The Bridge House, Baltinglass: This was my granduncle Joe's pub. The photograph must have been taken in the late 1920s or the 1930s. I believe the people in the photo to be his widow Bridget Hutton (née Quinn), her unmarried sister Mary, and my mother. Because of Mrs Hutton's republican loyalties the pub was a target for both British army and Free State army reprisals during the War of Independence and the Civil War which followed the Anglo-Irish Treaty and the establishment of the Irish Free State. In the 1920s my grandaunt employed a woman whose husband had joined the British Army and been killed in the First World War. This woman was placed in a dilemma each year as Armistice Day (11 November) approached: when the purchase - and wearing - of a Poppy from Empire loyalists like Colonel Dennis of Fortgranite (one of the 'big houses' near Baltinglass) was likely to incur my grandaunt's anger.
A wedding party: My mother stands near the centre of this photo. Her hands are on the shoulders of a man in the kneeling row in front of her who resembles her father. The young man to his right holds a melodeon.