. What a joy to see him in action!
It's a MUST for all Gary fans - though the sound quality is not brilliant (on the DVD) the visual aspect is stunning!
I hope to bring you more when the news arrives - Terry.

GARY IS ON THE ROAD! February 1st 2002

Gary, in conjunction with
Zildjian International, has embarked on a series of UK clinic dates through February.
Gary promises to cover a diverse range of styles in these clinics - from big band, rock and funk, to forms of jazz and fusion - and different playing situations.
As Gary explains...
"I'll be working on application, group interplay, confidence and projection. There will be open discussion, anecdotes and much, much more!"

Click
here for the dates!

SOME GOOD - AND SOME BAD NEWS 20th December 2001...

Firstly, profound apologies for not having any news sooner.
Gary's reasons for this are as follows...

Gary will be breaking up the New trio right after we play our final week at Ronnie Scott's in February of next year.

Thank you for all your continued support.

I am now planning a completely different kind of piano led project, and of course a drum led ensemble for the future.

Gary recently got through a major European jaunt with a group called North By Northwest, (with Billy Cobham), playing piano. It was a good tour - all over Europe.

Immediately returning Gary recorded two tracks with Gary Moore and Jack Bruce for a new blues tribute album, (no idea of any details yet), and then got stuck into rehearsals for the Mark King dates.

Finally... the big yellow kit got sold at the end of November!
A guy bought it out of huge passion ... just got in touch out of the blue! It finally went for ?2000- a real bargain!

That's it for now!

I hope to have more updates for you in the New Year.

May Gary and I both wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas - and a Happy New Year!

MORE STUDIO NEWS 6th June 2001...

Gary has in the studio, recording some tracks to make up a live album he has finished compiling of the trio, to be entitled "Souvenir". This will be an album that will be available at appearances, independent from any record company.

He has also made a start on "Aspire", having already got four pieces recorded with Mick Hutton and guest Billy Cobham on drums. The album will be under my name and not especially the trio's, and the rest of the tracks will have guests like maybe Christian McBride, and drummer Jeff Tain Watts, or Jack DeJohnette (if they are available).

On the 12th of May, Gary was in the studio again to record the vocal tracks, firstly with Mark King, then Hamish Stuart (ex Average White Band) for another one, then Christine Tobin (who will record the female vocal trio numbers).

9th March 2001
REVISED PRICE FOR SALE OF PEARL DRUM KIT!

Gary has drastically reduced the price of the Pearl Masters Custom Drum Kit that he used before his move to Tama. Click here to find out more!

1st March 2001
FOLLOW UP TO PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENT!

There is now a mini production team representing Gary and his musical endeavours - especially active at the moment regarding "THE THINGS I SEE - INTERPRETATIONS OF THE MUSIC OF ALLAN HOLDSWORTH" and it's imminent release (on April 1st.), available exclusively over the www.artofliferecords.com website!Here's what (guitarist and composer supremo) John McLaughlin has recently said ...

"It has been a considerable time since I heard a truly new kind of recording.This is one of those, and in addition it is from a musician whom I have knownand admired for many years, not for his wizardry at the piano, but for his artistry at the drums!
As a musician for the great majority of my life, I can inform you that this is no small accomplishment.

In this recording we hear him playing the music of another innovator, guitarist Allan Holdsworth, whom he has accompanied at the drums for many years and is intimately acquainted with his music. I recall a concert of Allan in London some years ago, and after the performance I went to see him backstage only to tell him that if I knew what he was doing, I'd steal it!"

The guitaristic prowess of Allan is well known amongst the musical, and particularly, the guitar community of the world. Along with his mastery, his musical conceptions and compositions are equally well known and admired.

It is perhaps the marvellous combination of Gary's immense musical talent as a pianist, and his knowledge of Allan's strange and beautiful music from the point of view as a drummer who knows so well the rhythmic intricacies of his compositions that make this recording so appealing to me.

Thanks Gary!"John McLaughlin. February, 2001"

24th January 2001
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Greetings!
We are pleased to inform you that Art of Life Records will be releasing a wonderful new album by Gary Husband within the next two to three months!!

GARY HUSBAND-"THE THINGS I SEE"
(INTERPRETATIONS OF THE MUSIC OF ALLAN HOLDSWORTH) AL1002-2

Highly acclaimed for his associations with Allan Holdsworth, Billy Cobham, Level 42, Jack Bruce and his own "New" Trio as both a drummer and keyboardist, Gary makes his solo piano debut on Art of Life Records with these dynamic new interpretations of Allan Holdsworth compositions. Using layered, multi-tracking and "drum kit" piano approaches, Gary preserves the essence and originality of Allan's music while, at the same time, providing the listener with an exciting and totally unique personal musical statement.

Available March/April, 2001. For ordering information and to be added to our mailing list please send us an email at

[email protected].

... "His piano playing is one of the best kept secrets in music"... Billy Cobham

For ordering information please visit our web site at:
www.artofliferecords.com.

Sincerely,

Paul G. Kohler
Art of Life Records

STUDIO NEWS...

Gary has been in the studio in London working on tracks for legendary British saxophonist Dick Heckstall-Smith's new album. Produced by the equally legendary Pete Brown this "blues and beyond" type record project also features Clem Clempson, Mick Taylor, Jack Bruce, Zoot Money, Eric Clapton among others.

He is shortly to start work on a Hendrix tribute album with a guitarist named Ron E. Carter (under his name) which also features Mike Mondesir on bass.

Gary is also making plans to go in the studio myself to put together the remaining up to date tracks for his "Flesh To Wood" album by recording more solo tracks, keyboards and drums, (as opposed to the earlier plans to include Steve Topping, Mo Foster, Liam Noble etc. - that'll be an electric band album to follow). He will be recording tracks including the City Nights number he wrote for Allan Holdsworth (featured on his "Secrets" album) ... all put together himself (aided by a bass player who Gary has not chosen yet). The album will still feature the live Allan Holdsworth band material from Tokyo circa 1990.

30th June 2000
"Gary Husband's Double Vision"
London's Rhythm Sticks Festival. 15th. July, 7.30, Purcell Room on the SouthBank.
Part 1) The "New" Gary Husband Trio
Part 2) The Drum Concert.
Gary Husband - Piano, Drums, Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar.
Mick Hutton - Bass, keyboard.
Gene Calderazzo - Drums, Percussion
Special Guest: Adam Riley - Latin Percussion.

Bookings - online at www.sbc.org.uk, or phone 020 7960 4242.
TICKETS: ?10 (?2 OFF CONS.)

Gary has most recently been presenting more of a multifaceted output,corresponding with a wish to provide more of an equal platform for the manyand varied musical areas he is active in. He has firmly established himselfin the drum world from his notable associations over the years with artistssuch as Allan Holdsworth, Level 42, Jack Bruce and Gary Moore, but is alsoequally productive as a pianist, keyboard player and writer.
It is in thisrealm he has been regularly performing and recording with the likes of BillyCobham and Randy Brecker amongst others.
He has produced his own drum video,(Improvisation & Interplay On The Drums) but has recently also released twokeyboard based solo albums of his own; "Diary Of A Plastic Box", and "FromThe Heart", by his increasingly popular "New" Trio featured in the first halfof this showcase.
Following the interval the emphasis for Gary turns to drums, performingfar-reaching newer compositions to his own backing on CD (including a piecefor acoustic guitar), duets with Latin Percussionist Adam Riley, GeneCalderazzo, even a rousing new percussion composition involving the fourparticipants of this evening's show all together.
Not to be missed!

25th June 2000
Gary is currently applying devoted effort into compiling material for twomore up and coming solo records.

The record labels details still seemtentative at this moment, but one new follow up from his "New" Trio willappear, (on the back of last year's From The Heart) to be entitled "Aspire".

Also at last, the debut drums album by Gary; "Flesh To Wood".

Consisting of Allan Holdsworth Group "live" group material recorded in Tokyo,1990, unused personal masters of tracks he's recorded over the recent years,present day electric band compositions, it looks likely the CD will appearsooner rather than later.

Other releases due out featuring Gary's recent endeavours include; "Time", byIwan Van Hetten, two Jim Mullen Quartet sessions - "Live In Glasgow", and anew one reinterpreting the music of Robert Burns.

The retrospective Husband / Topping / Carmichael album, "What It Is"(consisting of archival studio performances by Gary, Steve Topping and PaulCarmichael circa 1980) looks certain to be available in the very near futurethrough Audiophile Imports, while Steve is also working hard finishing hisfollow up to last year's "Time & Distance".

Gary's Live work includes his special showcase (opening London's RhythmSticks Festival this July 15th.) at the South Bank's Purcel Room. Entitled"Gary Husband's Double Vision" the show will cover a set by his New trio, anda drums performance based second half featuring duets (with trio drummer GeneCalderazzo) ... even acoustic guitar pieces! He also expects to fulfill avery short term of dates later July in the East Coast of the Statescontinuing with Allan Holdsworth and Jimmy Johnson.

The New Trio, incidentally looks set to play it's second week long engagementat London's Ronnie Scott's Club (commencing 7th. August). Ronnie Scott'sClub, a week commencing October the 16th. Jim Mullen Quartet performs.

Gary looks likely to work once more on a rumoured repeat of Mark King Live atthe Jazz Cafe this year (rumoured to be around November).

This page last updated October 10th 2006.

Back to Gary

Take Me Home

This page has been visited times.
Return to Top