05/06/03 TV Guide Spoiler for A Tangled Webb airing 5/20/03:

The naval drama's eighth season comes to a close, leaving fans with a cliffhanger and Harm once again searching for Mac.

“This year has been a bear,” says executive producer Donald P. Bellisario, speaking of the pregnancy of lead Catherine Bell. “Suddenly everything we were planning for the season had to go out the window.” For the finale, Bellisario decided not to try to hide Bell's condition. Instead, he has Mac pose as the pregnant wife of CIA agent Clayton Webb (Steven Culp) while on a secret mission to Paraguay, where they are captured by terrorists. When no one gives the hot-headed Harm permission to rescue her, the impulsive commander resigns his commission and heads for South America.

04/29/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Pas de Deux airing 5/13/03:

Mac and Clayton Webb move in a world of drugs and terrorism while on a CIA mission in Paraguay. Meanwhile, Harm asks a CIA attorney (Laura Putney) for help in tracking down Mac, but ends up helping her in a personal matter which puts the pair in an awkward situation.

From Kip 04/24 - 04/28/03:

Question: You already told us that Mac wouldn't be defending Harm. Can you tell us if Mac will be in next week's episode?

Kip: Very briefly.

Question: What kind of role will Mac play in Harm's court martial? We know that the new JAGs will defend and prosecute the case.

Kip: Not much since she was too pregnant to work.

Question: There also isn't any evidence linking Harm to the crime scene if it is the bridge. No evidence linking him to her after she left Benzinger's either. Very circumstancial evidence,

Kip: Almost all murder convictions are made on circumstancial evidence.

Question: One lesson I've learned (and, believe me, it works for any business and divorce settlements LOL): if you want 10 ask for 20 and in the end you will probably get your 10. I'm sure DJE (or his agents) asked for more only to get what he/they really wanted. They wouldn't have closed the deal if they  didn't like it,

Kip: SPOILER SPACE for those who don't want actor press agent release fantasies to spoil their images AND ALSO for those who don't want any clues about the LAST EPISODE.
 I
 h
 a
 t
 e
 s
 p
 o
 i
 l
 e
 r
 s
 p
 a
 c
 e
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /
Of course agents ask for the moon, but, while DPB wanted DJE back he made it clear he was prepared to go on without him. Even thought new blood in the show would eventually give it even longer life...look at Law & Order and NYPD Blue. He even had an actor in mind and a story line.

CBS then agreed to renew the show with or without DJE.

It was only when this happened that DJE settled for less than the 300 number quoted in his press agent's release.

CB has another year on her contract so their was never a question of her coming back.

LAST EPISODE
additional spoiler space
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
When you see this episode you will realize how far in advance DPB planned for what he knew would be a possible renewal without DJE. That's show biz.

Question: Kip, you once described the season fanile this way..."Some fans will be screaming "yes!" and others will be screaming "No!"...Is this statement still true (with the return of DJE)?

Kip: I think so. But it's just my personal opinion.

Question: Will the last episode of this season be a cliffhanger to be continued in the first episode of next season?

Kip: It will indeed.

Question: Have we seen the last of Commander Lindsey for this season?

Kip: No.

Question: What about his so-called "report" to the SecNav? Have we seen the last of them?

Kip: Don't understand this question. He made his report, the Sec Nav didn't buy it (due to Manetti's secret report) and Cmdr. Lindsey was dismissed as the Sec Nav's JAG aide.

04/22/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Lawyers, Guns and Money airing 5/06/03:

Mac travels to Paraguay with Clayton Webb (Steven Culp), where she poses as his pregnant wife as part of a CIA mission to stop a drug lord (Marco Rodriguez) from selling missiles to terrorists. Meanwhile, Bud defends Turner when his adequacy in a case is challenged. Wahib Shawwaf: David Akert. Alvaro Camacho: Louis Aguirre. Gunny: Randy Vasquez.

04/22/03 Zap2it.com Spoiler for Meltdown airing 4/29/03:

Harm Goes on Trial for Murder on CBS' "JAG" (04/29/03)

Mark Harmon ("Chicago Hope"), Michael Weatherly ("Dark Angel"), David McCallum ("The Man From U.N.C.L.E." ) and Robyn Lively ("Chicago Hope") Guest Star

"Meltdown" - After a JAG officer is found murdered, Harm is arrested for the crime and now goes on trial, on Part Two of a two-part JAG, Tuesday, April 29 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Scott Brazil directed the episode from a script by Executive Producer Donald
P. Bellisario and Don McGill. Mark Harmon ("Chicago Hope"), Michael Weatherly ("Dark Angel"), David McCallum ("The Man From U.N.C.L.E." ) and Robyn Lively ("Chicago Hope") guest star.

The case against Harm appears to be very strong, but Agent Gibbs (guest star Mark Harmon) begins to have doubts about his guilt despite the incriminating evidence. As Gibbs leaves for the Middle East to question a senior Arab terrorist about an impending attack against a Navy ship, he asks his team to dig deeper into Harm's case in the hopes that they will find new evidence that points to another killer before the verdict is read.

From Kip 04/17 - 04/24/03:

Question: I understand the RL situation with CB, but are there any plans to explain Mac's behavior (or lack of it) in these eps? One thing jumps out right away. Why is she not even considered for defense council? Will that be explained?

Kip: Yep.

Question: I suspect none of the headquarters Jag staff will be considered for defense council. They are all potential witnesses for the prosecution and/or defense.

Kip: You got it. New lawyers, new judge.

From Kip 04/17/03: WARNING--some POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

Question: Given the premise of "Ice Queen," is CBS showing any indications about yanking it, at least temporarily, after the discovery of the body of the woman who might or might not be Laci Peterson?

From Kip 04/08 - 04/17/03: WARNING--some MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

Question: That stinks. It's fun for fans to speculate, but for Paramount to post that on their site just ruins it. Don't get me wrong - I'm not blaming somebody for posting it here, (In reference to the Paramount page spoiler)

Kip: DPB is! He personally sent a 'bunker buster' into the Paramount web site offices. Not sure how many survived.

Question: Was it Nancy's decision not to come back or DPB's?

Kip: DPBs decision.

Question: Was this planned all along or after Nancy decided not to come back? Was she "consulted" on the story (how she leaves)?

Kip: No to both.

Question: Since you said that NC's departure from JAG was not her decision, but DPB's, is DJE upset/mad about this?

Kip: Don't know. But I kind of doubt it.

Question: Since the paramount website posted the plot of Ice Queen, Has DPB considered rewriting the episode?

Kip: He just finished directing it. He couldn't rewrite it if he wanted to...and he doesn't. There is more to this episode than who is murdered. Much more.

Question: I, too, was wondering, since you said, Kip, that it was DPB's decision and not NC's for her not to return, at least as Singer, if you could tell us (and maybe you can't) why he made that decision and also if he plans to use her in some other capacity or in another show. Also, could you tell us when that decision was made? Am I wrong in remembering that you'd said earlier she was going to return next season? Was the decision made only for story purposes or were there other reasons (maybe you can tell us that much even if you can't tell us the other reasons, if there were such).

Kip: DPBs decision. Made months ago. Can't imagine her in any other shows. No further comment necessary.

04/15/03 Zap2it.com Spoiler for Season Finale (Title TBA) airing 5/20/03:

Finale Date: Tuesday, May 20 at 8 p.m. ET
Description: Harm puts everyone's life in danger when he quits JAG, defies orders and heads to Paraguay to rescue Mac and recover the stinger missiles.
Will It Return: To Be Decided

04/15/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Meltdown airing 4/29/03:

Harm's court-martial begins and it looks like he doesn't have an alibi, but he realizes he may have an unlikely ally in Special Agent Gibbs (Mark Harmon). Meanwhile, Gibbs tries to get information from
Amad Bin Atwa on the location of the next ship attack.

03/19/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Ice Queen airing 4/22/03:

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service interviews Adm. Chegwidden's team after they discover that a body washed up from the Potomac was a JAG, and the deceased may have been murdered. Harm: David James Elliott. Mac: Catherine Bell. Turner: Scott Lawrence.

(NOTE: This is the pilot episode for the spin-off and will be continued in the next new JAG episode.)

MORE: (4/11/03):

The long-running military drama showcases a possible new series in a two-part story that places JAG's high-flying pilot-turned-lawyer under criminal suspicion. Part 1 begins when a body that washed up from the Potomac is discovered to be a JAG officer. While Adm. Chegwidden's team is  stunned by the news, members of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (the focus of the spinoff) suspect foul play and begin questioning the officers. NCIS agents Leroy Gibbs, Tony Dinozzo and Viv Blackadder (Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherly, Robyn Lively), along with Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard (David McCallum), think Harm (David James Elliott) is hiding something, but a crucial piece of evidence leads them to deduce something far worse.

From Kip 03/26 - 04/8/03:

Question: Are Harm and Mac going to have a scene together that is more than a minute long ?

Kip: No

Question: Not even in the cliffhanger?

Kip: Oh, yes. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to shows we are still filming. Sorry. Yes, they spend time together in the cliffhanger.

Question: I understand very well that CB, due to her pregnancy, can't have more screen time on the show and I know that, for this year, she has finished to act. But, frankly, even in those little "tidbits" of her  presence that TPTB gave to us, I was hoping in... ehm..something "more consistent" between Mac and Harm. So..... my terrible question is: is it over b/w them?

Kip: I don't know. I didn't ask them. I think it's their personal business. I mean do you must walk up to friends and say, "Is it over between you?" Maybe you do, but i don't. And is what over? Was it ever there in the first place?

Question: Kip, will we possibly see a marriage proposal from the Admiral to Meredith this season? Do you know if Cmdr. Manetti will be back next season? Thanks

Kip: Yes and no. Or is it no and yes? I get so confused at this point in the season.

Question: I was wondering if you plan the Lindsey storyline in the beginning of the season or it was designed later to prepare for the spin-off.

Kip: The Spin-off story was set up early this season. The seeds of the story go back many,. many episodes. How many? Ah...that would be revealing too much.

Question: It kind of makes me wonder if TPTB set that up in earlier seasons sort of as a *tentative* solution incase ratings went low or they ran out of ideas.

Kip: We won'r run out of ideas, but if the ratings are low it's been a great run and we'll all move on.

From Kip 03/20 - 03/26/03:

Question: Can you tell us if the issues in the episode 20 shocker will be resolved within that episode, or does the story line carry on for several more episodes until resolved?

Kip: Issues in 20 will not be resolved until the end of 21.

Question: ...also understood that the new Navy and Marine officer being introduced would be joining JAG, not the spin-off series. I guess I'll have to see if I can find Kip's post to clarify what I read...unless he'd like to just take a moment and clear it up in a new post.

Kip: The Marine Major and Navy Lt. Cmdr. are JAG officers in episode 21. How they will be used next season remains to be seen.

03/19/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Second Acts airing 4/1/03:

A hero is investigated for misconduct after it's revealed that he misrepresented himself when he joined the Navy.

In Uzbekistan, Petty Officer Wilson (Bruce Ramsay) is caught on film saving lives during an attack. When the footage runs on TV, a woman (Holly Fields) recognizes him as her husband's former business partner, Matthew Devine, who she thought died with her spouse in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. While Turner gets to the truth about the deception, Harm helps the widow, who doesn't understand why Devine won't tell her the details of that tragic day. Meanwhile, Adm. Chegwidden (John M. Jackson) considers retirement when Sheffield shows him a bad report on JAG performance.

3/10/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Fortunate Son airing 3/18/03:

Turner and Harm investigate a decorated Marine and Vietnam War veteran, who may have been smuggling Vietnamese girls into a sweatshop in Baltimore.

From Kip 02/25 - 03/10/03:

Question: If I understand it right, the season finale is done already. But *what if* the show will be not picked up for another season? Have you filmed two endings? One for the case it will continue (the cliffhanger) and another just for the case it will be end of the show?

Kip: We are optimists. We are only filming one ending--a cliff hanger.

Question: What can you tell us about the episode on 3/18 ?  (I've heard Jamie Denton will be there).

Kip: Jamie Denton will be in the A story as an INS Officer Daniel Roizman.

Question: Kip, I hear Jamie Denton (who is so great at acting) is going to be an INS agent, does this have anything to do with Sergei?

Kip: No it doesn't.

Question: Kip, I forgot to ask before -- is the March 18 ep with the the INS investigator the spin-off possibility? Is that a done deal, I mean that there definitely will be the spin-off, or is the network waiting to see the (or its PTB) reaction?

Kip: There is a spin off. It is not the March 18 episode.

*According to thefutoncritic.com, veteran actor David McCallum is set to be in JAG's potential NCIS spin-off. He played Walter Thornhill in The Education of Max Bickford. *

From Kip 02/13 - 02/25/03:

Kip: It's so sad to see all you bright people and yet no one has come close to the name A.J. will give his dog. What's even sadder is that you won't find out what the name is until the episode tentatively named "Empty Quiver" airs on 2/25. Eleven days to go and No Joy for the JAG fans in the name guessing game.

Question: When Kip said that AJ named the dog, I assumed he meant the admiral. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Kip: No. Admiral Chegwidden names the dog.

Question: Kip, can you at least tell us this: is it something that we will smack our foreheads and go, "Of course! We should have guessed that!" or will it come from left field (so to apeak)?

Kip: Come on. I opened up this guessing game to hundreds, perhaps thousands of people. Gave you weeks to come up with the answer. Now you want hints? Sorry. You'll just have to keep on guessing until you get it.

Question: Kip? Kip? Are you out there???? What??? You're not on the computer on a Sunday evening??? <g>

Kip: I am here. And no one has got it yet. If one of you do I will tell you with a long spoiler, of course, in case someone doesn't want to know. I don't that will be anyone. I think the spoilers are a waste of time JMPO. Anyway--none of the hundreds of names submitted as guesses are correct, although one person had me sweating for a bit and was quite warm.

Kip: OH, MY GOD!

In reading the list below, I realized someone had guessed (or read the script) to the name of AJ's upcoming dog!

How could I have missed it? Shame on me!

NOW...I assure you that knowing the name of AJs dog in advance will spoil a wonderful B story on the 25th.

So, should I tell? Hmmmmm? What to do?  I know! I'll put a BIG SPOILER on the message so that MATURE AND INTELLIGENT JAG fans who WISHED TO BE ENTERTAINED and NOT HAVE YOUR FUN SPOILED can delete the E-mail.

A
N
D
T
H
E
N
A
M
E
O
F
A
D
M
I
R
A
L
C
H
E
G
W
I
D
D
E
N
'S
D
O
G
W
I
L
L
B
E
.......damnit.

Question: I couldn't even find the message where it was guessed

Kip: It was one of the last messages. I said I missed it only to throw off those who wanted to read the list and guess.

Question: Has shooting started on the Shocker episodes yet. If so can you tell us who will be the guest stars.

Kip: Filming will not begin until late March.

Question: I'm one of those people who ofen reads the end of a book, especially if it's suspenseful, to see how it turns out. I still enjoy it -- more so if the characters survive or end up together (if it's a romance) and I don't have to worry about it

Kip: But if they die or don't end up together...do you read the book?

I quite frankly do not understand readers or viewers like yourself. To read the end of a book or to see the end of a film, to me, defeats the intrigue, mystery and fun of the trip...let alone the effort the writer put into creating a present of a surprise. I'll bet you peeked at all your presents before Christmas.

Question: Surely good writers don't write just to surprise you, they write to put to gether a story that is timeless--it will entertain you over and over again. Such are the classics.

Kip: Sorry, but I still don't agree. First, let's leave books out of it. We're talking about film. I believe those of you who chose to learn the name of the dog are going to miss a wonderful moment. Sure, you'll laugh and say, I know what's coming. But you will never have the joy of surprise or the degree of laughter that those who don't know will have. JMNSHO.

Question: However, one of the things that annoys me is when others tell me that I somehow don't know what is the most enjoyable way for me to watch or read *for me*. After 45 years and copious story-absorbing (whether book or film), I do.

Kip: Didn't mean to annoy you. Personally, I don't care if you wish to watch the show in rewind or upside down. I am simply saying that the creative people who work so hard to create these surprises (be they humorous or shocking) feel that letting a viewer in on the surprise is akin to telling someone how the magician is going to do a bit of magic. Of course, you can still enjoy the skill of the magician, but the wonder when you see it has to be diminished and nothing you have said has convinced me otherwise. That is once again, MNSHO.

Question: And also, when you said that we would be seeing shipper moments that we wouldn't expect, were you referring to those between AJ and Meredith last night, or others?

Kip: I was refering to the last three episodes not last nights.

Slight correction: I was referring to one of the last three episodes.

Question: You said that we,the shippers,aren´t going to see the scenes we expect (referring to the last three eps. of the season),but I´d like you to tell us what kind of scenes do you think we want to see?

Kip: After years of reading shipper mail that's like asking what do I think someone buying a Lotto ticket is hoping for?

Question: I thought your remark about shipper scenes and "not the ones you expect" was a general remark and not specific to the last three eps of the season. In fact, when I saw A.J. and Meredith in the emergency room Tuesday night, I figured THAT is what you meant. Was I wrong?  

Kip: That was not what I meant, but that could be considered a shipper type scene.

Question: And one more, is there anything for Harm and Mac shippers to look forward to? Maybe in the cliffhanger ep? (BTW, I was just happy with the way they talked on the phone the other night. LOL!)

Kip: There will be some Mac/Harm interactions and they will be united in the last episode of the year. United does not mean married, in bed, etc.

Question:  Is our "shocker" going to involve another addition to the JAG family? Possibly the announcement that AJ &Meredith are marrying because she's pregnant, too?

Kip: It's a long time until May and I think I'll hold my comments for the moment.

Question: What are the chances of Meredith dying a horrible, violent death and/or just plain leaving the show? I mean, nothing against the actress who plays her, I just can't stand the character.

Kip: Well, since DPB and JJ both like her a lot and the Admiral already had one lady bit the dust I'd say slim to none.
From Kip 02/11 - 02/13/03:

Question: If someone does happen to guess correctly will you tell us/them? (RE: The Admiral's dog's name)

Kip: Yes I will.

Question: My guess is Albert

Kip: Wrong.

Question: Well, I'll give it a go.

BJ (to go with AJ)
Arleigh
Burke
Coronado
Bard

Kip: I won't reply to any more name e-mails, UNLESS someone the right one. Which I sincerely doubt anyone will get.

Question: Kip said they were considering a tea-cup poodle.

Kip: IT WAS A JOKE!

FROM Kip: As we approach the end of the week and dozens and dozens of names...

None are close. Still don't believe anyone will get the right name. (although I did like Kip). And I will not answer each e-mail, UNLESS someone guess correctly. Kip

Question: Why is AJ flying with Harm in the next episode?

Kip: Not really important and will be explained in opening act.

Question: Does AJ bail for the, uh, same reason that the guy in real life did?

Kip: Yup. (For Reason, click HERE)

Question: Just a question that you probably get sick of, but since CB expecting and the end of the season is approaching along with renewal as unknown any hope for a few shipper scenes?

Kip: Not the ones you expect.

2/11/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Empty Quiver airing 2/25/03:

Cdr. Turner is sent to a submarine heading toward the Mideast to investigate the disappearance of a 10-kiloton nuclear warhead. Cdr. Turner: Scott Lawrence. Harm: David James Elliott. Mac: Catherine Bell.

From Kip 02/05 - 02/11/03:

Question: Kip if you read this I have been a fan for all 8 seasons, this year had some very good epsiodes up until christmas. What is needed is a story line from week to week to follow, I have been lost since
Christmas. Is there something down the road in the next few epsiodes that will capture my attention.

Kip: Since Christmas only 3 new episodes have run including Each of us Angels which is not a normal JAG story. The rest of the weeks were re-runs. And once, again, ad nauseum, the CB pregnancy affected our story options.

Coming down the road starting with episode 20 this season will be a shocking story for two weeks followed by three weeks of a single story arc leading to the cliff-hanger.

Question: Is the possible spin-off episode airing before or after episode 20?

Kip: Not before.

Question: Since the "shocker" seems to have expanded into two episodes, can you tell us if the "shocker" involves a member of the regular JAG cast?

Kip: It does.

Question: Will this year's cliff-hanger be related to the Mac undercover arc or the "shocker" arc? Either? Neither? Both? (I thought you might appreciate a little leeway there. LOL!)

Kip: It will not be related to the "shocker" arc.

Question: Will Singer appear in these episodes(ep 20 & 21)? -You said the shocker would involved a regular cast member,but will it affect to other or others(also from the regular cast,I mean)?

Kip: Yes to both questions. All are in these episodes...even very pregnant CB, which we have to somehow hide.

Question: I thought you said episode 20 is NOT the spin-off.

Kip: Never said that.

Question: What I would like to know is why the producers/writers chose to have the story center around British troops instead of Canadians. Were there legal reasons why you cannot do a show that hits too close to the real incident?

Kip: The legal beagles at Paramount were very concerned about this story since the real event has not been resolved.

Question: Will the ep (Friendly Fire) still be shown when originally scheduled (was it to be next week as scheduled or will it be postponed a bit in hopes that it can have the resolution the real case does?

Kip: Had nothing to do with it. The script was not in as good as shape as the next episode so we switch them. Since neither involved anything important to the shocker or if they do it could be included in either script. We went with the one that was ready and will air in order produced.

Question: I have been reading all the informative shocker predictions and updates from Kip and was surprised as all of you to see Singer will appear in the Shocker. I wonder if Kip will answer a question or two. Will we find out you the father of Singers baby is this episode and will someone meet there demise that evening. I hope this is not too much to ask.

Kip: Not too much to ask, but if I start answering more specifics it will be like playing 20 questions. Sorry.

Question: I believe you said that the "shocker" was not particularly related to the "Mac undercover" arc that ends the season. Is that still true? Will Webb and Gunny still be part of the undercover arc? Also, is this season's cliff-hanger part of the "Mac undercover" arc or will it come out of left field like last year's did?

Kip: Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

Question: I read on one of the lists (suppose it was this one) that the Admiral was going to get a dog. Please tell us it's going to be a big manly dog worthy of him. Not some teeny, tiny little yapper to make AJ look like a foolish old man again. I'm beginning to need some reenforcement about AJ's dignity.

Kip: We were thinking of tea cup poodle that had formerly been a guide dog for the blind.

Question: I would think that if AJ got a dog, he would name it after someone in a Shakespeare play.  

Kip: AJ's name for the dog is quite approriate since it comes from A.J. and I guarantee no one will guess it. And yes, that is a challenge, which I feel quite comfortable in making.

Question: Kip, now that we have found out that Singer will be in the shocker, will Sergei also be appearing.

Kip: Yes.

2/05/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Heart & Soul airing 2/18/03:

When Harm takes Adm. Chegwidden up in an F-14, the admiral accidentally ejects and is stranded in a snowy, remote area of the George Washington National Forest. Adm. Chegwidden: John M. Jackson. Harm: David James Elliott. Mac: Catherine Bell.

From Kip 01/24 - 01/31/03:

Question: I saw the previews for the "Nurses" ep coming up, last night. Wow, what great cinematography displayed in the previews! I was impressed with what looks to be real quality in the show...I mean if the previews were that good, the rest has to be incredible yes?

Kip: Oh, yes. It's a very interesting episode.

Question: I absolutely roared at the name of the nurse that CB will be playing in "All of us Angels.." Did DB think of this name?? Where did this come from??

Kip: It's the name of a real military nurse DPB knows who served in Vietnam.

1/29/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Friendly Fire airing 2/11/03:

Harm sits on the bench as Mac prosecutes a pilot (Gabriel Olds) who accidentally dropped a bomb on British troops, killing three soldiers, but Mac fumes over Harm's seemingly impartial judgments, and Harm is pressured by the SECNAV (Dean Stockwell) who makes it clear he wants a conviction to placate the British. Bill O'Reilly has a cameo. Lt. Whitehall: Harry Van Gorkum. PO Coates: Zoe McLellan.

From Kip 01/24 - 01/29/03:

Question: From the still pics that are floating around from Each of Us Angels, it appears that the entire episode is filmed in color. Was any consideration given to possibly filming the WWII-era scenes aboard ship in black and white to add a level of authenticity to the look of the episode, and if so, what factors contributed to the decision to film in color?

Kip: Black and white would not be authentic since Marine combat photographers at Iwo Jima used color film. The Marines regularly used color long before any other branch of our military. We are using some of this actual footage in the episode.

And, if creatively we wanted to give a black and white look for the past, it wouldn't be a good idea since over 80% of the episode takes place at Iwo Jima. Too many viewers would be turned off by so much black and white and many tuning in late would wonder what was wrong with their TV.

Kip: I should have added to my previous post that since we are using Marine combat photography we have treated all the scenes that take place in 1945 to somewhat match. The episode is still full color--not sepia--just slightly degraded and saturated.

Question: Cool. I like seeing alternate camera techniques. Did they do it in  camera or in post?

Kip: A bit of both. Lighting and filters in filming. Degrading and color correcting in post.

Question: Is the episode based on the actual events that occured in April 1945, aboard the hospital ship U S Comfort? Is the title taken from the Quote: "We are each of us Angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing each other" - Luciano de Crescenzo

Kip: SPOILER SPACE
W
A
L
T
Z
I
N
G
M
A
T
I
L
D
A
I think this question needs a bit of spoiler space because the answer does give away some of the story for any who would look the ship up on-line..

Yes, it is loosely based on the Comfort, although that was an ship manned by Army nurses and was not at Iwo Jima but elsewhere in the Pacific.

And yes, the title was taken from that quote.

From Kip 01/23 - 01/24/03:

Question: Obviously one of the love stories is with CB/DJE's alter ego, but what about the other one? I'm hoping Harm and Mac... (Referring to "Each of Us Angels")

Kip: Harm and Mac are not in this episode. None of our regular characters are.

Question: Hey Kip, will Harm and Mac interact together in the present day scenes in Each of Us Angels?

Kip: Nope.

Question: If you don't mind explaining, is the present day stuff then dealing with the older alternate characters?

Kip: I don't want to give away the episode, but some spoilers are in order.
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
The episode will open in Arlington Cemetery where a young woman (representing the younger generation) meets a WWII veteran (representing to many of us our greatest living generation). She know nothing of nurses in WWII and he tells her a story, which we see as our actors play all the characters in his tale. Every act we briefly return to the old man and young woman, ending the epsiode with a twist, a surprise and perhaps even a tear.
1/23/03 TV Guide Spoiler for Each of Us Angels airing 2/04/03:

In a tribute to U.S. Navy nurses, the cast play different characters in a story set during the Battle of Iwo Jima, where a wounded Marine and a Navy nurse (David James Elliott, Catherine Bell) fall in love aboard a ship that serves as a makeshift hospital. Ens. James: Karri Turner. Lt. Cavendish: Isabella Hofmann. Capt. Chesborough: John M. Jackson.

From Kip 01/17 - 01/23/03:

From Kip: American Idol once again proves H. L. Mencken's famous quote--"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

To set your minds somewhat at ease, CBS said they were very pleased with JAGs numbers considering the huge promotion AI received. We will see how pleased they are if we continue to take hits like that, although next week won't count since it's a rerun.

Since most of you loved "Standards of Conduct" I think you will be equally pleased with "Each of us Angels" our homage to Navy Nurses. The story takes place on a hospital ship off Iwo Jima in 1945. All of our actors play different roles. Using their JAG names--Mac, Harriet, Coates and Meridith are Navy nurses. (Singer was too preggers to do it) Harm is a wounded Marine Lieutenant, Sturgis a seaman, Mikey a wounded corpsman, Tiner a wounded Marine, Chegwidden a chaplain, Bud a Navy doctor.

As I said it's a homage to Navy nurses, but also a love story or two. I think you'll all enjoy it. More later.

1/10/03 Yahoo Spoiler for Standards of Conduct airing 1/21/03:

Mac investigates a Navy whistle-blower who says a top-secret device is defective; a lawyer (Gavin MacLeod) and his client threaten Harm with a lawsuit.

From Kip 01/10 - 01/16/03:

Question: Did DPB have something planned with this mass pregnancy, or is he just trying to make the best of what must be a difficult situation?

Kip: He's just trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

SPOILER --for those who don't want to know why or how this years plan for JAG has changed...please don't read any further.
x
x
x
x
x
x
Okay, the 8th season was planned as follows:

The first few episodes would deal with Bud's traumatic injury, gradually letting that become a B-story as the A stories would be our usual JAG courtroom/militaryaction combination. That would take up about 1/3rd of the season.

The middle third would be case driven with Harm and Mac spenting more after office hours time together as a natural extension of their working relationship. Toward the last 1/3rd of the season they were to realize--what their JAG friends already knew--that they were using work as an excuse to spend more time together, i.e. dating without realizing it.

And of course, there would be a cliff-hanging episode 24 of great drama--tah-dah!

Then CB asked to be let out to film a feature with Jim Carey. DPB approved because she had been such a hard worker over the years. However, that took her completely out of one episode and made her 'Mac-lite' in two others. No problem. The plan could still work.

Then CB became pregnant and DPB had to re-think the plan because CB had to be 'shot out' by the end of February or early March--while the season didn't finish filming until early May.

That's when the B story concept came into play. Mac would be an undercover pregnant woman with Webb and Gunny in South America. This B story would run in the final four episodes, keeping Mac active in the show. It would be filmed over 8 days at the end of February concurrent with the regular filming schedule of episode #17. Then instead of filming #18, we would film the final episode of the season (#24) so CB and DJE could both be in it together.

DPB feels that as long as the last 1/3rd of the season doesn't end up looking like a patchwork quilt this can still be one of our best seasons.

Question: Can that still sort of happen even now. ? Or is that totally pitched in circular file number 13.

Kip: We're still trying to incorporate a little of it when if feels right for the episode.

Question: If you don't realize you're doing it, it's because you're not doing it. (RE: Harm and Mac "dating" without realizing it.)

Kip: Oh, I don't know. Mickey Rooney while dancing with Jane Mansfield is purported to have said, as he looked up from where his head was buried in her cleavage, "Jane. I'd like to 'do it' with you." (He actually used a more explicit term) Jane is said to have answered, "If you do, Mickey, and I find out about it, I'll kill you."

Question: I think the phrase "dating without dating" isn't so much that they're going out on dates, but spending time together. The remainder of Kip's comment ("what their JAG friends already knew--that they were using work as an excuse to spend more time together, i.e. dating without realizing it.") states quite clearly that they too, like my friends, were using work to spend time together.

Kip: Spot on. That is exactly the idea. Or was until CB got preggers.

Question: Will Singer be receiving some kind of medal or award or other such recognition for her role? She is the one who discovered the decoy submarine and thereby allowed the Seahawk battle group to prepare for the attack before it was too late!

Kip: Nope. No medals for Singer.

Question: Will NC be in any more episodes besides the next one before she has her baby or have the PTB decided to wait until after to continue with her story line?

Kip: She will not be able to act in any more episodes this season.

Question: Does this mean that we will not learn who the father really is? Will there be a resolution to this story line this season?

Kip: Sorry. Said all I'm going to on this subject for a while.

Question: Can you tell us approximately how many hours a day CB works now and how many days a week. We know that actors work 14-16 or more hours normally

Kip: She really only has two tough weeks coming up in the rest of the season--when we film the B story and the 24th episode. Even then, we would never work her long hours and have an acting double to do those shots which don't feature her face.

On the episodes prior to that, CB will be filming a couple of days a week at reduced hours. On the six episodes after that (B story and #24) I doubt she'll work more than one out of every eight filming days for the next three episodes and not all for the final three since they will incorporate the B story.

The Fans put this list together and Kip added a few items. Kip's additions are in blue:

Episode 13 - Standards of Conduct - January 21 - Written by Philip DeGuere - last appearance of Singer this season; Renee visits

14 - Each of Us Angels - February 4 - Written by Darcy Meyers - Nurses in World War II - CB paints her toenails

15 - Friendly Fire - February 11 - Written by Paul J. Levine - Dean Stockwell guests - Firing on the Canadians?

16 - Heart & Soul (WT) -February 18 - Written by Dana Cohen - Brad May directing

17 - Lockdown (WT)- February 25 - swritten by Phil Degeure - Ken Johnson directing

18 - TBD

19 - TBD

20 - Really big Shocker planned for this one Written by DPB and Don McGill Directed by DPB

21 - Webb and Gunny and Mac as B story. A story TBD

22 - Webb and Gunny and Mac as B story A story TBD

23 - Webb and Gunny and Mac as B story A story TBD

24 - May 13? - Webb and Gunny and Mac and Harm - Cliffhanger

(WT) working title (TBD) to be decided

Question: Will Sturgis be in these last 4 eps with Webb and Gunny

Kip: Probably. But not with them in the B story. Rather with Harm in the A story.

Question: Maybe it is a stupid question, but there it goes anyway: what is this about Harm Sr. coming back? Where did it come from?

Kip: A fan's imagination.

Question: Is that a denial?

Kip: Yes. That story line is dead. (pardon the pun)

Question: In "Each of Us Angels" will it be entirely flashbacks or will it flip back and forth to the present day like "Mutiny" and "GOCP"?

Kip: There will be scenes that are present day.

Question: I hope they don't use the "Harm hit's his head" excuse again. Especially since it was so lame the first time around; twice would be a crime. (RE: Standards of Conduct)

Response by another poster: Gosh, so negative!

Kip: Beats me why many fans on this list do that. But they do. It's especially demeaning to those of us who make the show. Perhaps that's why so few true insiders ever bother to read fan lists.

Question: Is the finale cliff hanger episode we are going to see at the end of this season similar to the finale that was already planned before everyone and their dog decided to assert their fertility? Or is it totally different from the one that was originally planned?

Kip: Totally different.

Question: It's funny how Harm fantasizes about Mac only when he sustains a bump on the head. (In reference to the preview for "Standards of Conduct".)

Kip: The above assumption is erroneous.

By the way, in answer to some of the E-mails I've been reading---as an insider, constructive criticism is as helpful as legitimate praise. But how can anyone constructively criticize what they haven't seen? And how can others defend such negativism as a legitimate form of discussion?

From Kip 01/03 - 01/10/03:

Question: I think Kip has said that it (the four-episode arc with Mac) is an undercover mission, but I have a hard time remembering what I said recently, let alone what Kip said, so I could be wrong. ;-)

Kip: Kip has a hard time remembering what he said.

Question: Kip will/does this episode explore the real life issue of the drugging of the pilots with the "Go" pills and then the drugging down of the pilots afterwards?

Question: Of course Harm will defend the pilot, who else <grin>

Kip: Wrong.

Question: Is he the Judge then?

Kip: Ah-ha!

Question: Kip is this still the story arc? That Mac goes undercover with Webb and Gunny as a pregnant woman. OR has that changed. So much has been said since that was mentioned that I am a tad confused as to what is going on. Sorry, I tried to just wait until May and find out then honest but since it was brought up.... I want to know.

Kip: This is still the intended story arc, but CBs ability to work even the reduced schedule is becoming an issue. I'm sure this story arc will see even a further reduction in her participation.

Question: Kip once said that Harm and Sturgis would be getting some sort of reward or accomendation for their participation in stopping a dirty nuke. Do you if and/or when that might happen or are TPTB going in a different direction?

Kip: The award is coming soon.

Question: Apparently Renee will make a real-life appearance. (Unless she goes into premature labor, of course.)

Kip: Renee's been filmed and appears in the next original episode.

From Kip 12/16 - 01/03/03:

Question: Poor AJ...he is having quite the year isn't he? Then again, sounds like we get a great AJ centered episode. :-) (See spoiler below from 12/9 - 12/16)

Kip: That is exactly why we did it.

Question: Guess those marine greens can hide a lot more than originally thought. <g> way to go for Kip and TPTB in the way of camera angles.

Kip: Only so far. Yesterday, DPB visited the set on the Queen Mary where we are filming an homage to Navy Nurses with our cast playing wounded marines, sailors and nurses on a hospital ship off Iwo Jima in 1945.

CB is a real trouper, but she's showing quite a bit, obviously tired and won't work near smoke or loud explosions. Since she plays a heroine on a burning ship under attack...it's a teeny bit of a problem.

After yesterday's location visit, DPB called the writing staff together to further reduce CB's participation in the rest of the season. This will especially affect the last four Mac/Webb/Gunny episodes in South America, which were to be action-filled B stories with gunfire and explosions.

Question: ...but couldn't you just film a scene with as little noise possible, and then put in the gunfire and explosions later.

Kip: We always do. For example when we fire a weapon we usually only fire what is called a quarter round. It has 1/4th the powder of a real round. But if there is an explosion being set off with fire and smoke...it's still an explosion. And there is no way to avoid some degree of noise.

The sound you hear on the show is never the actual sounds. Everything is added and sweetened and much is taken out.

Question: Wondered if JAG is renewed will the PTB be having more scenes between M&H ?

Kip: No, CB will be a slim, trim mama by then. (Kip believed that the poster was referring to Manetti in this question.)

Question: I had a question, though. Since CB's role is being "re-resculptured" for the rest of the year, are we still going to have the ep where Harm is the judge, and Mac is in his court, or has that been put off?

Kip: We are indeed going to have those episodes. And a Merry Christmas to you.

Question: POLL QUESTION: Just wondering.If it were up to you, would you bring back Mic or Renee? Explain why if you want.

CHOICES AND RESULTS:  - Yes, 12 votes, 22.22% - No way, 42 votes, 77.78%

Kip: Interesting and expected. Unfortunately only one vote counts and you all know whose that is. Which is why Renee will be making an appearance in an upcoming episode. By the way, Cindy Ambuehl (sp?) who plays Renee is actually very pregnant with twins! DPB who has 7 children is beginning to think he's the facilitator not the water.

Question: With NC's pregnancy continuing, will there be an episode explaining why Singer did not get the abortion that she planned on getting in When the Bough breaks and The Killer? If yes, which episode will that be?

Kip: Why she did not get the abortion will not be explained till the last part of the season. Won't say more than that.

Question: Emmy in a special category. We need to come up with a name for this category, something about best creative use of challenging circumstances!

Kip: Maybe the Preggers Award. Or the Obynies.

Question: Kip, could you tell us the title for the nurses episode of JAG?

Kip: The episode is "Each of us Angels"

Question: Want to tell us how and why Renee is making an appearance? Which ep and any other details.

Kip: Would if I could, but I'm not where I can get to my list of upcoming episodes which I left at the office. It's the only item of work I didn't bring.

Question: Will Renee the character be pregnant in the story.

Kip: Seeing how Cindy is in her 8th or 9th month with twins and we already filmed her, I'd say, yes Renee will be preggers.

Question: Will there be a return of Brumby

Kip: None planned at the moment.

Question: Thank God and bless you Kip for not making us endure that. Watching the Hoover Floormate commericals is torture enough.

Kip: DPB said to me, "Remember that when some fans bless you, other fans curse you. And vice-versa."

Question: Quick question, Kip, I have been thinking about Renee's upcoming visit since you mentioned it.......will Renee be making any observations about Harm's single status, maybe even asking about Mac? :)

Kip: I don't want to comment on Renee's upcoming visit. When you see the episode you will understand.

Question: Can't remember if I asked this question but are AJ and Sturgis going to have a episode where it is mostly them, or at least play a bigger role.

Kip: AJ already has one coming up. Hopefully, Sturgis will at some point.

Question: Are we going to see more closeness between H&M in the January episodes

Kip: There aren't many original January episodes...only one if I recall. And there is nothing particularly close between H&M.

FROM Kip: I see in today's new that the defense for the two American aviators who dropped a bomb killing Canadians involved in a night training excercise is going to use the policy of pilots taking "go" pills on long missions as part of the defense.

We have already written a story similar to this incident for Feb sweeps and are using this same rational as part of the defense. Once again, slightly ahead of reality, although the show will air probably after this incident has had an Article 32 hearing and the charges are either dismissed or sent to court martial.

Question: And the million dollar question of sorts...I'm guessing one reason forthe delay would be to keep the "reel" proceedings from affecting the real proceedings? In addition to scheduling issues and such. Have to admit, it'd be strange if a "JAG" episode affected a real court martial or Article 32 hearing...

Kip: The show is not delayed. It's in the lineup where it was scheduled.

Question: Ok...maybe I'm missing something or jumping to the wrong conclusion here, but...how can the writers at "JAG", (or the storyline at least) imply that Lt. Roberts has a less than 50-50 chance in returning to active duty. That is, where his job/domain is working in the courtroom compared to Master Chief Brashear (Men of Honor) whose job/domain was in the bottom of the ocean as a diver?

Kip: While there are always stories like Brashear's, they are an exception and not the rule. The overwhelming number of requests to stay on active duty by service people injured like Bud are denied.
This will all be discussed in upcoming episodes.

12/26/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Complications airing 1/7/03:

Harm and Mac investigate when a Marine general (Lyman Ward) claims that a Navy doctor caused the death of his teenage daughter during routine surgery. Meanwhile, Bud decides to do some field work after tiring of pushing papers all day. Lt. Cdr. Bartell: David Gail. Dr. Stoudamire: Wayne Wilderson. Lt. Cdr. Ashley: Missy Yager.

From Kip 12/09 - 12/16:

Question: Any more little tidbits about a debatable "tender moment" between our favorite lawyers? We promise we won't tell, just looking for a little something to hold us over!!!!

Kip: May I suggest reruns on USA?

Question: What???? No SInger? "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!" (In reference to the "All Ye Faithful" spoilers)

Kip: Singer left for San Diego. Remember?

Question: If Kip hadn't said it's going to be fun, I would expect Harm and the CAG to be floating around in the Atlantic until January! Oh, perhaps that is Kip's idea of fun! <veg>

I would hope the writers don't feel the need to recycle plots that fast!

Kip: Come on, guys give us more credit than that.

Question: I couldn't figure out who the Santa Claus was in the first scene of the preview. Is it a JAG regular?

Kip: No. Santa's been bugging DPB to get on the show, so he gave him a cameo part.

Question: The real question is if DPB will be credited as the jolly old man or will we see on the closing credits...

Kip: Evidently your reading of my comment led some of you to believe DPB plays Santa Claus in this episode. He does not. Nor is he in the episode.

Question: Oh, that's what I was looking forward to most! He certainly missed a great opportunity!

Kip: Opportunity means having the time to spend at least a half-day on the set to be an actor. He doesn't have that kind of time.

Question: Is "All Ye Faithful" the episode they were trying to get Sibel Galindez to come back for?

Kip: Yes. But she is living back east with her husband, who she met while filming on a carrier. She declined. We re-wrote it for Terry O'Quinn the CAG. She missed being in a very good episode.

Question: The January episodes do they take place in Falls Church at JAG headquarters or do they take place on ship?

Kip: Both.

Question: btw, if he's the bold risk-taker type, couldn't we have just a couple of Harm and Mac "warm moments" before the season ends?] Sorry, I can't help it. It's the shipper in me talking.

Kip: Or he might have them confess how much they lothe each other and never speak again.

NOTE: In order to understand the following spoilers, you should read this entire exchange. LOL!

From the Washington Times dated Nov.22

VIP ejected
The military routinely puts VIPs in the back seats of supersonic jet fighters. It's good public relations. But what happened over the Nevada desert last week was anything but typical. An F-14D Tomcat took off from Fallon Naval Air Station with a VIP in the back seat — a naval officer from the cruiser Anzio who was on what the military calls a "FAM Hop," or familiarization ride. In flight, when the pilot pulled a "negative 1g," the gravity force moved the officer nearly off his seat. He reached down to reposition himself and accidentally pulled the ejection lever. The cockpit canopy flew off and out went the VIP.

"Imagine the reaction of the poor pilot lieutenant when he lost his VIP," said our source.

A Navy official at the Pentagon confirmed the incident. He said the ejection system automatically opened the VIP's parachute. He landed safely in the Nevada desert and waited for his rescue.

"He'll have a great story to tell sailors back on the Anzio," the source said.

~~~~~~~

Kip: We are doing this story. It will be Harm and...no, not Mac. CB is too pregnant to do the rest of this story, which is of survival. By the way, the reason for the real ejection is hysterical when you hear it.

~~~~~~

Question: You got that right, Kip...the poor schlep accidentally pulled the ejection lever. Can only imagine what was going through the pilot's mind...hmm, what was that about truth being stranger than fiction?

Kip: Ah, but do you know why he pulled the ejection handle.

~~~~~

Question: Looks like they were flying upside down...guy was moved out of his seat...he was trying to get back in, pulled the ejection handle by mistake...hi, kids, can you say, "Martin Baker"? I thought you could!

Kip: They were rightside up. This was told to me by an Admiral familiar with the situation.

I'll try to explain in technical terms...

About to go through some hi-G maneuvers, the pilot told the VIP to expel any internal gas he might be storing because such gasses can be painful when the pressure suit inflated. Having such gas on board, the VIP loosened his harness slightly to elevate his six and expel the potentially painful and  noxious fumes.

For some unknown reason, the pilot at that moment dipped the nose slightly, just enough to produce about 1 negative G. With his harness loosened, his six slightly elevated to port and expelling gas, the floating sensation of the negative G caused the VIP to grasp the eject handle between his legs.

The result was the most powerful and shocking fart in history.

We are going to use this in an upcoming episode when Harm take the Admiral for a ride. The result is a survival episode.

12/9/02 TV Guide Spoiler for All Ye Faithful airing 12/17/02:

On Christmas Eve, Harm (David James Elliott) finds a way to pilot a plane off of a carrier so he can make it to Bud and Harriet's Christmas party. Meanwhile, the hosts, who are having a bad day, get unexpected news. P.O. Coates: Zoe McLellan. Cdr. Turner: Scott Lawrence. Tiner: Chuck Carrington.

From Kip 12/05 - 12/09:

Question: I know that the plans for this season were to have more courtroom stories rather than Afghanistan storylines. Are there plans for any episodes to take place in Afghanistan/Iran/Iraq/Middle Eastern/desert settings?

Kip: Not currently. But we will be in South America.

Question: Is that real South America or California South America?

Kip: It's Los Angeles 50 mile radius South America.

Question: Will we see Mac return from the Seahawk in "All Ye Faithful" or will she already be back when the episode starts?

Kip: She's back when the episode starts and Harm is on another carrier with the CAG.

Question: But frankly, I can't imagine the CAG being lighthearted. I also thought he'd been milked for all he's worth!

Kip: Hard to milk a bull.

Question: BTW Kip, when you said 'the CAG' I took that to mean Adm. Boone. Please tell me I assumed correct and my euphoria is not short lived?

Kip: Adm. Boone it is. Since the SecNav was replaced he became a beltway bandit and is on a carrier representing his company. Harm is there on a JAG assignment. As the show opens they are waiting for the COD to fly them home in time for the Christmas festivities.

From Kip 11/22 - 12/02:

Question: I think everyone is forgetting that Kip said we would know at the end of the episode who the father was, so it has to be Sergei.

Kip: Ah,my friends in the world of series television everything and anything can change even after being filmed. On MPI DPB once changed who the murderer was after shooting was finished. He looped the dialogue and made the change editorially. If he can do that, he can change who the father is to suit whatever direction the show has to take considering all the preggers actresses.

Question: Could you give us a little synopsis about the Christmas episode. Not too detailed..just a little something.

Kip: It's fun!

Question: Will we see or will it be mentioned what Singer's ultimate decision will be in All Ye Faithful?

Kip: Not really.

Question: I was also wondering if the series will explore what makes Singer tick or if we will at least be enlightened to what that might be?

Kip: Can't quite answer this one without giving too much away.

Question: Will we find out in a future episode? (about Singer) If yes which one?

Kip: Sorry. I can't disclose that.

Question: Singer's plan is to get an abortion. I was wondering if they planned to address the issue that abortions are not allowed at military medical facilities by law.

Kip: No. Singer didn't say she would go to a military facility.

From Kip 11/19 - 11/22:

Question: Kip is there any connection whatsoever with Sergei's disappearance and the last four episodes of the season?

Question: I never heard her confirm or deny that Sergei was the father.

Kip: Interesting. Neither did I.

Question: Besides, Kip said Manetti wasn't a romantic interest for Harm, so we'll have to be satisfied with that.

Kip: To make you more satisfied, I'll reaffirm that statement.

Question: So, could you give us something "shippery" to look forward to (Say, like in the Chistmas Episode?).... Well, we do not need details..... Even a "yes" answer will do it..... :)!

Kip: I'm sure shippers will see a tender moment and talk analyze and argue over it. The other 80 percent of the viewers won't.

FROM Kip: After reading many of the "When the Bough Breaks" comments, I thought I'd say the following:

1. Darcy who wrote this episode, is a woman. DPB thinks she is a terrific find and has at least two more scripts coming from her this season.

2. As to comments about Harm and Mac not following the arc I mentioned at the beginning of the season--DPB planned to build the Harm/Mac relationship through work and coincidence to the point where by the end of the season even they came to realize they had been dating each other without realizing or at least admitting it. Then, not only did CB get pregnant, but before her, NC. That changed everything! For example, If NC wasn't pregnant we would have never made last night's episode.

3. At this moment, while DPB has worked out a general arc for the rest of the season (including a really, really big shocker in episode 20) everything and anything can change, including who fathered Singer's baby if it helps adjust to all these pregnancies!

4. While these pregnancies have dramatically affected the stories we will tell and alter the relationships we had planned, DPB thinks it's good.

5. DPB has ordered the bottled water at Valencie to be changed to another supplier.

6. Speculation is great.

Question: Is it fair to say that DPB is still trying somehow more or less to reach the same end point, but via a different route?

Kip: What point?

Question: Let Harm and Mac realize that they have been actaully dating for a while.......

Kip: Impossible to accomplish given CB's pregnancy.

Question: About when should Episode 20 air? I know this can change due to last minute schedule changes, but at the moment, when would you expect it to air?

Kip: April 22.

Question: Kip will the shocker in episode 20 be in addition to the cliffhanger at the end of the season?

Kip: Yes. And this is another one I don't believe anyone will see coming, like Bud getting his leg blown off.

Question: Also when Harm confronted her with his belief, you would think she would vehemently deny it if it wasn't true. She did not do that.

Kip: Not really. She consistantly said her situation is nobody's business. (except the viewers, of course.)

Question: You said that the shocker would be like the shocker with Bud losing his leg. Will the shocker of ep #20 be just as brutal (and bloody) as that one or is this a totally different kind of shocker?

Kip: I'm not going to discuss the "shocker" any more until we get near the air date.

Question: Do you have any idea when the season finale should air? Would that be 20th May?

Kip: Presently scheduled for 13 May.

Question: Ok, now I'm a little confused. I thought you said the 4-ep arc with Mac would lead into the season finale. Which I took to mean 4 eps and a season finale. Were you including the finale in the arc count?

Kip:Yup.

Question: Do you know yet which episode Harm will be a judge?

Question: Okay after getting a good laugh at this answer.......> Kip, would you be willing to share that information?

Kip: Of course. She was a judge in the Nov 12th episode, "Ready or Not".

Question: SC's movie just came out so it's gotten me thinking of our beloved spy. I know you mentioned that DPB was working on a 3-4 episode story toward the end of this season involving Webb. 1. Is there anything more definitive on this yet? 2. Will Webb be in any other episodes this season and do you know when they might air?

Kip: Safe to say Webb will be in the last four episodes of the season. He might be in more, but those are already contracted for.

Question: What do you mean by the relationships planned will be altered? Will either Harm or Mac eventually have a romantic interest this season (other than each other)?

Kip: None is planned.

Question: Now that DPB has decided to have Mac go undercover and he has the concept for the last four episodes, is the Harm and Mac working together,/getting closer storyline completely gone for this season? Will it be postponed until next season, or will Harm and Mac go their separate ways, socially?

Kip: Let's see if I can clarify this. AT PRESENT we have 14 out of 24 scripts shot or written. Plans for the last 10 call for CB to be a Judge in two and to be in an undercover B story in the last four. This B story becomes the A story in the last episode of the season. The other four episodes are up in the air (exception the 20th in which CB will be light). Socially, we are trying to keep Harm and CB somewhat on track as originally planned, ie. maybe they'll have a dinner (where CB is always seated) or Harm will visit her at her apartment where she'll wear sweats. I can't tell you more than that because those episodes aren't written.

How CB handles the work load while she's pregnant and how much she shows will determine how big a role she'll play in the four episodes that are up in the air.

We are shooting the B story for the last episodes and the last episode February.

Again, this is what is presently planned. Please don't ask for more details, I don't have them. No one here does, including DPB.

From Kip 11/15 - 11/19:

Question: In "When the Bough Breaks," is Mac upset about something during the episode?? If so...does it have to do with Harm??

Kip: Negative to both questions.
From Kip 11/13 - 11/15:

Question: I'm not asking WHAT he has decided, but has DPB made a decision on having Bud being able to return to Jag or not?

Question: Hi again! After watching the preview for the next episode,I was wondering if we´re going to see in it some flash back of past episodes (especially one from the 4th season).

Question: Kip, if you answer this (question about whether Harm and Mac will kiss in the Christmas episode), please put SPOILER and subject in the subject line - this is exactly what I do not want to know!

Kip: If you don't want to know Dottie, I'm not going to tell!

From Kip 11/12 - 11/13:

Question: Will any of the season end-4 story arc-use Mac's linguistic ability in Farsi and Russian. Will any new episodes explain how she learned to speak Russian.

Kip: Non planned. We're too busy working on hiding her tummy.

Question: Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it was said that Harm (likely) would receive a medal for his actions in 'Enemy Below'. So far I didn't hear anything about this and wondered if it might have been revisited and not gonna happen anymore, ended on the cutting room floor or if I am too impatient? ;o)

Kip: It takes time. Be patient.

11/12/02 TV Guide Spoiler for The Killer airing 11/26/02:

Harm and Cdr. Manetti (Tamlyn Tomita) travel to Naples when an Interpol officer (Rocco Sisto) believes someone aboard a U.S. destroyer is a serial killer who has killed four women while on leave in European ports. Cdr. Waller: Deborah Farentino. P.O. Marshall: Mat Hostetler. P.O. Holt: Eyal Podell. Peter: Ben Crowley.

From Kip 11/11 - 11/12:

Question: Kip, who will be in the A story with Harm then? Will Bud be back to JAG? How about Singer?

Kip: We haven't even done these stories yet. So I can't answer.

From Kip 11/07 - 11/11:

Question: There is a difference between "ripped from the headlines" stories and plain flat-out exploitaiton. (In reference to the D.C. sniper story)

Kip: Absolutely and we're not going there.

Question: ...I was struck by the feeling that Webb was already on the DIC's bad side even before he gave the tape to Rabb. Is this something the writers intended for the audience to infer or is my imagination over reacting?

Kip: Hard to say if he was on the bad side or not. But he certainly was after Webb gave the tape to Rabb.

Question: With all due respect to DPB, I sincerely hope he doesn't consider this (Mac going undercover with Webb) very seriously. :\

Kip: Seriously enough that he and the writer are working the story now.

Question: Kip, who is the writer working with DPB on this story (Mac/Webb). Will it be a multiple story arc?

Kip: Stephen Zito. it will be at least a four episode arc through the end of the season.

Question: I asked this question 10/26, but never got an answer...Is Sergei the father of Lt. Singer's child?

Kip: If I didn't reply I'm not going to answer. I don't answer all questions.

Question: But isn't it breaking regulations if it's (Lt. Singer's baby) someone else on the ship?

Kip: Yes. It means a discharge from the Navy.

Question: Should we expect Mac to undergo the same (not necessarily exactly the same) trauma as Harm did in Adrift I &II?

Kip: Since it's your first message I think you deserve an answer. However, I'm not sure what trauma you're refering to--Harm's trauma in the water or Mac's worrying about him? I think it's safe to say that there will be a cliff-hanger (I HEARD THAT!) and that it will be traumatic for everyone involved.

Question: Kip, I'm praying like mad that JAG gets another season (at least), but on the off chance that it doesn't, will that change the outcome of the last few episodes? ie no cliffhanger?

Kip: That is going to be a very difficult change to make due to CB's pregnancy. We are filming the last episode nearly two months before we normaly would. What will be will be.

Question: Will other episodes be filmed after the last one is shot? (To then air later in a different order.)

Kip: Yes. The 24th episode will be filmed in February and our last episode is the end of April. We will be also shooting two units for a while to get CB while we can. Very difficult for the script writers, especially since there is CB story running independent of the last four and filmed before they are even written.

Question: What happens if a series ends with a cliff hanger and then doesn't get picked up for the next season? Is that it? The entire series ends with a cliff hanger? ... That would suck

Kip: Sure would. In fact NBC cancelled JAG at the end of the lst season on a cliffhanger. It ran overseas, but not here. DPB later rewrote and combined it with another show.

Question: Any chance or thought to bringing back Meg for a guest shot, kinda like Kate was brought back?

Kip: That won't happen.

Question: As a screenwriter, I'm beginning to feel that the writers are grasping at whatever ideas they can come up with to keep the show going. Yes, it's great that they want to keep the character of Mac around while Catherine is pregnant, but there are ways of shooting around a woman's pregnancy without revealing that she's actually pregnant. It's been done many times before on many television shows and no one would be the wiser.

Kip: I strenuously disagree. This is going to be a very inventive way to keep CB active in the series.

The screenwriter (credits please) is right. It's been done on other TV shows. But none of them had to deal with a pregnant Marine in uniform. They could hide it under standard women's clothing. Also, DPB doesn't go for filming scenes with just head shots or CB hiding behind physical objects for 9 episodes.

As to grasping at whatever ideas we can come up with to keep the show going...DAMN RIGHT. Like getting older, the alternative sucks.

Question: Hey, Kip question. Since a bunch of us mentioned the Mac and Webb undercover thing was that thought of before we mentioned it here or because of.

Kip: It was already one of several ways to go we were discussing. Great minds, etc.

Question: Can you tell us if the season finale that is being filmed in February is going to be part of the arc with Webb and Mac as the B story

Kip: It is a B story that becomes the A story for the end of the season. That's why we're filming it early when CB is not ready to domino (as they say in Texas).

Question: I (like lots of us)really love the idea of Mac going undercover and my question is about that: could you please tell us if Harm is going undercover with her,or at least if is he part of the same story?

Kip: He is not going undercover with Mac. Doing that would defeat the purpose of what we're doing. He will be filming A stories while we simultaneously film a B story line with Mac to be integrated into those episodes where she will no longer be able to work. I will say that by the end of the season Harm will be deeply involved in Mac's story.

Remember this only applies to the last four episodes of the year. The three previous to that will probably have Mac as a judge and of course there will be Harm and Mac scenes in those.

From Kip 11/05 - 11/07:

Question: I was wondering if we will be able to find out who is the father of Lt.Singer's baby in "When the Bough Breaks"?

Question: Did anyone else get the impression that Neville Webb's name is on one of those stars and that the conversation at the end of the show indicated that Webb took a career hit to help give the families of the Angel Shark the closure that he and Porter have never been allowed?

Kip: We sure did at JAG. But don't worry. Webb will be back from his isolation.

Question: Any plans for an AJ episode?

Kip: There is one to be written shortly. It will air in February or March.

Question: Will any interactions between Harm and Mac in "Ready or Not" have future relevence to their relationship? To clarify, will we get a moment(s) that is often referenced by fans in the future? (i.e. the ferry ride, Lifeline, Adrift II phone conversation)....

Question: In fact, let's have Mac join him (Webb) undercover, pretending to be a pregnant woman <vvbg

Kip: Don't laugh. DPB is considering this as a running B story for the end of the season.

Question: I for one would love to see her (Mac) in a storyline that lets her use more of  her marine skills and smarts, like last season.

Kip: Just don't expect to see her kick boxing when she's six or seven months pregnant.

11/05/02 TV Guide Spoiler for When the Bough Breaks airing 11/19/02:

Lt. Singer (Nanci Chambers) recommends that seven seamen aboard the USS Seahawk be court-martialed because of a mishap on the carrier that left one man dead. Meanwhile, a discovery about Lt. Singer could threaten her career. Cdr. Cooper: Brixton Karnes. Capt. Johnson: Scott Paulin. Cdr. Manetti: Tamlyn Tomita. Harm: David James Elliott.
From Kip 11/01-04:

Question: So...can anyone think of a reason why Harm should break from tradition and start inviting friends to his Christmas Eve wall visit?

Kip: H(arm) won't take anyone from JAG. But he won't be alone. And it won't be Sergei.

Question: Thanks Kip...that should give us some enjoyable moments of guessing for the next month and a half. Of course now you know you're going to get a billion questions starting with "Will Harm be taking....?"

Kip: I think I covered a number of people he won't take. So I see no reason to narrow the short list remaining. Besides, most fans will figure it out as soon as CBS releases the cast list.

From Kip 11/01-04:

Question: Any more news of when Webb will be back? Has Steven Culp filmed another episode yet, or will that be later in the season?"

Kip: He's filmed one episode. And plans are being formed by DPB to bring him back for a series of episodes (3 or 4) at the end of the season. Note: These are tenative plans, but will likely go forward.

Question: I've seen much speculation that we are intending to replace Mac with Manetti.

Kip: Not true. Manetti is DPB's way of including another minority in the cast. She will work with Harm on a case where CB is making her film. No UST intended here.

Question: Kip, has the episode that is tributed to nurse's been filmed yet and do you have any idea when it will air?

Kip: It hasn't been filmed yet and will air in February.

Question: Could you tell us if Harm will visit the Wall in "All Ye Faithful"?

Kip: He always visits the wall on Christmas Eve.

Question: NEXT Q: Will Harm visit the wall on Christmas Eve alone or with Mac, Webb, Sturgis, or Sergei? If so who? Sorry had to ask.

Kip: Sorry, can't answer.

Question: Will the Christmas Eve show have Chaplain Turner once again. It just seems to bring the spirit of Christmas closer when the Chaplain says a few words. Also, will he be in the series this year. I like what he adds to the show.

Kip: No plans for the Chaplain yet. He's not in the Christmas show.

From Kip 10/29-11/01:

Question: Do TPTB have any thoughts on making good the pact that Harm and Mac have to have a baby which should be coming up by my calculations in about 24 months or so? Can you help me here?

Kip: Not on the radar at this time.

Question: If and when harm and mac get together,Could they have a special song?

Kip: It would be a country song probably called, "I'm getting gray waiting for you."

10/29/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Ready or Not airing 11/12/02:

Harm doesn't have much hope in his defense of a two-star general (James Morrison) court-martialed for disobedience and reckless endangerment during a wargame. His job is made more complicated when, in a rare move, Mac (Catherine Bell) is appointed as judge. Gen. Manzarek: Leon Russom. Adm. Tucci: Steve Rankin. Col. Haller: David Andriole.

From Kip: 10/28-29:

Question: I was wondering if you are planning any comedy this season (such as "JAGathon" or "Yeah,Baby").

Kip: The Christmas episode this year would fall into the comedy area.

From Kip: 10/25-27:

Question: Will we be seeing much of PO Jennifer Coates, and when will Webb start appearing again?

Kip: Yes and Yes.

Question: Well if this is true (Kip's renewal information) does this mean if JAG is not renewed (God forbid) in February will DPB then start moving Harm and Mac together?

Kip: I doubt it since renewal could hang until May when the filming is over and CB is pregnant.

Question: I'm kind of curious if the Webb situation has changed since the last time he was mentioned. I don't recall reading any posts stating anything other than he was in the 11/5 episode.

Kip: I'd expect Webb to be in approximately the same number of episodes as the last few seasons.

Question: Will anything from previous seasons be revisited (Lifeline, Mac's admission to Stugis, etc.)?

Kip: Some moments will be revisited. No plans for these two.

From Kip: 10/24-25:

Question: What I now question is why is Harriet still sleeping upstairs? Bud just has a single cot downstairs in the entertainment room.

Kip: Caught that did you. Well, isn't that interesting. And where is it going to lead?

Question: The admiral's decision was premature, and seemed to be based partly on the client's visceral reaction to Harm's questioning of the Air boss and the pilot (Discussion of "In Thin Air")

Kip: The client requested a change. The Admiral had no choice even if he wanted to keep Harm on the case, which he didn't after watching his weak performance.

From Kip: 10/22-24:

Question: I can't believe they had the wife selling her house and moving so quickly. I don't think that was exactly realistic and really necessary.

Kip: Who said she owned the house. She was a military wife and frequently transfered. They might have owned or just rented it. And if it was military housing, she would have to leave. She also wanted to be closer to her parents.

Question: Was Singer's transfer to the Seahawk planned before NC's pregnancy or as a result of it?

Kip: Before he pregnancy was known.

Question: Will we be seeing Gunny and/or Sergei again this season?

Kip: Probably Gunny, Sergei is still questionable.

Question: How much of a role will Manetti have in the future? Will she be serving as a character similar to Tiner (i.e. always there but never the focus of things) or more involved like Sturgis? Also will she ever be paired with Mac or directly opposing her?

Kip: She will appear in a number of episodes.

Question: Last season you gave us the tidbit that the season finale would be shocking and it was. Can you give us any similar tidbits about the overall arc of this season (at least as far into the future as you can see)?

Kip: Not since CB got pregnant. It's a whole new ballgame.

Question: You provided us information earlier this Summer that Mac & Harm would be spending a lot of time together outside of JAG, without actually calling it dating (or something to that effect, LOL!) We haven't seen that in the first 5 eps, and I was wondering if this had been a future story arc (middle of the season etc.) where we would see Mac & Harm outside of JAG together, and if the unexpected news of CB's pregnancy has altered that in any way. I hope not, and would appreciate any information you'd care to give on this question.

Kip: You will see this in upcoming episodes. CB's pregnancy has altered everything we planned for the last half of the season. We are in rethink mode.

Question: Would you be a liberty to say what the original game plan was for the last half of the season since CB's pregnancy has altered it?

Kip: The specifics weren't laid out, but this season was to have Harm and Mac working much as you saw last Tuesday and in the upcoming episodes. CB's movie meant that she would be missing from an episode and then her pregnancy means we have to rethink everything for the last half of the year.

Question: In Thin Air" was very interesting. Can you tell me if the way Harm's part was written was to show his vulnerability that DB talked about at the start of this season?

Kip: It was. And there will be more of it.

10/22/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Need to Know airing 11/05/02:

Harm, Mac and Turner go up against the CIA's top counsel (Laura Putney) when the agency tries to keep a 1968 Navy sub tragedy, in which 129 men died, classified. Lillian Dorning: Donna Bullock. Clayton Webb: Steven Culp. Secretary of the Navy: Dean Stockwell.

From Kip: 10/19-22:

Question: Is "When the Bough Breaks" still the Christmas episode?

Kip: My mistake. The Christmas episode is titled, "All Ye Faithful". And we are having some problems with it since Skates was written in heavily and the actress is living with her Navy husband in Groten, Conn. and may not be able to return to film.

Question: Did you know that DPB is being quoted in a magazine article (TVGuide Canada) as saying he "will never remove that tension" (between Harm and Mac)? He will never get them together.

Kip: DPB flat denies ever saying to anyone he will never get them together.

Question: ...just wondering, are these quotes (TVGuide Canada) accurate? "I won't do it."

Kip: DPB says this particular quote and some of the others are incomplete.

Question: Do you know if Trisha Yearwood will be making an appearence this year?

Kip: We are trying to work her schedule into ours. Don't know if it will happen. She tours alot.

Question: Is there still going to be an episode about Navy nurses in WW2? Did CB's pregnancy put this episode on hold or will you have to change the plot a little because of the pregnancy?

Kip: Still going forward with it, but probably sooner than scheduled because of CB's pregnancy.

Question: When will. Dean Stockwell's next episode of JAG will air?

Kip: Dean will appear in "Need to Know" which is scheduled to appear on election night, November 5th.

From Kip: 10/15-18:

Question: ...well - CB and her pregnancy were mentioned tonight -- they said that Mac would become a judge and hide her pregnancy under the robes.  Uh, since when do military judges where robes?

Kip: They don't. Shows what E knows about it.

Question: Kip, will there be any other medals awarded to members of the JAG team for the Afghanistan heroics, other than Bud's Purple Heart?

Kip: I would expect Harm and Sturgis to be decorated at some point this season for their actions.

Question: As an aside why would his wife (Harriet) even think of buying a house with stairs like that?

Kip: She bought it before he was wounded.

Question: I have heard on ET(Entertainment Tonight) and other places that Mac will be promoted to judge..for all the obvious reasons..yada yada yada. How will this affect the everyday relationship w/Harm ? I mean can they still be "friendly", flirty ? Will her office stay the same, or will she move ?

Kip: Office won't move. Don't think it will change the relationship.

Question: So she won't be a judge? or just not the robe? and you said once it was one episode and Harm was going to get His chance is that still in the works or changed?

Kip: She will be a judge, then Harm will be a judge. DPB is considering then having her go back to being a judge when she begins to show.

10/15/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Offensive Action airing 10/29/02:

Harm and Cdr. Manetti (Tamlyn Tomita) defend a respected female Naval officer who is accused of sexual harassment by a junior male officer.

From Kip: 10/14

Question: Read some posts concerning CB's pregnancy. Was just wondering are you going to change the direction you had planned or are you going to continue with it?

Kip: This will definitely change plans for this season. CB's pregnancy means that she will be delivering even before we finish the season. Best estimate at the moment is that we will have to shoot at least the last six episodes without her. Meaning we will have to come up with a B story line to shoot ahead of schedule to include CB in those episodes. Uniforms leave little room for babies and you can't do story lines and filming around CB behind a desk each week. DPB will probably make her a judge toward the end of the season to help, but that removes her from teaming up with Harm which is what he was planning for the rest of year. With CB already out of episode 10 (this season) it's going to be a challenge.

Question: Why does DPB feel so uneasy about incorporating her pregnacy in the show?

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER BELOW!!!!!

Kip: How we he do it? Just have Harm and Mac announce they've been secretly wed? What a cheat! And there is no way he is going to make the poster lady for the USMC an unwed mother. Beside, Lt. Singer is already playing that story line. To have two of them unwed pregnancies wouldn't work.

JAG is one of the most difficult shows on television to produce as it is and working stories around filming CB behind a desk or with special angles when she begins to show is going to make it even more difficult...especially in a uniform.

Also, remember actors sometimes work up to 14 hours a day. We wouldn't dare do that with a pregnant actress.

JAG is up to the challenge. But it will definitely affect the last half of the season, especially the final six to nine episodes.

We are all happy for CB and Adam. As DPB said to CB, "Don't worry about it. Life is much more important than TV."

Question: This may be thinking too far into the future, but, assuming there is a season 9, would DPB just move what he was planning for Harm and Mac to season 9? I am assuming he is not going to drop the Harm and Mac relationship UST storyline

Kip: He won't drop the story line. It will need adjusting, that's all.

Question: Well, that settles *THAT* question. Guess Singer is definitely going to be pregnant. OOPS Cats out of the Bag now. <grin>

Kip: Sorry about that. We are working so far ahead. I hadn't realized that story wasn't out yet.

Question: Will we still see a lot of Harm and Mac interaction? From what you have written, I would say "yes"...Am I right?

Kip: You are right.

From Kip: 10/9-10/11

Question: Is the Christmas episode going to be a normal episode or a flashback episode? Also will Corbin Bernsen be in any episodes.

Kip: Normal, but unique. Depends on Corbin's schedule.

10/8/02 TV Guide Spoiler for In Thin Air airing 10/22/02:

Harm is ordered to defend a plane-maintenance officer (Thad Luckinbill) who he believes is guilty of making an error that caused the death of an aviator. Meanwhile, Harriet unintentionally impedes Bud's rehab when she insists he rest at home. Lt. Sam Albrecht: Scott Paetty. Jeannine Zuzello: Wendy Benson-Landes. Mac: Catherine Bell.

From Kip: 10/3-10/8

Question: Are they (Harm and Mac) more senior to Sturgis? Do we know when he was made Commander?

Kip: No we don't. And when it's important to a story, DPB will decide when he made Commander.

Question: ...have noticed that Mac and Harm have been at their current rank for almost 3 years now. They were both promoted to o-5 in 1999. Mac is senior by 2 months or so...So keeping with the fast paced timeline, are they not due for Col. and Capt. promotions soon ?

Kip: I doubt we will promote them any higher until the end of the series. At their current rank they would hardly be doing the type of cases we give them.

Question: In that case, I would expect that Bud's chronic self-doubt would increase substantially for a while.

Kip: It will.

Question: I could imagine that he would feel "incomplete" for a bit, and probably even wonder if Harriet stilll oves him or is just pretending.

Kip: He will.

Question: And eventually I would expect him to > work all this out and have a fine life.

Kip: Remains to be seen. But not in three weeks. What in the few scenes of this episode made you think he or they worked it all out? The fact that she said we can do it. I love you. Etc. People say things like that all the time and mean it. Then they have to face to day to day reality.

Question: ...maybe he's just able to wrap himself around this better. It's something that can't be changed... unlike thoughts, emotions and so on. Who knows... it's Bud. And all that may not have made it's way to the surface yet.

Kip: Aha!

Question: I sure wish he would give some sort of an answer to the question of whether or not we'll see Admiral Boone in any future episode

Kip: Hopefully he will. But nothing is in the works at the moment.

Question: Will there be COMPLETELY no Mac in this episode? Will you show some earlier scenes of her in this episode?

Kip: No Mac in episode 10. She is filming a feature during the making of that episode with Jim Carrey.

Question: Anyway, I'd be interested if anyone else still notices the subtle (or not so as the case may be) highlighting of Harm above all of the others in both the camera shots, the ending shots (% of shows that end on Harm rather than the others

Kip: DPB agrees with everything that is being written about this by the fans. And is changing it to a more equitable sharing of center stage, when appropriate. But not without protest.

Question: Meaning that he is changing this but 'grudgingly'

Kip: Not at all.

Question: On the other hand, maybe it's all of these complaints that are causing DPB to gradually move the show into a "more" balanced treatment of characters

Kip: You should all know by now that DPB doesn't listen to the complaints or the plaudits to make his decisions.

Question: On another website, a spoiler was listed that a new JAG (Tamlyn Tomita) would be assigned by the new SecNav. By any chance, in RL, is this Randy Vasquez' girlfriend/ex-girlfriend? I understand he is/was dating a Japanese/American woman, which is how she was described on the other website...coincidence?

Kip: She is not RV's girlfriend. I doubt he even knows her.

Question: That said, I would like to ask you another question-about DPB. You’ve mentioned, and it’s been brought up many times, that he chooses not to listen to any outside opinions/ polls. Why doesn’t he? There has to be some reason behind this act.

Kip: For over 22 years he has created shows following his vision. Most have been highly sucessful so he sees no reason to do other than what he believes is right. Also, who should he listen to? Shippers?
Non-Shippers? Webbies? Better to listen to his own muse.

From Kip: 10/2-10/3

Question: It's a huge insult to the Mac character, especially when it's on top of the fact that she never can really win against Harm. (In reference to Mac sitting second chair to Harm in The Promised Land)

Kip: Not true. And she isn't always second chair. In fact in an upcoming episode Mac is made a judge and Harm has to argue in front of her. She is a judge in one of the november sweep episodes.

Question: Is NC (Nanci Chambers plays Lt. Singer) leaving the SERIES or will we see more Seahawk stories?

Kip: NC is not leaving. And there will be more Seahawk stories...well at least one.

Question: .. I wonder if this is a one episode thing? I mean, in RL can you be appointed to the bench for a week and then revert back to a trial lawyer the next?

Kip: Correct on both points. Harm's turn will come in a later episode.

Question: Hey, Kip, can we convince DPB to throw Gunny into episode 10????

Kip: Sorry. The story is appropriate for Gunny to show up.

Question: Is the episode that CB is not going to be on the Christmas one? I was counting the episode titles that we have so far and it seemed to me that she could be out of the christmas episode? I hope that it is not so!

Kip: She is not out of the christmas episode.

Question: I was wondering if the story arc. about SecNav. is done. Will we see the old Sec.Nav. again? Thanks!

Kip: You'll see him again.

Question: Will Harm and Mac's disobeying orders be revisited in future episodes?

Kip: Probably not. Since three weeks had passed between Bud's crisis and his arrival home and since Mac and Harm were waiting along with the others, I think AJ has already dealt with them.

10/1/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Dangerous Game airing 10/15/02:

Harm prosecutes a sensitive case in an episode that sees the swearing in of a new Secretary of the Navy (Dean Stockwell) and the arrival of a new JAG (Tamlyn Tomita, who appears in three episodes).

Shortly after assuming his new role, SecNav Sheffield (Stockwell) appoints Lt. Cdr. Tracy Manetti (Tomita), a Harvard Law grad, to Adm. Chegwidden's team. Her first assignment is second chair to Harm in a negligent-homicide case against Lt. Reynolds (Judson Mills), a SEAL. While leading a guerrilla wargame among civilians in rural Virginia as a test of unconventional warfare, Reynolds failed to stop for local police, leading to a high-speed chase in which a deputy was killed. George W. Bush: Steve Bridges.

From Kip: 9/27-10/1

Question: Since we've had Ollie North and Rudy Boesch as guest stars...how about, someday, R.Lee Ermey? Just saw him on the History Channel's "Mail Call" today, where he answers military related questions-he was cool.

Kip: Who knows? Perhaps.

Question: Are there any plans for Mae Whitman to be in any episodes this year? Also do you know if
Answered Prayers will be run as a rerun on CBS during this season?

Kip: Sorry, I don't know the answer to either questions.

Question: Since Family Business is "ripped from the headlines", is DB planning any other RFTH Navy stories? Such as credit card problems, the CO of the Kitty Hawk being relieved of command, etc. Also, any plans to include the Coast Guard in any future shows?

Kip: We will continue to make RFTHL shows. No plans to do a CG show.

Question: You said that the episode 'When the Bough Breaks' is going to be the Christmas episode. Do you know if there will be a kiss between Harm and Mac?

Kip: It's not written yet.

Question: Is the character of Gunny (Randy Vasquez) going to be seen in any episodes this season?

Kip: Yes. Gunny will return at some point (if Randy is available) in the second half of the season.

Question: LOTS of us are wondering that! How come DPB isn't using him (RV)? He is really popular! If it makes for too many people at JAG HQ, maybe assign him to Webb or something - just don't wait until SC is available to use Gunny!

Kip: He was assigned to Afghanistan and will most likely return at an appropriate time. And it's not that it makes too many people at JAG--it makes too many expensive people in an episode at the same time.

Question: I heard the CB will not be in episode 10 , If she is not what storyline will they use to explain her not being there?

Kip: She will be on duty elsewhere, which is set up in episode 9.

From Kip: 9/25-27

Question: What is the interval between Episode 1 and 2?

Kip: Three weeks.

Question: Kip now that we know that Bud is alive (that was quite evil :) will he be back stateside by the next episode?

Kip: Bud returns at the beginning of the next episode which takes place three weeks after the first. He will be met by all and taken to Bethesda Naval Hospital to complete his recovery.

Question: What I was wondering is do you know when the next episode will be that will have Dean in it?

Kip: The next episode with Dean will be the fourth one this season.

Question: This maybe a DUH question but is it safe to assume that Bud's recovery from his injury will take a good part of the season? That it's going to be awhile before we see him back at JAG?

Kip: Safe to assume it will take about half a season to recover. Getting back into JAG is another story.

Question: Is this the Christmas episode? (12/17 When The Bough Breaks)

Question: Any of these the Submarine investigation episode? Thanks!

Kip: 11/5 Need to Know---SUBMARINE

Question: Only two new episodes during November sweeps?

Kip: No there will be four, but the other two aren't written or titled.

9/24/02 TV Guide Spoiler for Family Business airing 10/8/02:

Harm defends a Marine gunnery sergeant (Tyler Christopher) who killed his wife, but claims it was self defense while he refuses to let his son (Bobby Edner) testify on his behalf. Meanwhile, the JAG team bids farewell to Lt. Singer (Nanci Chambers) who is departing for the USS Seahawk. Diane Akers: Bobby Edner. Sergei: Jade Carter. Lt. Roberts: Patrick Labyorteaux.

9/24/02 TV Guide Spoiler for The Promised Land airing 10/1/02:

Mac and Harm defend a Marine corporal (Steve Petrarca) who's charged with desertion. He claims that anti-Semitism drove him to leave the Corps and join the Israeli army, where he was awarded for heroism. Leslie: Betsy Brandt. Lt. Singer: Nanci Chambers. Lt. Roberts: Patrick Labyorteaux. Lt. Sims: Karri Turner.

9/13/02 From Kip:

Question: Is there any CHANCE we'll get to hear some stories this year about Harm and Sturgis' days at Annapolis, preferably the ones where those two got into a lot of trouble?

Kip: None planned at the moment, but sure it's possible.

Question: Uh oh! is this new female a rival for our favorite Commander's affections?

Question: Will we find out in the first episode if he (Bud) lives or dies?

Question: "Until now, Bud and Harriet's son was kept pretty much in the shadows, but this season, little A.J. will be getting considerable action as he interacts with his housebound dad."

Kip: When will you all learn not to believe everything in print?

Question: Do they steal a plane? Swim? Transport? (In reference to how Harm and Mac get to Bud)

Kip: They helo over.

Question: We read the CB will be in a Jim Carey movie. Will this have any impact on her JAG shooting schedule

Kip: Yes. Originally, CB would have been in and out of four JAG episodes to accomodate the feature shooting schedule. DPB said, no way. He agreed to let her film the feature if they could get all her scenes in the shooting period of one JAG episode. They agreed. Looks like it will be episode #10. That episode will have no CB in it.

Question: Will Mac be mentioned in any ways? Will you use any flashbacks to blend Mac in this episode in any ways? Or it is too early to say?

Kip: Too early to say.

Question: Do we have a title yet for the episode CB will miss?

Kip: Nope. Working on the story. It will be about a serial killer.

Question: Last season there was a talk of a crossover between JAG and The District but it didn't happen because of the conflict in their filming schedules. Now what I want to ask: Is there a chance that a crossover will happen this year or not?

Kip: Doubt it.

9/10/02--From TV Guide Critical Condition (Airing Tuesday, September 24, 2002)

The JAG family waits anxiously as the life of one of its own hangs in the balance in this tautly paced eighth-season opener.

Harm, Mac and Turner are aboard a carrier, while Harriet (Karri Turner) and Adm. Chegwidden are at JAG headquarters when they get the news: Lt. Roberts (Patrick Labyorteaux) is in critical condition after trying to save a child in a mine field in Afghanistan. The group is shocked to learn that Bud has lost a leg, but they're even more stunned to hear that he may not survive the trauma. While everyone waits for an update on Bud's condition, Mac and Harm disobey orders to remain aboard the carrier and rush to the shipboard hospital to be by Bud's side.

8/30- 9/10/02 From Kip:

Question: In this new episode, will Harm get a chance to fly a WWII airplane? Will any action take place aboard a carrier or on a Pacific island? (In reference to the Navy Nurse episode)

Kip: Action will take place in the Pacific but DJE does not play a character who is an aviator.

Question: Just wondering if there are any big plans for Tiner this season?

Kip: Nothing in the first six episodes that have been done as stories or scripts other than his usual role.

Question: A while ago someone had posted that Mac gave Jingo to Chloe at the end of "Guilt". Is this true? I've seen the episode and got the impression that Chloe was just dogsitting for her.

Kip: That's so long ago I don't remember. But since we haven't seen Jingo in a while lets just assume she did.

Question: Can you tell us if Jennifer Coates will be a recurring character on JAG next season?

Question: So, Kip, do you think there's any chance we will see Troian or Nicholas B. this season?

Kip: Not planned at the moment.

Question: Are there plans for her to continue her (Trisha Yearwood) "once a season" appearances this year?

Kip: We had hoped the Trisha could appear in episode 9, but her schedule didn't permit it. If she appears this year it will be toward the end of the season.

Question: Are there any plans to bring back Danny Walden.

Kip: There is a story under discussion, but so far DPB has nixed it.

Question: Last season, we saw Mac's confession (of being in love with Harm) to Sturgis...Will Harm do the similar confession to anyone (not Mac) any time soon?

Kip: I doubt it.

Question: ...Thus, an episode where their feelings ( towards each other mostly) get discussed or shown. Eps
like "Boomerang" or "Lifeline" or "Adrift"... Something in that style... :oD

Kip: Nothing like that is in the works at the moment. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but just that it's not planned now.

Question: You have said more episodes will be at JAG headquarters this year. Will there be any involving flying and action stories? JAG is better as an action drama not just courtroom.

Kip: I don't believe I said more stories would be at JAG headquarters. Perhaps you're thinking of my saying the emphasis would be on courtroom drama rather than the war in Afghanistan.

We will still be at sea and in the air.

Question: I want to know any more Poppa Rabb searching eps. You know if Sergei is a spy (which is my hope and guess) then it dredges up more thoughts/questions on Poppa Rabb. Love Poppa Rabb. THERE WAS NO BODY, NO PROOF that the man REALLY WAS TITI or that TITI was REALLY DEAD.

Kip: DPB thinks he's dead, but he's been known to change his mind.

Question: I have a question for Kip-Will Harm & Mac kiss this season?

Kip: I asked each of them your question. Harm gave me the evil eye and Mac giggled.

Question: Kip, can you tell us in what episode Dean Stockwell will first appear?

Kip: Right from the git go.

Question: I was wondering-will there ever be a birthday party for anyone on the show? Maybe next year they'll have one for Harm's 40th. (wasn't he born in '63 on the show?) Just wondering because no one ever celebrates birthdays on JAG.

Kip: That's because we want to keep them younger than they are.

Question: There has been a lot of wife battering in the military. Do you think that JAG might get into that in light of what has happened at Fort Bragg.

Kip: We have already filmed an episode for this season on spousal abuse.

Question: Will we see any AJ center episodes this year.Will we ever see Francesa again.

Kip: AJ yes. Francesca, I doubt it.

Question: Will there be any episodes about AJ's vietnam past, like how he received his Navy Cross and Purple Heart. Also will we learn anything about his family.

Kip: None planned at present, but that doesn't mean there might not be one. We've only got about 8 of the 24 episodes in story form.

Question: Assuming (yes, I know the possibilities there) that Bud stays in the Navy, would this injury, along with the sea duty, accelerate his nextpromotion? Are there any plans for that, or for some kind of medal?

Kip: I doubt his injury would accelerate his promotion if he could stay in and the only medal he would get would be the purple heart.

Question: I hope TPTB use it to show the difficulties associated with recovery and use of a prosthetic. It would be such a waste to just progress this storyline the way theydid Harm's last year. Of course, dragging Harm's out would have been pointless, but this is different. Can you tell us the general plan/idea regarding this Kip?

Kip: Everyone assumes Bud survives. Then they assume he stays in the Navy. And you're right, dragging Harm's out would have been pointless so we didn't do it. Just as if Bud survives, showing his rehab would be a good thing and we would do it.

Question: But can we really say that he saved the kids life? The kid was standing in exactly the same spot after Bud blew up as before. So, the kid is still in danger.

Kip: Maybe he never was in danger. Wouldn't that be ironic.

Statement: Don't get me wrong, I love Bud too, but in reality, it would be extremely unlikely for him to get something other than a purple heart.

Kip: That's the way DPB looks at it.

Question: Kip, will we see the story line concerning Sergei as well as theAdmiral's new romantic interest continued or ended?

Kip: Both.

Question: Kip, is Steven Culp lined up for any specific episodes yet?

Kip: He is in an episode this year which deals with the loss of a submarine in 1968.

Question: Do you know if they ever will have a depty JAG like in the real one?

Kip: Nope. We've never thought about it. If we did it would have to be Harm or Mac or Sturgis. Interesting.

Question: Will we be seeing Mikey Roberts as well as Big Bud again this year?

Kip: They appear in a couple of early episodes.

Question: Also will we be seeing Gunny again this year?

Kip: Probably later in the season.

Question: Will there be a Christmas episodes this season?

Kip: There will. Dana is writing it.

Question: I noticed Bud injured a leg in Rogue (stealing a sub), wore a brace the next episode in The Colonel's Wife, and couldn't run as fast as Harm because of "that leg" in Boomerang. (All Season 5.) Is this maybe a real life thing being written into the script?

Kip: It was. Patrick injured his leg during the filming.

Question: Is it perhaps the same leg and problem that got blown off by the mine, leaving room for a new walking gait for Bud?

Kip: If you mean did his injury a couple of seasons ago (I believe) have anything to do with blowing off his leg, the answer is no.

Question: How about the episodes for the November sweep? Were the scripts done? If so, how about some spoilers (I would be happy with minor ones :)? Thanks!!

Kip:Still working on sweeps scripts. Shooting a submarine episode. As for the others, I think I'll remain quiet.

Question: ...PL needed some surgery and could do most of the season's filming in repose or in a wheelchair, etc

Kip:Everyone keeps assuming Bud will survive. Of course, being TV, main characters usually do. But then, again, when do main characters get their leg blown off? DPB has killed off characters before, I'm thinking of Mac in MPI (Magnum PI) and then brought him back as another character. I'm not saying Bud won't survive or if he doesn't that he won't return as a spirit or other character. Just don't assume his survival is a lock.

8/30/02 From Zap2it.com:

Critical Condition - Bud hovers near death after stepping on a land mine and losing his leg while his JAG co-workers and his wife have been told by doctors to expect the worst, on the seventh-season premiere of JAG, Tuesday, Sept. 24 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Harm, Mac and Sturgis unite aboard an aircraft carrier following their successful thwarting of a terrorist plot, only to receive word of Bud's accident. While they rush to the shipboard hospital, back at home, the Admiral breaks the news to Bud's wife, Harriet. Meanwhile, the Secretary of the Navy is accused of mishandling the terrorist threat by letting JAG officers lead the investigation and faces serious disciplinary action.

Lotso Stuff From Kip (August 11- 22)

Question: Will Harm and Mac be spending a lot of time in like Afghanistan or on the carrier....or will the season mostly take place at JAG HQ?

Kip: Jag HQ

Question: Any plans for Chloe to return next season?

Kip: Not yet.

Question: From what I understand, there are no plans for Harm and Mac to begin a romantic relationship this upcoming season, yet there are no plans for either to have a significant other. Isn't two seasons with no love interest somewhat out of character for Harmon Rabb Jr?

Question: This transferred person will continue in the series, though, won't they? They won't be leaving?

Kip: They won't be leaving.

Question: So far, in the episodes I've managed to see, I don't recall finding any indication that Sturgis has said or "thrown cold water on" any "soap opera" stuff.

Kip: Beg to differ. I don't recall the episode (we just make them and move on) but he did make a point of exactly what I said about his character not understanding the soap opera stuff going on in JAG.

Question: Earlier you said that Randy Vasquez would not be in the first 5-6 episodes since Gunny would still be in Afghanistan. Any new info?

Kip: Sorry. Nothing new.

Question: I'm wondering if there will be any plans or chances that Harm will go flying in "Sarah" next season?

Question: Could Gunny be the transfer? Transferirng back to JAG headquarters

Kip: He could be, but he's not.

Question: Kip, is it too soon to ask if it's just going to be a relaxing flight over the countryside?...or is it going to be anything but?...or has that yet to be decided? (About Harm flying the Stearman)

Kip: Yet to be decided. I don't know if he'll be flying solo for fun. Or, to clear his head of some vexing problem. Or, if he's giving someone (male or female/friend or foe) a joy ride. The reason I'm so vague is that his flying 'Sarah" has yet to be incorporated into a story. I just know that DPB likes him doing it at least once or twice a season.

Question: (Will there be) More courtroom episodes?

Kip: I don't know about more, its too early in the story season, but there will be a good number of court cases. Probably about the same as the average over the years.

Question: (Will there be) Episodes along the line of The Ghosts of Christmas Past/Mutiny?

Kip: Yes. There is an episode already written that will run later in the season which will be an homage to Navy nurses in which all of our regulars will play other roles.

Question: (Will there be) Lighter episodes (ie funny) (Of course after dealing with Bud's injury - no possible way to make light of a BKA)

Kip: I don't know about lighter...but we're working on it.

Question: Did DPB write the episode? (in reference to the "Navy nurse" episode)

Kip: No. He worked on the story with the writer.

Question: By chance, is it a WW2 era setting? In the Pacific? (in reference to the "Navy nurse" episode)

Question: Is DJE going to play Grandpa Rabb, and CB a young Grandma Sarah? Perhaps a whirlwind romance before he meets his fate? (in reference to the "Navy nurse" episode)

Question: When you say "later in the season" do you mean like November sweeps?, Februaury sweeps?... (in reference to the "Navy nurse" episode)

Kip: Not November sweeps. Later. Specific air date not selected.

Question: Will there be any episodes that involve a follow up of Mac revealing to Sturgis that she's in love with Harm?

Kip: None planned at the moment.

Question: Will the ep about the Navy Nurses be a two-parter? Do the cast and crew need to travel a little further than normal for it to be shot? (and my personal note: I think this will be a GREAT ep, maybe even shipperwise. LOLOL ;oP)

Kip: No to both of the above.

Question: Have DPB and the writers discussed (however informally) how the show would handle things if the U-S goes to war with Iraq? Would as much time be spent on Iraq as was spent on Afghanistan, or is it prettymuch wait and see?

Kip: We have not discussed it and won't unless it becomes a reality.

Question: During Bud's period of recovery and rehab, will Harm ever talk to him about his time in the hospital rehabing from that ramp strike that killed his RIO?

From Kip (August 2)

Question: Tell me, is that transfer person the rolling head person, or is that asking you too much?

Kip: Not the same person.

Question: Will harm and mac spend time with little AJ ?

Kip: Not much.

Question: Is the opening credits going to be new this year and feature all the main characters?

Kip: We always update the opening credits.

Question: Are the stories they are working on going to based on the real life situations as that of the last year?

Question: Are they going to do a commorative episode to Sept. 11?

Kip: No, since we debut after 9/11.

Question: How soon will this occur? I tahe it not in the first couple of episodes? (In reference to the transfer spoiler)

Kip: Somewhere in the first four episodes.

Question: Can you tell us if it is voluntary? (In reference to the transfer spoiler)
Kip: Sort of.

Question: Will Sturgis play in the majority of the episodes or will he just play a little role this season?

Kip: Most episodes.

From The LA Times (August 1) (sent by Patty)

DOUBLING UP: They're casting about on "JAG" for twins to play the 3-year-old son of Bud Roberts and Harriet Sims (Patrick Labyorteaux and Karri Turner). As viewers of the series know, last season's finale had Bud stepping on a land mine in Afghanistan and losing a leg. Until now, Bud and Harriet's son was kept pretty much in the shadows, but this season, little A.J. will be getting considerable action as he interacts with his housebound dad.

From Kip (August 1)

Question: Any other little tidbit you can throw at us, about the coming season, that perhaps we have not asked about?

Kip: I'm out of tidbits. Even dog bones.

COMMENT FROM KIP:

Having asked what spoilers I'd already given...

I went into this spoiler site and WOW DO I HAVE A BIG MOUTH! I didn't realize I'd given so many bones, tidbits and kibbles. Seems like I've given way too much away already. But, since your such great fans here is:

Something old: A head will roll.
Something borrowed: A story or two from the headlines.
Something blue: Some writers want to bring Mic back for an episode. (So far DPB has said 'no', but he's been known to change his mind.)
Something new: Someone in JAG will get a transfer.

Let the Speculation CONTINUE!!!
(please pass the aspirin!)

From Kip (July 20 - 31)

Question: Anything else you can tell us about the 8th season yet? We are all dying of curiousity and anticipation.

Kip: I hesitate, only because some people then jump all over what ever I say, put spin on it, extract the wildest interpretations and even get ticked off because in their opinion it violates something someone else said or I supposedly said. Maybe I'm too sensitive? Anyway...what can I say? DPB wants to see more solid court room, Harm and Mac working together more and conversely at each others throats when they oppose each other...in other words, behave like lawyers. He sees the Bud story as a very important arc throughout the season. Wants Turner to keep on trucking. Wants Harm to show more vulnerability. Is going to introduce a new character IF he finds the right actor or actress. Will do something surprising with Singer. Will introduce a character from First Monday. Is that enough?

Question: "Also a head will roll."  I can only hope....Singer's?

Kip: Not Singer's.

Question: Just one quick question - will he introduce the First Monday character as the character he played on FM or will the actor who played the character become someone else on JAG?

Kip: A character from First Monday.

Question: Since they are not going to be together is Mac going to get another boyfriend and is Harm  going to get another girlfriend

Kip: Nope

Question:  Just friends? Or worse, further apart?

Kip: I was giving an example of other ways to change a relationship beside GETTING HARM AND MAC TOGETHER! Sorry for shouting.

Question:  If A First Monday Character is coming to JAG, then how is that going to effect Randy Vasquez's role as Gunny, since he was also on First Monday?

Kip:  It doesn't.

Question:  Any plans for Clark Palmer to return?
Kip:  Not at this time.

Question: Any plans yet for a visit from Mikey Roberts?

Kip: Mikey is in the first three episodes so far.

Question: Will the Admiral keep seeing that new lady (the Shakespeare fan) that we met last season?

Question: Will Sergei meet Harm's mother this season/ have the DNA test done, or  is it undecided what DPB will do with his character this season?

Kip: No plans to meet Harm's mother. He will have the DNA test done.

Question: So Mikey's on the first three episodes, but is Sergei also? They're both cute. I hope we get to see more of  them.

Kip: Sergei's in one episode.

Question: I read your post that the Sturgis/Bobbie relationship is probably over...Is that just a storyline choice or does that mean that the wonderful Anne Marie Johnson won't be back portraying Cong. Bobbi

Kip: Personal committments by Anne Marie make it difficult for her to work at the moment. But we're hoping to have her return in the near future.

Question: You said this will be the best season yet. How can you be so sure when only the first eps are written so far?

Kip: It's my opinion based on the directions DPB has given to the writers, discussions he's had with the actors and the story arcs he's doing for the season.

Question: Will Bud remain on active duty or will he be discharged because of  his injury?

Kip: Watch and find out.

Question: You've said "a head will roll." Is this a recurring character we all know or a character we've only just met?

Kip: Recurring character.

Question:  Quick ones: Has Mikey Roberts already started at Annapolis or is that a "coming attraction?"

Kip: He's there when the season begins.
Question: Will Big Bud be making an appearance in the first few episodes?

Question: Quick question for you if you can answer it. Will there be any promotions next season or will things remain as they are. Also, will we be seeing any more of the Petty Officer Bud has been working with or will there be no more references to her and the carrier since Bud's injury will (assumedly) have
him state-side.

Kip: Promotions haven't been decided on as yet, but it would be difficult to promote Harm or Mac to Captain. We stretch credulity now with some of their assignments.

P.O. Coates will be in the first episode and more further down the season.

Question: Does this head rolling mean the person will be leaving JAG, and therefore leaving the show?

Kip: Yes

Question: Is it true that something might start in the romance dept. between them (in reference to Harm and Theresa Coulter).

Question: Any chance AJ will get another star

Kip: Doubt it since his position as JAG only rates two.

Question: Kip said, credulity has been stretched with assignments-am assuming by that you mean time on station as well as promotion speed.

Kip: No. I mean as a Commander and Lt. Colonel, they would be in a more supervisory position and not personally handling an investigation every week the way they do. But that would be boring.

Question: Someone please tell me Scott Lawrence is signed up for the season. PLease.

Kip: He is.

Question: A few months ago, when asked if JAG would be doing any more filming on location, CB posted the following on her message board: ". . . a big, gruff (but lovable), cigar-chomping little bird told me we were going somewhere really cool next season." Do you know if that's still planned and where it is?

Kip: Nope. CB must know something I don't.

Question: Kip, now that filming has begun and the crew is dealing with showing Bud with a partial missing limb, while Patrick has a full limb, has it been decided how this will be done for the most part? Meaning, will the shots where his leg can be seen (or not seen as the case may be) strictly be the old leg in the hole routine and creative angles or will there be any CGI effects mixed in?

Kip: Combination of CGI and old fashioned filming.

Question: Are we going to see Chloe this coming season? Are we going to hear any updates on Mic? Or Renee?

Kip: No plans at present for any of these characters, but with only the first six to eight stories written or being planned, one never knows.

Question: Any shippers moments in the first episode ?
Kip: It all depends on one's definition of 'shipper moments' and since there are as many degrees of shipperness as there are points on the compass, the answer is...it depends.

Question: Since just about everyone that has ever appeared on JAG has been mentioned, this should be any easy question. So far has anyone accurately guessed whose head is going to roll?

Kip: Easy answer...yes.

Question: Would you be able to let us know at what point we will learn who the rolling head belongs to, as in, "the person's fate is made clear in the Nth episode" or something similar? Or is that too much?

Kip: Not to much. It happens in the first episode of the season.

From Kip (July 19)

Question: So, are Harm and Mac already back at JAG Ops? Or are they still on the carrier?  Where are they when they find out about Bud?

Kip: Answer to both questions--on the carrier.

Question: The filming began on the first episode on the 17th are there any hints to what is going to happen, other than everybody responding to Bud's brush with death.
Kip:  Just what I've said. It will effect everyone. Be fast paced. And most important realistic in what actually happens in such an incident and how everyone reacts. Also a head will roll.

Question:...there will be ramifications for Harm and Mac resulting from Bud accident. It also said that there might be a change in the directions regarding Harm  and Mac's relationship. But DPB has already decided aboutr the course of that . also said There are plans for the devlopment of Lt. Singer . Does that Mean Singer will be a bigger character? What relationship are you talking about there is none Between Harm and Mac there just friends . Also after reading the article in Tv Guide what is there to look forward too Mr B said if there were to be together it would be until season 9 or 10 . So thatwould tell me there will be  no change between Harm and Mac .

Kip: Too many questions. Not enough time. Let me just say that a change in their relationship can be something other than their becoming lovers or engaged or married etc. They can grow closer as friends or grow further apart. Those two opposites are both a change in their relationship.

From Kip (July 17):

Question: Do you have any titles for the new episodes that you could share with  us?
Kip:
Critical Condition
Promised Land  (About a Marine who deserts to fight in the Israeli Army)
In Defense of Others

Question: In "Enemy Below", did Harm make it back to the carrier or was he still flying when Bud stepped on the landmine?

Kip: Bud stepped on the mine a few days later.

From Kip:

Question: Has it been decided when the season opener for Season 8 will take place? Will it be immediately after Bud's accident? Or will some time have passed?

Kip: It will pick up exactly where last season ended.

Question:  Will we get to see Harriet's, Harm, Mac's and/or AJ's reaction to the sad news?

Kip: Absolutely.

Question: The article in TV guide July6th issue DPB said that Mac and Harm were going to re-evalute their relationship, does this mean dating is in the future and a little romance possible? His comment about they "uniting" being way down the line, does that refer too, "living happily ever after"? Just how much
of a change are we going to see in this relationship? without giving any plots away???

Kip: There is no way to answer this without giving plots away or plans DPB has for interaction between the characters. Sorry.

Question: Which brings me to the logical question for Kip - will be be seeing more of Webb this season than last season?

Kip: I doubt it. Webb will be used about as much as he has been in the past.

Question: DPB said in tvguide that Harm and Mac would reevaluate their personal relationship. Will that happen in ... (multiple choice, remember your SAT strategies!)
a) a single episode
b) a double episode
c) over time (3 episodes or more, as in not 'the talk' but somehow slipping into a routine)
d) "Classified."

Kip: D

Question: Regarding above mentioned - When will this happen? (MC also)
a) first 3 episodes
b) first half of this season
c) second half of this season
d) in your dreams - haha...
 Kip: None of the above

Question: It will pick up exactly where last season ended. Does it mean that you will gradually work the time back to the current in the first few episodes as you did last year?

Kip: Yes. The second episode this year will be three weeks after the first. We will gradually catch up after that.

Question: Is Jingo going to be seen any more? Or has the pooch gone to puppy dog heaven? Without Brumby to walk him, his use as a plot device is, admittedly, limited...

Kip: Jingo is alive and well. Whether we see him or not.

Question: You said there would be ramifacations for Harm and Mac becuase of what happen with Bud Then it goes to say that there will be a change in direction in the Harm and Mac relationship. So does this mean they are going back to the way they were in season 5 and 6 where they did not speak to much to each other . Becuase the way the relationship was going they were heading back to being close again. I also read that they are going to develope Lt Singer more does that mean she will take Bud's place as one of the top lawyers.

Kip: They will be on a more friendly basis. Don't know where the Singer thing came from, it's not accurate.

Question: Speaking of Singer... earlier you mentioned Nanci Chambers wasn't signed for next year. Is she back on board now?

Kip: NC is not a regular and therefore is not under contract or 'signed up'.

Question: ...to rephrase, has she (Nanci Chambers) been included in any of the scripts/storylines currently developed?

Kip: NC is in the first two episodes.

Question: Are we going to see more of the Bobbie/sturgis relationship?

Kip: Probably not.

Question: Will Harriet be pregnent next season?

Kip: Maybe. Decision still up in the air.

Question: I know I would like to see Randy Vasquez come back to JAG. He is a great actor. Kip do you know if he will? I know he was in a couple of the last eps last season.

Kip: Randy is not in the first four or five episodes. This is because as a character he was in Afghanistan and those episodes don't take place there. We assume he will return to JAG at the appropriate time.

Question: ...he said that the first 4-5 eps aren't in Afganistan, but that's where Bud is laying

Kip: I spoke to soon. The first episode does open in Afganistan where the last season left off. After that it's back stateside. And Gunny isn't in the first episode.

From KIP:

Question: Will Harm and Mac be a couple or not. Will there be other people in their lives?

Kip: No plans at present for other people in their lives.

Question: Now, you say "There will be a change in direction." Did the cliffhanger change DPB's mind?
Or are you just being cryptic?

Kip: I don't want to give to much away. It's in a state of flux as DPB lays out the new season.

Question: Is Randy Vasquez definately returning to JAG for the 8th season since FM is cancelled?

Kip: Yes, but in how many episodes is undecided.

Question: Is that because Randy wants to have more freedom for other projects, or TPTB are struggling with how to give Randy enough screen time since Gunny's reassignment to the infantry?

Kip: Due to his reassignment to Afghanistan. Following the last three episodes of season seven, DPB feels there has been enough Afghanistan in the show and its time to get back to mainline JAG stories. I'm sure Gunny will be returned at some point, but it's not in the first three episodes.

Question: Any idea what DPB is going to be doing next season as far as Lt. Singer's character?

Question: Has DPB made a decision on the "direction" of the H/M relationship yet? (you don't have to say if it's good or bad for the shippers, just if he's decided yet)

Kip: For season eight the answer is 'yes'. Please don't ask follow up questions to this because I'm not answering. Thank you.

Q & A from Harriet:

Question: Do either of you know whether PL is using any of the short time available during the summer hiatus to research his upcoming role as an amputee--such as visting with amputees at military hospitals; listening in at support groups, etc., and, if so, can you give us a general idea of what he is/will be doing?

I'm sure he's looking forward to the acting challenge presented by this role, and is as excited to take it on as we are to see him tackle it. It's going to call for a lot of finesse, but if any group/person can pull it off, it's the JAG writing team/PL.

Harriet: Patrick and the rest of the cast and crew will be back July 17; DPB and his writing staff will be busy getting scripts ready from now on. (I'll post the names and titles shortly).

I've already spoken of my girlfriend's loss of a limb, and of her rehab group, and both would be more than agreeable to advise Patrick. In any event, there would, of course, be a technical adviser to assist in the proper representation.

Question: Is Charles Holland going to be on the writing staff for next season? I think he's great! I'm assuming Dana Coen is staying around too? (please!)

Harriet: Well, of course. And Don McGill, too. DPB, as always, will let us know the names and titles of his Season 8 writing staff shortly and we'll post same.

Back to Spoilers (Page 1)