Gary Husband
"My Views" by Terry Arnett

For me, it all started back in 1985, when I had the pleasure of seeing Allan Holdsworth playing a gig in Ealing (the home of his bassist Paul Carmichael). I was flabbergasted at the change of dynamics of their drummer. I had to find out who it was.
It was Gary Husband.
I went about buying all the Holdsworth records to hear more of this. His playing can be very delicate - almost silent. Then, he would erupt like some violent volcano bursting its top.
It made think more about the way I was playing. I was plodding along with pop bands at the time. This is no disrespect to the guys I was working with, but the "pop" medium doesn't allow for virtuosity - you could only inject liitle spurts of genius in amongst the solid basis that needs to be in a pop song. I was also into Level 42 at the time. I liked the way Mark King and Phil Gould complimented each other - it is also difficult to be a virtuoso as a drummer when the bass player plays in the style that MK does!
I respected that. Phil played with such control, only doing what was necessary for the song. In 1988, Level 42 stated that two of their members were leaving. One of them was the drummer. I wondered who was to replace him. The choice was better than I imagined...

The Level 42 years...

The Famous 
Hammersmith gigs of 1990

Gary had been linked to Level 42 in the past. Phil had threatened to leave back in 1985. Gary actually sat in for a week before Phil decided to come back. But to find Gary as the resident drummer for them was great for me.

Our first 
knowledge of Gary's involvement with Level 42, taken from Rhythm in 1988.

I got to see them at Wembley in 88 (or was it 89?) and was blown away. I saw them a couple of times after that - once at Crystal Palace, once at the Odeon in Hammersmith and again at the Town & Country. Being a member of the Level 42 Fan Club, I was surprised to see them advertise Gary's Yamaha kit for sale. I had to buy it!
After sending off a bid, and obtaining a loan to pay for it, I managed to get hold of the kit. It was the first time also met Gary in person.
It was here that Gary told me that he was no longer working with Level 42 on a live basis, however he was to to do studio work in them.
What transpired later was that Phil Gould - who was also working with the guys again - would not work on ANY of Gary's material! Gary's written work with them was great, so why Phil wouldn't play them is beyond comprehension.
The link with Level 42 was now well and truly broken.

The Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit in Cobalt Blue. 
There are only 2 kits of this model in this colour, 
the other is owned by Manu Katche.

Here is a picture (Thanks Gary!) of the drum kit I brought from "Hubbo" himself.
Thanks to Gary for the opportunity of a lifetime to "sound like thunder!".

Just for the record, the kit comprises of the following...

22" x 16" Bass Drum
8" x 8" Tom
10" x 10" Tom
14" x 12" Tom
12" x 10" Tom
8" x 8" Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
18" x 16" Floor Tom
14" x 5.5" Snare Drum
And 2 flight cases of hardware (all Yamaha)
I also use a 13" x 3.5" Premier Brass Piccolo Snare,
and a Yamaha 12" x 5" Stage Custom Snare in Raven Balck.
As for bass pedals, I use either...
Tama Flexi Flyer, or
Dixon PP970 Double (right lead)

As for cymbals, well - all Zildjian...

13" K/Z Hi Hats
19" K Custom Dark China
6", 8" & 10" A Custom Splashes
17" A Medium Thin Crash (Brilliant)
20" A Ping Ride
18" A Medium Crash (Brilliant)
20" A Medium Ride (Brilliant)
16" A Medium Thin Crash (Brilliant)
13" K/Z Hi Hats reversed (should that be Z/K?)
20" A China Boy Low

Heads, well Remo really,

Ambassador Coated for Snare Batter
Ambassador Snare for bottom
Ambassador Clear or Coated for Tom Batters
Ambassador Clear for Tom Bottoms
Pinstripe for Bass Drum w/Falam Slam patch

Sticks...

Zildjian Gary Husband model (what else!)
Also ProMark Hot Rods
and Regal Tip Brushes w/rubber grip.

Life after Level 42...

Is Gary contemplating throwing the drums out of 
the window?- Never!

Since Level 42, Gary has indeed been busy. He already kept his links with Allan Holdsworth, working on a couple of albums and playing live.
He has also done clinics for both Zildjian and Pearl.
He has also been working with Jack Bruce, firstly with the Cities of the Heart tour and with Jack Bruce & Friends.
He also has toured with Andy Summers - he was the guitarist for The Police through 1978-86 (another band I greatly admired!).
On top of this, he has also recorded and toured with Billy Cobham (another drum god!) - in fact the drum duel between Billy and Gary (down to singular, alternate beats) has to be seen & heard to be believed. You can hear it on Billy's album "The Traveler". Click here to hear it (Real Player needed).
He has recorded and toured with Gary Moore - his drumming on the album "Dark Days in Pardise" is exquisite. Also check out Gongzilla's album "Thrive".
He also has recorded with Iwan Van Hetten on his album "Time". I am honoured to have a rough mix of three tracks from that album - and, yes, it sounds great!
One last mention must be for his work with his long time associate and cohort Steve Topping.

Paul Carmichael, Steve Topping and Gary.

Steve recording with the Gary Husband Group

He is a fantastic guitarist. Steve actually joined Level 42 before the recording of "Staring At The Sun", but nothing concrete came from it, which was a real shame.

Steve and Level 42!

Steve putting up with Mark's antics!

I am very pleased that Gary, Steve and Paul Carmichael agreed to release the album "What It Is", which dates back to 1980.
For more information about Steve and his activities, check out his web site here.
He has also released his own material. He has two wonderful CDs out at the moment - "Diary of a Plastic Box"
and (under his new band as leader of Gary Husband and the New Trio) "From The Heart".
In 1997 he released a video "Interplay and Improvisation on the Drums"(Rittor Music), now obtainable through Hal Leonard distribution. Order it through www.halleonard.com and www.musicdispatch.com, where he teamed up with Allan, Jack Bruce, Gary Moore, Paul Stacey, Steve Topping, Mick Hutton and Mark King.

Thanks again to Gary for providing the information. I would also like to thank him for his support and inspiration. I have had the immense pleasure of being invited into his home, where he played and showed me demos of up and coming projects, of which a copy has been sent to me by Gary
He has an amazing video of the Mahavishnu Orchestra that he played to me - he also made a copy of this any many other drum shows!
Billy Cobham was absolutely awesome! I feel forever indebted to him, so thank you Gary!

Talent like his needs to be recognised, therefore I emplore you to support him. His up and coming releases should be well worth the wait!
We are truly not worthy.
Long may he continue.

Return to Top

This page last updated June 25th 2000.

Back to Gary

Take Me To The Sticksman