A Conversation with Phillipe Dufour

The Hour Glass has just completed a show which they dubb the Mini Basel 97. Amongst some of the watches being shown, was the Dufour Double Escapement wristwatch. I had the opportunity to chat with the very innovative Phillipe Dufour.

Considered one of the brightest minds in horology, his claim to fame was the Duality shown here. As can be seen from the picture. The intent of such a movement is to allow the balance to balance out the problems caused by gravity.

The uniqueness of this movement lies in the fact that it runs on a double escapement.

Philippe Dufour, on his bench

Here is how the conversation went, paraphrased. PD = Phillipe Dufour, PC = Peter Chong

The Watch

PC: Phillipe, what is so special with the double escapement?

PD: The aim of the double escape is to even out the effects of gravity on the escape hairspring, much like the effects of a tourbillion, only more difficult to make.

PC: How so?

PD: It comprise of more parts than a tourbillion, and because I designed it from scratch on my computer, I wouldn't be sure that it would work until I finished the movement.

The first one (he shows me the watch he was wearing serial number 01), took me 12 months to make.

PC: (looking at the movement via a 10x loupe) WoW! this is a very beautifully made movement. Do you hand make the complete movement yourself?

PD: Oh yes! I am a one man show. I do everything. I use very traditional equipment. Other than the design, which is done on a computer, the entire movement is hand made and completely hand finished by me. I don't have any employees.

PC: Even the case? How do you make the case? How long would it take you to make one now?

PD: I don't make the case. It is hand made, and the lugs are hand soldered by a goldsmith friend. The watch can be ordered in white gold, yellow gold or rose gold. I don't even making the movement until it I get an order.

PC: How does the double escape take the energy from only one mainspring and provide the timing to just one movement?

PD: The concept, simple though it sounds, and incredibly complex to execute, is to use a flat differencial method. Same as a car's differential, where either wheel is free to spin independently of each other, whilst taking power from just one engine. Except that the differential is flat. (shows me a hand colored, computer plot of a drawing of the differential)

Both escapes are beating at 18,800 bph, and completely independently to each other. The differential averages out the beats, summing the errors to net at close to zero.

The idea of using a differential is nothing new. It has been used successfully in power reserve indicators. But ensuring that it runs with the efficiency of a tourbillion and able to net out the positional errors of the escapes, is quite a feat.

The Dufour Differential next to a regular matchstick, showing how small the components really are.

The movement, showing the double escape wheels

PC: Are the orders overwhelming?

PD: I have sold one to a Singapore collector, serial number 00, and 3 more are currently works in progress. Give me an order...I will make one for you...(smiles)

PC: How much would one be?

PD: About S$95,000. I will need 3 months or so to make.

PC: Do you intend to limit the production?

PD: Due to limitations to the one man show, and I insist that for a watch to bear my name, I must have made the whole movement by my own hands, I am putting an arbitrary limit of 25 pieces.

PC: Do you make any other watches?

PD: Yes. I have a Grande Sonneire. (shows me the picture)

PC: Do you do anything else?

PD: Actually, I was trained to be a master watch restorer. I have been commissioned to restore expensive watches.

PC: What watch do you like most, other than your own?

PD: I really admire the A. Lange & Sohne range. Excellent quality movement. (kisses his own fingers). Especially the Pour La Merite Tourbillion. I have restored many old Lange pocket watches, and they are all exquisitely made.

(Points at my Girard-Perregaux)That is a very nice watch as well. Good movement, very classical dial and case.

(Some other people became interested in the converstion, and not wanting to hog his time, I thanked him and left. A very happy man...and to save my pennies to buy a Duality...)