It seems fitting to add Tutankhamun to this "last blood" theme, since with his death, the royal house of the 18th dynasty came officially to an end. At present, it remains debatable on the parentage of this young man. The present popular theory being he was either the son of Akhenaten & Tadukhipa (Kiya?), or the son of Amunhotep III & Tiye.

He calls Amunhotep III 'father', on the statue of a lion. Ay calls Tutankhamun 'son' on an inscription found. If in both cases they mean a generation removed, he would be the grandson to both theses kings. This would mean he was the son of Akhenaten and... Nefertiti! If Kiya turns out to be Tadukhipa, the only person thought to be related to Ay would be Nefertiti. I have my doubts on this relationship.

MY THEORY

Kiya, although a pet name, is too familiar sounding a name with Ay[a], Thuya, Tiye, etc. and it may turn out she was a daughter of Ay & Tey's. As for Nefertiti, I believe, for severeal reasons, her to be a daughter of Amunhotep III & Gilukhipa. Take into account her foreign looking crown & exotic beauty, her high titles, while never explicitly stating her a Kings daughter, and the fact that Tiye had several daughters who, rightfully, should have married Akhenaten. Their father remedied this situation by marrying two of them! Perhaps a compromise was reached...

Tutankhamun, mysteriously, was mummified with his sternum missing. He also showed signs of having received a blow to the back of his head. Although surrounded by ambitious men, it is unlikely that he was murdered. Possibly, repeated tales of egypt's lost prestige and her glorious past made him anxious to prove himself in battle. On a probable border raid, he may have been thrown from his chariot. In the flower of youth, this hope of the dynasty was killed, paving the way for his great uncle and the general Horemheb! If anyone may have been murdered, to my mind it would have been Smenkhkare! Old enough not to need a regent, and instilled in the belief of the Aten, he would not have been a popular choice for the priesthood, even after his overtures. Remember: He was officially going by the name of: Neferneferuaten. Here, we may see the son of Kiya, possibly a half mittanian at that!

Correspondence of Tut's, at around the age of 16, shows he had an astute mind and would have made a much cleverer king then some of his ancestors. Buried with him were the two fetus's of his daughters. Upon examination, they showed signs of numerous abnormalities and spinal deformaties. Chances are that, after generations of inbreeding, this dynasty would have come to an end even if his untimely death could have been avoided! The chart upove shows his ancestors to the 5th generation, and is Tentative! With the discovery of the intact tomb at memphis of the "Royal Wet Nurse of the God, Lady Maya", it is hoped that light will finally be shed on the question of his parentage.

Recommended Books:

The African Origins of the Jewish People("The Moses Mystery")

Archaeological History of the Ancient Middle East

Pharaohs and Kings("A Biblical Quest")

Monarchs of the Nile

Back To Menu