The build up 1920-1940

Curtis XP-31

The first Curtis monoplane, it featured all-metal construction, enclosed cockpit, flaps and wing-slots, borrowed from the A-8 shrike. The tail was similar to that on the XP-23 and the forward fuselage was almost a direct copy. Gargantuan wheel pants and heavy underwing struts made it so heavy, however, that it was nearly 25 mph slower than its Boeing P-26 rival. Despite losing out to the P-26, Curtis had learned a great deal, enough to compete successfully in future bidding wars for contracts.

Curtis Model 75

X17Y was all-metal and featured a retracting landing gear that rotated the undercarriage legs as they retracted aft, so that the wheel lay flat in the wings. It was powered by a Wright twin-row radial of 900 hp.

Curtis P-36 Test Aircraft

Delivered in March 1937 with revised cockpit and retractable tail wheel, the P-36 did so well that Curtis received the highest pursuit plane order since 1918, when the Air Corps asked for 210 P-36As at approx. $19,500 each.

Just before the outbreak of WWII, this P-36 formation scene represented US fighter air power, all are from the 20th Pursuit Grp. The P-36A had a top speed of 313 mph, a cruise speed of 270, could climb at 3,400 ft. better than a Hurricane I or a Spitfire I. It had twice the range of the British fighters, but was armed with only two .30 caliber machine guns.

SEV-3

The original Seversky entry of 1935 was based on this float plane. Basic airfoil that would be present on the P-35 and on through the P-47, is already I place.

Back to Fighters

Home

Next

EasyCounter