"You still don't know what you're dealing with do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.I admire its purity, a survivor; unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

Ash (Ian Holm)

Intro for Newcomers. Fans may want to skip this bit

In the mid-Seventies, while suffering a stomache ache, writer Dan O'Bannon - fresh from his success on Dark Star - was broke and sleeping on his friend's couch came up with the idea for Alien. Initially called Gremlins and set on a World War Two Flying Fortress, the tale was eventually set on a commercial towing vehicle, the Nostromo. Directed by Ridley Scott, Alien would go on to be the definitive adult sci-fi movie of the last 20 years. Its eponymous star, a steel- toothed xenomorph proved an ideal subject for producers searching for the ultimate movie franchise. Any lucrative creations has to be enduring, intriguing and good looking. Alien had all three elements although some people would question the latter quality.

Like many fans, I became a little obsessed with initally Alien and then Aliens. In 1984, I illustrated a comic strip based on the film and in 1986, produced a 96 page version of Aliens. Over the coming weeks extracts will be appearing here. For now, here's just a couple of pages. I'd like to think my art has got a lot better in the years between then and now. Judge for yourself:
  • Some more recent arty stuff.

Aliens: Extracts from the illustrated story by Rog Crow.

• Page one.

• Page sixteen.

By the time part three came out in 1992, I felt betrayed by a team of writers who it seemed had never even seen the original movies. Alien 3 didn't seem to know what it was about.

Part prison movie, part sci-fi flick, a total mess with a poor script.

Disheartened, I let the alien series go.

Until last Novemember when Alien Resurrection was released.

On a personal level, AR was not a perfect film by any means.

An Alien by numbers if you like.

However, directed by one of my favourite film-makers, Jean Pierre Jeunet, it boasted a great look and black comedy style.

Joss Whedon's script was also a great improvement over Alien 3 and the cloning aspect was fascinating.

Judge Dredd tackled the same issue on a more comic book level.

However, thanks to Sigourey Weaver's portrayal of an actual clone, this seemed to warn more about that horrors of cloning than any documentary.

Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the Alien's bloody birth.

Alien 5 is in pre-production and with Fox making a packet out of the re-released Star Wars trilogy it seems likely an Alien re-release is on the cards.

As for the beast itself, there will no doubt be a variation on the original design.

All steel teeth and skeletal appearance. Let's hope the script is even better than before.

You may be asking yourself why keep returning when there are hundreds of other Alien websites out there.

Well, hopefully this has whetted your appetite.

Maybe you like my paintings, more of which will be appearing soon.

But I hope this is a page which just makes a lot of sense, looks good and makes you want to see more.

Cheers.

An Interview with Ian Holm (Ash)

Actor Ian Holm has had a career which if nothing else, has certainly been varied.

In the last 20 years, he's tried to choke Sigourney Weaver (Alien), been assaulted by a team of diminutive thieves (Time Bandits) and played second fiddle to a talking typewriter (Naked Lunch).

Holm only recently caught up with Luc Besson's sci-fi fantasy The Fifth Element although he was hardly mobbed by adoring fans.

"I was walking past the Kensington Odeon the other day," he recalls. "I suddenly noticed it was on so I thought I'll just sneak in."

Alas, the man at the box office didn't know the award-winning actor from any other punter. Holm asked if he did concessions for actors in the movie. "He burst out laughing, picked up the phone and dialled the manager and says: There's a bloke here who says he's in The Fifth Element."

Holm finally got his free ticket and an apology from the red-faced ticket man. "So I saw it with eight people and four of them walked out. It was a bit of hokum. It was all right," he says modestly. "Bit of bubble gum."

As you may have gathered, Holm isn't precious about the $70million blockbuster. After all, with over 40 years in the business, it would take a major movie to impress him these days.

Since first treading the boards in 1956, Ian Holm has spent most of his adult life suffering for his art on stage and screen.

In the Sixties and Seventies, he was said to be the most likely successor to Laurence Olivier, whom he later worked with. Holm also played the Fool to Charles Laughton's King Lear at Stratford.

In the early days, it looked like nothing could muddy Holm's waters. Then during a London preview of The Iceman Cometh in 1976, disaster struck.

A sudden bout of stage fright forced him to walk off and he didn't return for 15 years.

"To this day I have no idea what it was. Madness of some description," he recalls.

Holm has never done another job but he's also never gone hungry. During his period in the theatrical wilderness there were enough film and TV roles to keep the wolf from the door.

Alien, Chariots of Fire, Greystoke and

• Brazilwere some of the biggest commercial and critical hits that made him one of the most sought-after supporting stars in showbiz.

"I did get to love film, obviously, because I couldn't appear in the theatre any more," he remarks.

One movie he loved more than most was Ridley Scott's seminal sci-fi thriller Alien.

"That was a very good film," he recalls, little knowing at the time it would turn out to be such a blockbuster. "Because it was made in 1979, I would have done anything then," he laughs. "I certainly had no idea it was going to become one of the great celebrated pieces of cinema."

Holm has fond memories of working with Sigourney Weaver in her breakthrough movie.

"That was very strange. I can't to this day think why I got cast in that. I was one of the first people to be cast and then it was very interesting because I could see half way through the film the emphasis changed and there was the birth of a star in Sigourney. You could almost sense it. It wasn't just the underwear scene," he laughs. "I could just tell she was going to go on to big things. She's also a very nice lady.

"It was also an extraordinary experience working with someone as tough as Ridley Scott, I used the word advisedly and also like Luc Besson much later on. They are both very, very tough directors."

Chances are you'll remember the scene where the duplicitous science officer has his head knocked off and then is reprogrammed by Ripley to help the Nostromo survivors defeat the Alien. While it may look like the art department raided the local Tandy or Radio Shack for their props, the local greengrocer was closer the mark.

"After four hours in make-up, I was surrounded by spring onions and milk." Holm grimaces at the memory. "Then Ridley would go away for a few hours and I'd be stuck there in this table with spaghetti everywhere and milk all over my face. It really stank under the lights as you can imagine."

Ian also loved working with that other visionary director, Terry Gilliam, on both Time Bandits and Brazil.

"I worked with Terry a couple of times. I played Napoleon in Time Bandits and I loved that line where there's that long speech in about all the little people in history and then he finally slumps down and they get out his arm and it's gold and this little fellow says: Inne (sic) interesting? That always made me laugh."

While sci-fi fans may know him from high profile features, one of his favourite moments was making the TV version of a recently filmed children's classic.

"My big special effects experience was The Borrowers," he remarks. "That was very difficult acting in front of blue screens and you have to be rather good at mime. Crossing stepping stones over a river or whatever and there's absolutely nothing there. They put everything in afterwards as you know. It's very complicated I don't quite know why they do it."

Was Holm disappointed he didn't get to star in the recent John Goodman remake?

"I wasn't asked to do it," he sighs. "It was the same outfit as well which is what was so extraordinary."

Holm is currently working on a host of new movies including David Cronenberg's latest, Existenz.

"Just one more word. I can't say much for your chances but, [smiling] you have my sympathies."

Ash (Ian Holm)

• Alien: The script

• Go to The Bluffer's Guide to A Life Less Ordinary
  • Gattaca
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Event Horizon
  • Leon
  • Dark City
  • Brazil
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art