Vanished History     |   home
An introduction   |   Coney Island History   |   Luna Park   |   Steeplechase Park   |   Dreamland Park   |   Coney Island Extras   |   Wentworth By The Sea   |   Saltair   |   Sutro Baths and Cliff House   |   Contact Me   |   Gifs   |   FIRM
An introduction

Just a little history obsession..............

I've been captivated by history for as long as I can remember, and over time have developed into an avid amateur historian, but with one exception. Rather than delving into the realm of history as a whole, I tend to gravitate to very specific places and events. More often than not, a chance encounter with a single mesmerizing photograph, relic or story will send me off in hot pursuit of more information about my latest historic obsession. Usually those places have several things in common, they are architecturally striking or unusual, they were often once well-known, even world famous and they are nearly all vanished without a trace. The history here is in tight focus on these sites: where they were, why they were, what they meant and how some of them perfectly reflected the society of their time.

Other history topics that I enjoy studying are the rise and development of urban American life and society (New York City in particular), American home life and women's issues from the Victorian age to the end of WWII, the 1918 Influenza epidemic (ah yes, the joys of morbidity), vintage advertising collectibles and John Harvey Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium.

I originally began this site as a personal web page and the history section was only a small portion of the content. It has grown, however, and I feel now that, in order to be able to keep expanding, it is time to dedicate this site to history alone. This will allow me to add more vanished history locations, more photos and lots more for you to discover and, I hope, enjoy!

Please visit again
Thank you for coming!