The picture shows my maternal grandmother, Elizabeth O'Donoghue (née Hutton). I never knew her, as she died before I was born. According to my mother, she, like many Irish wives, 'kept the show on the road' in the family's somewhat nomadic existence. At various times, the family lived in Glenbeigh, Co Kerry, Mallow, Co Cork, and addresses in Dublin. The children spent holidays with their maternal grandparents in Hacketstown.
The picture shows my maternal grandfather, James O'Donoghue. As my mother was quite ill and disabled by sciaticia for some years when I was small, my grandfather, who lived with us then, was the adult to whom I was closest (apart from my father) until I was 8 or 9 years old. I walked with him to the allotment which he tilled during the 'Emergency' (as World War II was known in neutral Ireland) on the site of the Polo Ground in the Phoenix Park, and about the city. Our two most regular walks in the city were, each Sunday, to Mount Jerome Cemetery, to visit the grave of his wife; and our annual tour, on St Stephen's Day (Boxing Day), of the Cribs (Nativities) in Dublin churches. Our walk to Mount Jerome took us through Clanbrassil Street with its shops of what would now be considered antiques and bric-à-brac, the crowded windows of which were fascinating Alladin's Caves to me. He told me lots of stories about his youth and his life as a young man, and of his great hero, the county Wicklow landlord Charles Stuart Parnell, the leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party, only some of which I now remember.