Gary Husband
Selected Quotes from other musicians.

Gary in Jimmy Dean mode!

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH SPEAKS.
" ...... I didn't enjoy working in UK very much; it was really a static, clinical kind of hospital environment I didn't like. I wanted to get out, and I had met Gary at that time, and it was really obvious to me that I wanted to work with him. I started I.O.U. with him, although at first it was just him and myself until we found (and eventually settled with) Paul Carmichael.

Q. Did you find Bill Bruford's playing to be as clinical as the music he was playing?

He wasn't the same kind of player as Gary. Gary's a real improviser, and I didn't see Bill in that way. I like Bill and his music, but it was a different thing. They're like chalk and cheese. There's nothing wrong with either of them, but I wanted to work with a guy who was really improvisational, and Gary's pretty much of an improvisational genius to me. It's like he's always coming up with new stuff; you never know what you're gonna get from him, whereas Bill wasn't like that. With Bill, it was kind of a fixed thing. As far as I'm concerned, Gary's one of the greats. He's an amazing drummer, and he's always been special to me because the way he plays the drums within my music is about as close as you can get to the way that I "hear" it. It's always been like that, and I've known him since he was about eighteen."

Gary with Allan pondering on the next line of attack!

STEVE TOPPING SPEAKS.
" Gary is that rare thing ... a profoundly musical person - who also happens to be a professional musician. That is unusual - believe me I know !

On the living music scene, beset by impostors, passengers and clowns, it has been and probably always will be a battle for real talent to flourish. We should therefore count our blessings in someone like Gary Husband ...

He is a frontline warrior who has such a power to move ordinary people - they do not fail to hear his gifts. It will eventually be through ordinary people that his name is spread. I look forward to that and know it won't be too long.
� STEVE TOPPING 1/5/2000

Gary Husband with Steve Topping (What It Is days)

BILLY COBHAM SPEAKS.
"I've always enjoyed listening to Gary play. I remember he consulted me about some of the problems he was experiencing during his time with Level 42, because he had to play very hard and there was a lot of tension in his upper body. From that point on the camaraderie grew, and in the event of us playing, (the drum duet track on his "Traveller" album) he came and played wonderfully. A wonderful character on the drumset.
His playing is ... It's funny, I was going to say he plays drums like a pianist, but that's a hard thing to say when you hear, for instance, Jack DeJohnette. I mean, he's a pianist, and a very accomplished one, but his is a completely different approach. What I mean is that Gary has more definition.
He does seem more typical of a keyboard player in his approach to drums than Jack, but there's no pluses or minuses - it's a different concept that's all.
I find it easier to accept what Gary does faster on a musical level that I would what Jack might do."

"You should hear the tunes Gary writes, plus the way he plays. The guy's a genius.
Gary's a three-dimensional man. I first heard him on an Allan Holdsworth recording in the early '80s. My impression was that this is where I'd like to be, in terms of my overall musical musical presentation through the drumset.
Gary looks at music from a three-dimensional creative perspective, in that he's able to view a performance from the keyboardist's, guitarist's, and drummer's position.
This means that what's played on the drumset is quite in sync with the musical information emanating from any of the three instruments working in a particular musical presentation ... and he does this rather effortlessly!"

Gary with Billy 'hamming it up!'

"DENNIS'S FAVOURITE DISCS". Dennis Chambers talking to Modern Drummer, Sept. 1994.
"As far as records that I use for inspiration, I really enjoy Allan Holdsworth records with Gary Husband on drums.
I have I.O.U. and all that other stuff Gary played on. He's bad, man.
I remember when I first saw him play, back in 1979, I knew there was something special about that guy.
He just woke up one day and said, "Yeah, I think I'll ride with my left!"
That Holdsworth disc Vinnie (Colaiuta) plays on is real nice also (Secrets).I also dig anything with Marvin "Smitty" Smith on it.
Everything that Vinnie, Marvin or Gary play on I'll enjoy."

Gary with Dennis and Pearl rep George Frederick outside the Jazz Cafe in London during Gary and Dennis' Zildjian and Pearl clinic.

GONGZILLA'S HANSFORD ROWE SPEAKS...
"Gary is always moving forward as he plays. Even minimalist grooves are alive with purpose. He's the man".

Hansford's work can be found at www.lolorecords.com.

(Bassist) JEFF BERLIN SPEAKS (ON DRUMMERS)...
" ... I played with Gary in Allan Holdsworth's band. We played some pubs in England (during the early days), then some bits in the U.S. He's very aggressive and very prolific on the instrument.
He understands polyrhythms and the variety of powerful events you can do on the drums. And he also obviously can play in a great "time" feel or groove too, because Level 42 is a strong pop band with Mark King's great bass playing".

MARK KING SPEAKS ...
"A brilliant all-round musician. It was great with Gary. He has the most fantastic metre of any drummer I've ever met".
"He is the most talented musician I've ever, and probably ever will work with - and I've played with a lot!???."

Gary Husband with Mike Lindup, Mark King 
and the late Alan Murphy (RIP) - Level 42

ALAN SKIDMORE SPEAKS ...
... "The drummer I've always been looking for"

Gary with Alan, probably in a hotel foyer!

ANTHONY HINDSON SPEAKS ...
(Talking about his album "It's A Curious Life" on Wind In Hare Music) ... "It is a deep blessing in my life to have had the opportunity, as an English composer and guitarist, to record this music with some of the most talented musicians in the world. It was a wonderful experience for me to work with these unique artists who not only became my teachers over the years in various ways, but also close friends... While Jack (Bruce) was on tour in the US he introduced me to his drummer, Gary Husband. Gary's enthusiasm to play on this project translated to brilliance on both drums and keyboards. His boundless and untiring creativity into the wee hours and beyond was unsurpassed..."

Taken from the album's liner notes with permission.

Gary with Anthony and Jack Bruce during the sessions.

TONY THOMPSON SPEAKS ...
"I have two favourite drummers who influenced me majorly, two different ends of the spectrum: Tony Williams and John Bonham. Tony's still my favourite drummer although there are a lot of guys that I admire immensely like Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta, Gary Husband, and Mr. Bad Boy, Dennis Chambers".

DAVE WECKL SPEAKS ...
" ... Sharing the stage with us (at Ronnie Scott's, London, June 1999) and opening every show was the Jim Mullen Quartet, great guitarist with Gary Husband playing drums ... that was a treat as well.
Gary is such a great drummer, and an equally great pianist (!) as is evident on his new CD".

MARK BRZEZICKI SPEAKS ...
"My favourites are Manu, Vinnie, Simon Phillips, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd, Phil Collins from the Brand X stuff, Harvey Mason, and then going out further into areas there's Cobham, from that fusion stuff, to Lenny White, to the other guys that have been doing it.
I love Gary Husband's playing - stereotypical drummer's drummers, you know. I'm a big fan of the drummer's drummer but always have been."

Mark Brzezicki behind his Pearl drum kit.

NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN SPEAKS ...
"Dearest Gary,
Who plays drums better than you? Nobody! Who plays with more passion, heart and heat? Nobody! Who has more speed and dexterity? Nobody! Nobody, if not you. You are what I am and more!

I have been very busy producing a Christmas album, associated with UNICEF to be released in Japan, having already done one song with Sting and Yolanda Adams and another with Yazawa, who in Japan, is a very big star.

Looking forward to playing with you again.
Keep in touch.
Peace out.

Narada"

Narada sweating it up over his Pearl Kit.

Please take the time to check out his web site at www.naradamichaelwalden.com

Gary celebrating with a gaggle of prime UK drummers in 1990. 
Notes - Gary stands between Mark Mondesir and Preston Hayman.
Mel Gaynor is in the backround, as is Pete Thomas (The Attractions)
In front of Gary are Dougie Vipond (Deacon Blue) and Frank Tontoh.
To the right, note Dave Mattacks hitting Phil Gould on the head with a balloon!
You may recognise Trevor Thornton, Jody Linscott, Mark Price and others.

My thanks goes out to Gary and all the participating musicians for
supplying the material and allowing me to reproduce the articles.

Return to Top

This page last updated 14th September 2000.

Back to Gary

Take Me Home

This page has been visited times.