Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Period Costume

Jack Davenport: 30%

"Pretty boys with swords" was the text from one tailor that neatly summarises the surprise hit of the Summer of 2003. And long-term BluSher followers will know that we're suckers for that particular formula! (cf. The Knight's Tale, The Princess Bride ad nauseum).

Now I could lie and say that Jack doing a sarcastic Miles as a solid naval captain was the highlight. Another BluSher fan, Bess, summarises his performance perfectly with "The white powdered wig he was forced to wear throughout was a bit of a challenge, but our boy came through it and remained gorgeous and sexy!" High praise indeed.

I could veer towards the gorgeous Orlando Bloom cutting an Errol-Flynn like dash through the tropical seas. No longer a GHD-straightened blond elf but a valiant chestnut curled hero, he leaps and parries to screen stardom. Move over Brad and Keanu, Orlando is become the mot du jour to describe a Hollywood hunk.

But m'hearties 'tis one Jack Sparrow who steals the boat - and the show. Johnny Depp is a genius, combining Keith Richards with Peppe Le Peu and a vat of eyeliner into an inspired comedic act of the anti-hero pirate. From the best entrance ever of stepping off the cross-trees of his sinking boat on to the jetty in one stride to his "There'll be no living with her after this" when the feisty Miss Swann turns out to be right, he's unmissable.

They obviously had a blast making the film, and this old-fashioned romp really captures the innocence and energy of a genuine swashbuckler. Long live The Pirates Code! (Well, they're more guidelines really...)

Bonuses: Watch out for Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office) as a scurvy knave and some very clever special effects

For die-hard fans the DVD is fantastic, with deleted scenes, production notes, and a fantastically amusing audio commentary from Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport. Keira's shrieking does get a bit much but it's worth it for Jack's asides including "Now this is the only point in the film where I get to look vaguely butch". We reckon you were pretty butch throughout the whole thing Commandeur!

Reviewed by Oscarina, Blueshirt Tailor