Twelfth Night

Period CostumeMoustache Warning Toby Stephens 40%, Steven Mackintosh 15%

Twelfth Night was the first Shakespearean play I ever properly studied and so I have a real soft spot for it. Therefore any adaptation with two (count 'em) Blueshirts is bound to get my seal of approval. However this is still a genuinely funny film even if you have no idea what the hell "now is the woodcock near the gin" means.

As usual Shakespeare attempts as soon as possible to dress up male actors playing women into mens' clothes. Hey, that's the 16th century for you! Identical twins Viola and Sebastian (not the most alliterative of pairings) are conveniently shipwrecked and separated. Viola (Imogen Stubbs) disguises herself as a bloke (as you do) and goes to work for the Duke. As the Duke's tall, dark, rich, handsome and Toby Stephens in a dashing moustache Viola falls for him. But he's in love with the precious Lady Olivia (Helena Bonham-Carter stromping as usual). Cue women falling in love with women, a great subplot to trip up a pompous butler and a Victorian setting.

Steven plays the pretty thankless role of Sebastian with gusto, although for him the moustache icon definitely denotes a warning. I just wish this adaptation had been out while I was revising for my GCSEs as I'm sure gazing into Toby's chocolate brown eyes would have improved my understanding of Orsino immeasurably: "If Toby be the food of love, play on..."

Reviewed by Oscarina, Blueshirt Tailor