Peter Schmeichel

BORN: 18th November 1963

BIRTHPLACE: Gladsaxe, Denmark
HEIGHT:
6'4"
WEIGHT: 14st 0lb

Peter Schmeichel was bought by Manchester United in August 1991. He was signed from Brondby IF at a great price of only £500,000. From that day it has been undoubtedly one of the best transfer buys that Alex Ferguson has made.

He is easily the best goalkeeper in the country, maybe the world, but you don't hear a lot of non-man united fans with them words coming out of their mouths.

The season before Peter arrived at Old Trafford he was voted Denmark's player of the year, and in the summer of 1992 he was part of Denmark's European championship winning team. In his first season 1992-93, Peter Schmeichel carried on his great form and conceded only 31 goals in 42 games.

He is now the first player on the team sheet, and will carry on their until he retires (The later-the better). Because he has been one of the reasons why Manchester United have one their four titles. He has been influential from the back, making vital saves, every single game. One of Peters memorial moments came against Rotor Volgograd in a September 1995 clash at Old Trafford. Peter came up in the last 10 minutes and scored a headed goal, which saved Manchester United's 39-year unbeaten run of European games.

I look forward to watching many more games to be played by Peter Schmeichel, both for club and country, and I'm sure all other Man Utd agree with me!!!!

Back to players list