Even though the story is, by most estimates, over 1000 years old, Beowulf continues to capture the imaginations of scholars and students worldwide.  It is unique in the fact that its allure is not limited to the area of English literature.  Beowulf has crossed the usually impregnable scholarly boundaries to captivate archaeologists, anthropologists, historians, sociologists – why there’s probably even a zoologist or two just dying to discover the lair of Grendel and put that mystery to rest.

For more about the oldest Anglo-Saxon tale in existence, choose from the following:

The Manuscript
The known history of the manuscript and a discussion of research conducted to determine the manuscript’s age.

The Monsters and the Hero
Synopsis of the monster-slaying episodes, and discussion of Beowulf's motivations in each episode.

Scyld Scefing and Sutton Hoo
Includes the Scyld burial passage from Beowulf (in both Old and Modern English) and information about the archaeological find at Sutton Hoo, as well as links to various informative Sutton Hoo sites.

The Tale of Beowulf
An outline of the tale, and links to both the Old English and translation of Beowulf.
Historical Background
Having trouble keeping track of all of the names, places and incidents mentioned in Beowulf?   So am I. Why don't we check out the information I retrieved from Dr. Zatta's notes and handouts?

Finnsberg Episode
A brief description of the Finnsberg Episode and both the Old English and Translation of the Finnsburh Fragment.

Old English Grammar
This is an Old English grammar study guide in MicroSoft Word© format. You'll have to download and unzip it to view it in Word©.

Bibliography
Every work needs a Bibliography.

BeowulfLinks
Kevin Kiernan's Electronic Beowulf Project at the University of Kentucky
 Old English Manuscripts
Old English Index at Virginia
Resources for Mediæval Studies
Beowulf Criticism
The Labyrinth at Georgetown
Robert Hazenfrantz's Beowulf Bibliography
The British Museum
Back to the top

Mediæval Wares
Design Toscano

Mediæval Cooking
Rialto Archive–Mediæval Recipes
FoodWeb ®: Indexes and Guides to Recipes
Byzantine and Medieval Web Links
Cariadoc's Miscellany: Recipe Alphabetical Index
Food Links
Internet Resources for the Anglo-Saxon World
Confrérie de la Malemort
ArchiePlex Results
Mead Recipes
Cock's Fine Brews - Mead Recipes

Interesting Places

You thought Shakespeare had the last word on Richard III?  Think again.  Visit the Richard III Society (American Branch) and meet the real Richard Plantagenet – the much maligned mediæval monarch – and the people who know him as "Good King Richard."

He may have gotten Richard's story wrong, but I don't hold it against him.  Take a trip to the Shakespeare Web and enjoy learning about the bard and his works.

Back to the top      Back to My Homepage

Questions or suggestions regarding this homepage are welcome.  Feel free to contact me at [email protected].

This page was constructed by Rachel Zirkelbach for English 509, taught by Dr. Jane Zatta at SIUE, Spring Semester, 1997.

Copyright ©1998 Rachel Zirkelbach
All Rights Reserved

This page created with Netscape© Navigator Gold.