BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Hi, I've had a few emails from people wanting to know who is the fulla behind this website and all so I thought I better write down a bit and tell ya's who he is!  :)

My name is Garth O'Connell, I am a descendant of the Gamilaroi clan of North-Western New South Wales.  My fathers family are from Moree, N.S.W.  My mothers family are of Irish (Co.Tipperary) background, when they immigrated here many years ago they moved to Scone N.S.W. and to the predominately Irish immigrant town of Jamberoo N.S.W.

I am related to two Aboriginal World War One veterans, Robert Munro (Killed In Action) and William Irwin - who was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1918.  Bill was killed while achieving his daring feat.

My mothers grandfather was in the 12th Light Horse Regiment in World War One, he participated in the Charge of Beersheba.   Trooper O'Connell was wounded during the war and died in 1932 as a result of his service.  His son, my Grandfather Brian, served with the 2/13th Battalion - the only unit to have marched in and out of the epic Siege of Tobruk.  He was severely wounded in action at Tobruk, was evacuated back to Australia and never saw action during the war.   My uncle Kevin was a National Serviceman during the Vietnam War, fortunately he did not see active service.

I joined the Australian Infantry in 1995, since then I have travelled over much of the country and overseas. I have regulary come across many other Koori and Murri diggers in my time in the Army, I usually carry a camera with me on every exercise so luckily I have taken some snaps with the other fellas.  I have recently posted up a few pictures of me soldiering here.

In May 1999 my unit was asked to provide volunteers (on 48hrs notice) to assist in the disaster relief of the massive hail storm that hit Sydney in mid-April.  This effort was called "Operation Holdfast".  My company provided the largest contingent of Army Reserve soldiers to this effort.  We were led by another Aboriginal soldier, Lieutenant Jack Pearson (originally from FNQ), who is a Infantry platoon commander in my company.  After 10 busy days of assisting the volunteers (SES, bush firebrigade etc) and 'regular' services such as the police and firebrigades we were stood down from duty.  I was lucky enough to be awarded 'best soldier' award by my fellow diggers.  Among our 'push' or effort was another Aboriginal soldier from the South Coast of N.S.W.

The reasons for me joining the army are varied, one of course is the family history which was taught to me from a young age. I remember being shown pictures of my late Grandfather in action at Tobruk, his picture making the frontpage of the Sydney Sun in mid/late 1941 (AWM neg 07486) - that photo is very well known and has featured in many Australians at war books and publications.  (Damien Parer took still Cinesound footage of my grandfather and his section - and another famous Australian photographer Frank Hurley captured the boys with still footage. This footage has been used in several documentaries and plays every ten minutes in the Australian War Memorials 'Orientation gallery" also used in the 1995.

My grandfather at Tobruk, April 1941.

Don Company, 2/13th Battalion in action at Tobruk, April 1941.  My pop is the bloke with his rifle out the front the furthest.   My pop was 19 years old when this picture was taken.  This picture appeared on the front page of the Sydney Sun and was the first picture back of our boys during the 262 day Siege of Tobruk.  The fella closest to the camera, Private Luck was Killed In Action during the 'Breakout' of Tobruk at Ed Duda in November 1941.

I graduated from University with an Applied Science Degree in Cultural Heritage Management.font>

My civilian career is at the Australian War Memorial now.

Sporting interests include Ice and Inline Hockey (Go the Vancouver Canucks!), competitive military shooting and scale military modelling.

*See glossary

Main Page