The Talented Mr Ripley

Jack Davenport: 20%

After this film I came out the cinema feeling like I had held my breath for 2 hours! This is a superbly atmospheric thriller set in 1950s Italy. Basically the chameleon-like Ripley (Matt Damon) decides to literally take the life of American playboy Dickie Greenleaf (the Adonis-like Jude Law). It's a real mix of a piece with something sinister always lurking beneath the surface even in the upbeat scenes dancing in nightclubs and sunbathing on the Italian Riviera. If you're looking for a film that demands some thinking, I would highly recommend this.

Jack only appears about two thirds of the way through the film, but in a tuxedo which must up his chances of being considered for the next Bond! His character is a world away from the homophobic Miles of This Life. Here he plays the sensitive gay composer who falls for Ripley. After his moment of glory at the opera, the costume designers are not kind. He wears a duffle coat and a brown coat with flecks that resemble a bad case of dandruff but our Jack holds his own amongst the Hollywood gliteratti. [cue Dambusters theme tune]

Reviewed by Oscarina, Blueshirt Tailor