Solomon's Pools

Solomon's Pools, located about four kilometers south of Bethlehem, have played a significant role in the area's water supply for centuries. The three pools are each over 100 meters long and ten meters deep and have a combined capacity of nearly 300,000 cubic meters of water.

These pools are fed by four different springs, the most prominent with the name Ein-Atan or Etam. It is named as one of the fortifications of Judah, underscoring its importance in biblical times.

The present pools were probably constructed by Herod the Great in connection with his improvements to the Jerusalem temple. Yet the name of Solomon continued to be associated with them, probably because of Ecclesiastes 2:5-6, which reads: "I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I made myself pools from which to water the forest of growing trees."

The area around Solomon's Pools has provided a pleasant atmosphere for picnics and relaxation over the centuries. On the north side at the entry to the park is an old structure, built in 1620, which is known as Qal'at el-Burak or the castle of the pools. This has served at times as a khan (a resting place for caravans) and a restaurant with a garden area inside.

The water system as a whole shows a high degree of sophistication. Five different aqueducts, totaling nearly 60 kilometers in length, were linked to Solomon's Pools. Two of them connected additional water sources from the south; another carried water east to the Herodium where Herod had constructed a lovely large recreational pool, lined with columns; and two aqueducts brought water to Jerusalem.

Solomon's Pools

setstats 1