Sculpin Reunion Reno 2003

Drawing Winners

Plankowner Stein                 Al Hammond                              Only Plankowner M Div member present

Original Sculpin Plaque    Mike Waters                   Stay out of poker games with this guy.  He wins everything.

Sculpin Reunion Plaque    Ralph Safford                   Stay out of poker games with this guy also.  When he became COB on another boat, he ran the poker games.

Klaxon                                    Art Brice

Sculpin Print                         John Luedecke

Sculpin Print                         Tom Hazard

James “Jay” Everitt                Can’t remember what he won and Tom Utley’s handwriting after 28 bloody mary’s is unreadable.  :>)

I believe that everyone had a good time at the dinner and at the pump room.  If you get a chance to talk with Brian Davis, take pity on him.  Dementia is setting in.  He was convinced that I was somehow connected with some unnatural act involving thumbs, a vice, and blue grease.

In case you missed the free beer day in the pump room, you really missed a good time.  Especially when Ralph Safford was giving Mike Waters a lesson in anatomy.  Mike got so excited he fell out of his chair.  There were pictures taken of that and they will be posted.   Your teaching job is safe Ralph.  I don’t think pictures were taken of you.

After over 32 years, the following were instantly recognizable by me:

Bob “The Niner” Sykes

Brian Davis

Ralph Safford

Mike Butner

Dennis “Rosie” Rosemier

Mike Waters   Even though I see Mike every year or so, he still would have recognizable.  The only thing that’s changed in 33 years is that his hair and beard are now white instead of black.

Tom Utley not only put together a tremendous party, he still had time to get married in the middle of it.  On September 4th, 2003, the day of the dinner, Tom married his sweetheart Sylvia.  If you get the chance, and were not at the reunion, please send Tom and Sylvia congratulations.

I have set up a group mailing list for the Sculpin.  If I have somehow missed you, please send me an email at [email protected] and I will pass you the word on how to get set up.  I have posted pictures of the reunion dinner on the group mailing list.  If you have pictures of the dinner or pump room, you should be able to post them to the group site.  If you have problems, send them to me and I will post them.  If you have physical pictures and don’t have a way to scan them, send them to me and I will scan them, post them to the site and return the hard copies to you.

Again, I had a hell of a time.  There was general interest in doing this every three years in conjunction with subvets.  However, subvets 2006 convention is in Cleveland, Ohio.  After the location was announced, quite a few of the guys were not interested in Cleveland.  There was interest in San Diego and other locations.  I will put a poll up on the group list and see if there is some consensus on where to have the next reunion.

There was consensus on setting up a non-profit entity for reunion info.  Gordon Purdy volunteered to pay for the web site location.  When that is set up, info will be passed.  There will be a need for officers, collecting dues, etc.