MEMORIALS TO ABORIGINAL SOLDIERS

There several Memorials around Australia dedicated to Indigenous Australians at war. Places include the Northern Territory, Torres Strait Islands, King Island, Canberra and the Gold Coast. As far as I know all are free to go visit and pay your respects.

CANBERRA

"Remembering the Aboriginal people who served in the Australian forces"

This memorial is on public land - at the base of Mount Ainslie behind the Australian War Memorial. It was placed there by a local non-Aboriginal citizen in 1993 as part of the UN 'Year of Indigenous People'.  The Australian War Memorial does represent Indigenous Australians within the galleries. Objects including artwork, medals, biographical information panels and photographs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander servicemen, women and civilians are placed in the historically appropriate galleries and context.

awm-map.gif (16814 bytes)

If you are in Canberra and want to see the Aboriginal War Memorial it is free. If you have any problems please email me at [email protected] and I can help you out.

(image yet to be scanned)

GOLD COAST (BROADBEACH)

"This rock is placed here to honour Yugambeh men and women who served in defence of this country. Yugambeh is the linguistic name of the Aboriginal people whose tribal region extends inland from the Logan and Nerang rivers and includes the areas covered by all the adjacent streams and creeks. Yugambeh family groups include Kombumerri, Wangeribubba, Migunburri, Munajahli, Gugigin, Birinburra and others. We honour those who served in the armed forces and those who made the supreme sacrifice. The symbolism of this rock serves to highlight the role played by Indigenous Australians in defence of this country".

Erected by Komburri Aboriginal Corporation for Culture with support and assistance from the Gold Coast City Council. April 21, 1991.

For more information contact:

Komburri Aboriginal Corporation for Culture, P.O. Box 668, Runaway Bay QLD 4216.

CANADIAN MEMORIALS

This beautiful monument (see bottom of page) like our memoral - will be placed in the capital city, Ottawa.   The monument will be approximately 27 feet tall and 18 feet square.  While you are the website, check out the poem. . .its very touching.

Main Page