Sobekkare Sobekneferu

The two head views below represent part of a tentatively identified Royal Statue. Attributed to a 'young' Amunemhat III, the strong but decidedly feminen features may actually represent Sobekneferu at 40-45 years of age. Although several broken and headless statues of this monarch are known to exist, only a small full-scaled one (with a partial face and wearing the heb-sed cloak and an unconventional crown) gives us a vague glimpse of what she may have looked like.

Her father ruled egypt for 45 years. As he was a young man when he came to throne, his heirs were advanced in age when it became their turn to rule. Possibly childless at their death, Amunemhat IV & Ptahneferu paved the way for a sister who would become the last of a proud and vigorous line. She was the last blood.

SOBEKNEFERU

The King of Upper & Lower Egypt, "Sobek'kare".
The Female Horus, She who is Beloved of Re, "Merit're".
She whose Appearance is Stable, "Dedehet" (?).
Daughter of Power, "Sit'sekhem".
The Daughter of Re, "Sobek'Neferu".

Born of the Good God, Amenemhat III & the Great Royal Wife, the Gods Sister, Nubheteptycred.

Sobekneferu was the last truly royal princess of the 12th dynasty. Amenemhat's Great Royal Wife and mother to his main heirs was named A'at. We must assume from her title that Nubheteptycred was a younger full sister of Aat's, or a daughter of Nefer'henut, a sister of Mereret II. Mereret was the Great Royal Wife of Senwosre III. Only at Aat's death could another sister or half-sister have become the chief queen. Sobek was one of two sisters, her other sibling being named Sithathorre. During the 13 years that her brother ruled, his Chief Queen was Sobek's (half?) sister, Ptahneferu.

At the death of her half-brother/husband? and his queen, she found herself with two options. She could marry and become the ancestress of a new dynasty, or take the throne herself. It may be she chose the latter because she was past the child-bearing age. Or, like Hatshepsut some three hundred years later, may have deemed any living princes as not being royal enough. Whatever her reasons, she ruled for 3 years and 10 months. With her death, the 13th Dynasty commenced with a new line of kings that may have been children of a secondary wife of Amunemhat III. Some egyptologist suggest she may have been the wife of Sekhemre Khutowy Amunemhat Sobekhotep I, the founder of Dynasty 13. No evidence for this is to be found.

Althought this woman had a short reign, she was active in the delta area, building temples and furthering agriculture. She may also be responsible for the completion of the labyrinth that her father built and was nearing completion when he died.

This monarch, unlike Hatshepsut, was under no dillusions that she could fool anyone about her sex. There is not one statue or drawing depicting her as a man. An uninvestigated pyramid of this era in the fayoum is thought to be hers. It has been described as technically advanced in concept. Had she, like Hetepheres I, Khentkaues I, and Iput I (dyn.4,5,6) decided to marry the next indirect heir, her story might have been a different one and she would not be so often ignored by egyptologists. I believe, when more information becomes available, she will prove a surprise to many!

Neferure