Gary Husband
Jack Bruce Gig 1992.

DICK HECKSTALL-SMITH BENEFIT DAY - JACK BRUCE
(Bull's Head, Barnes, London, 1992)

"...By the time the old Gretsch kit every other drummer had agreed to use had been dragged off to be replaced by a shiny yellow Pearl one, the room was packed. The four guys standing next to me had tickets for Joe Cocker but they weren't leaving until they'd heard Jack Bruce. I think the whole of Fulham must have heard Jack Bruce. I had seen Bruce and Clem Clempson together at the beginning of the 80's with Cobham and Sancious, and that night is firmly etched in my memory as one of my favorite ever gigs. Also etched is a night at the end of that decade when I saw the same set of songs unmusically murdered, the night I wrote off my '60's heroes. So I was apprehensive. And isn't it bizarre that Gary Husband - a guy who was only nine at the time Cream went sour - is sitting in Baker's seat? I needn't have worried. Gary's modern style fitted well; in fact I think it did him the world of good to get his chops into some classic rock and away from Level 42. And the set was brilliant. If they only had the two hours of rehearsal that Jack claimed then they have an empathy that should be bottled." - Derick Thomas

Gary with Allan and Jack backstage during the tour.

Return to Top

Back to Gary's Reviews

This page last updated April 11th 2000.

Back to Gary

Take Me Home