Bridget Jones's Diary

Neil Pearson: 15%

Heart throbs - 2 Actress game for anything - 1 (v.v. good) Classic lines - too many to count

We've all been there. The film adaptation opens of a much-loved book and it's a flat pint of Fosters in comparison to the rich, dry Chardonnay you were expecting. Like most twenty-something singletons, the book of BJD made me laugh out loud at the brilliant observations of life in Blairite Britain.

After all the furore of an American getting the role of the quintessential English pear-shaped rose, I approached the film with caution. Was it going to be a dud Four Weddings? Would all the jokes be blanded out? Would she wear an enormous hat?

Ah, shame on ye of little faith. This film is an absolute corker. The screenplay improves on the book, if anything, with the genius Richard Curtis adding his unique twist of comedy. Casting Hugh Grant as the "baddie" boyfriend Daniel Cleaver was a masterstroke. He's obviously having a blast and revelling in delivering some of the best lines. And he gets to be sexy again, prowling about like some incredibly posh panther.

You may remember Colin Firth made a not insizeable dent in the female consciousness in that role in Pride and Prejudice. As the 21st century Darcy he gets to glower and smoulder in a similar vein but wearing a suit this time. The lack of britches is however made up by his swearing in a RP accent. Sigh.

Of course the titular (stop that sniggering) heroine is the main focus, and Renee Zwellenger really makes the role her own. There's warmth and humour, and her slapstick timing is faultless. During the film I yearned for Bridget to come out with more witty repartee and comments rather than looking so flabbergasted, but then I realised that this would be untrue to the character.

Despite the myriad supporting roles, the only Blueshirt that made it was Neil Pearson. However it's a joy to watch him playing an older but not necessarily wiser Dave Charnley from Drop The Dead Donkey. He doesn't get that many scenes, but it was great to see him on the big screen.

The only complaints are that it was over too soon, they've had to cut much of Bridget's interaction with her mates and that the friends of the family your Mum tries to set you up with never look like Mark Darcy.

"Fight! It's a real fight!" Classic.

Reviewed by Oscarina, Blueshirt Tailor