Sense and Sensibility

Period Costume Greg Wise 50%, Hugh Laurie 10%

Ah, Willoughby, Willoughby, "the worst of libertines". In the scene where he rides to the rescue of Marianne when she twists her ankle he is romance incarnate. In fact it had such an impact that I was seriously disappointed to have only my ex come running and not the delectable Mr. Wise in my re-enactment of the aforementioned injury. I know life isn't like the movies, but there must be some exceptions, surely?! OK, OK, before the other tailors start, admittedly I was doing the congo in a college quad and not strolling across the English countryside, but I'm sure Greg could have manoeuvred a horse through the gates.

Anyway, back to the film. I always felt that everyone ended up with the wrong people in the book, so I suppose it's not really the film's fault that it left me feeling similarly dissatisfied (apart from the britches quota). Those of you familiar with Blueshirts will know of our obsession with britches and much of this is down to watching Sense and Sensibility two rows from the front. An 8 foot high expanse of cream fabric is bound to affect you a little!

As a whole the film is a storming example of how period drama need not be all frocks and authentic carriages. The homespun simplicity of the Dashwood sisters' existence really comes through, as do the constraints of class and society. Plus it must be the one and only Austen adaptation where someone nearly steps in dog shit. Fantastic!

I did feel that the admittedly youthful-looking Emma Thompson was stretching credibility a little by playing the 19 year old Elinor at the age of 36! However the rest of the casting is spot on. Hugh Laurie steals entire scenes as a bored husband, Kate Winslet empassions beautifully and of course Greg is gorgeous. I still find Alan Rickman difficult to really believe in after his stream of sarcastic villains and was desperate for him to tell Marianne to "Do shut up!" but I suppose that's down to my having watched Robin Hood Prince of Thieves too many times.

For Austen (and britches) fans everywhere, this film is a must-see.

Reviewed by Oscarina, Blueshirt Tailor