Willie's Story

This is Willie at one week old. He weighed 3lbs 7.25oz when he was born, ten weeks premature, on January first 1989. He entered the world without a heart rate or respiration. Within two hours of his birth he had a transfusion.

Willie had a number of problems right from the start. His heart was not ready to beat on its own. We had a number of scares when his heart would slow to a dangerous rate or stop all together. He also had liver problems which are common to newborns but in preemies are dangerous. He was very jaundice and we had allot of trouble getting his biliruben levels down.
      He was so little. I was terrified of touching him, so afraid that I would hurt him. All those wires and tubes were so overwhelming. There were more of them than there was of him. To me, it didn't seem possible that such a tiny body could survive. There were even tinier babies in incubators near by, but my focus was on Willie. His three siblings had all entered the world weighing 5 to 6 pounds more than he did.
     All I could think was "why me?, why now?, why this?" I didn't touch him at first. I believed (mistakenly) that if I didn't touch him then I wouldn't love him and I wouldn't become attached. If he died it wouldn't hurt so much. I was wrong. Just looking at him laying there strengthened the bond that had begun long before his birth.
    When he was five days old I held him for the first time.

The nurses wrapped him in three blankets to hold all the wires in and to make him big enough to hold. I looked down into that tiny little face and thought, "My GOD, this is my son." The battle to hold myself apart from him was over, I had lost myself in his eyes.
     Willie came home when he was four weeks old. He had an apnea monitor and heart monitor, but he was breathing on his own. When we weighed him just before leaving the hospital, he was up to 4 lbs 9 oz. He was dressed in doll clothes because it was all we could find to fit him.

But he was HOME!

This is were the hard part starts and the reason for this site begins.

Diagnosis and beyond