line

AN ORDER OF SERVICE FOR THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

line

OUR CONTINUING LIFE

Nowhere are the blessings of Spirit Communion more evident than in the bringing of comfort and help to the bereaved; indeed, the only possible message of comfort for those who are mourning the loss of their loved ones is the truth of the continuity of life and the certainty of the unbroken link with those on Earth.

The gloom which, in the past, has been associated with death has been due to ignorance concerning the After-Life. We know that the earth-life is but one of countless stages of experience, and though the flesh may separate us in these present conditions there is no separation of Spirit. We live in hope, joyfully anticipating the future. We believe that death is but a gateway leading into a freer and happier life, and that Spirit Return is God's great Gift by which all spheres of life are linked in service together.

We cannot in our limited human conditions escape the sadness which bereavement brings; but as we raise our thoughts to the greatness of the Heavenly Life so the Veil grows thinner and the truth of the co-operation and companionship of dear ones in the Spirit World with those in the physical body is more clearly seen and felt.

It will be understood that this Service can be modified as individual inspiration directs.

If it is desired to have a short service in the home before leaving for the Church, a suggestion for this will be found further on.

line

ORDER OF BURIAL SERVICE

**(It is important that before an interment the Minister should receive a certificate of death from the undertaker)

THE PROCESSION

**The Minister, meeting the coffin at the entrance to the Church or Chapel, and going before it, may use one or more of the following sentences:

The Lord is my Light and my Salvation; whom then shall I fear; the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?

Psalm 27: 1

I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord; he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.

St. John 11: 25-26

I heard a great voice out of heaven saying: Behold the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people; and God Himself shall be with them and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.

Revelation 21: 3-4

And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun, for the Lord God giveth them light; and they shall reign for ever and ever. Blessed are they that do His commandments; that they may have the right to the tree of Life, and may enter in through the gates into the City.

Revelation 22: 5, 14

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh even from the Lord, Who hath made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved, and He that keepeth will not sleep. Behold, He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord Himself is thy keeper, the Lord is thy defence upon thy right hand; so that the sun shall not burn me by day; neither the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil; yea, it is even He that shall keep thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in, from this time forth for evermore. Amen.

Psalm 121

THE SERVICE IN THE CHURCH

**The words in italics must be used according as each occasion requires.

**For cremation it is preferred that there be no words of committal. Tension is relieved by the coffin being removed in the middle of the Service. It is suggested that this should take place during the singing of a hymn or psalm, or, more preferably, while the Lord's Prayer is being said, when the eyes and mind are taken off visible things.

**When the mourners are assembled in their place in the Church the Minister will say:

Dear friends, during this short Service let us remember that this life is but a training for the Life to come, and when each has accomplished his work on Earth he is called to continue that work in a higher sphere.

We are gathered together to ask God's blessing for our beloved. We give thanks for the knowledge of that continuing life, where there is neither death, nor pain, nor crying. As you think how blessed is your loved one who has gone from pain and weariness into the Better Land, it will help you to overcome your natural sorrow to remember the Love of God, and God's Home is never closed to those who have passed on.

So we ask you to lift up your hearts and, by faith, to look beyond the shadows of the Earth life, when you will be able to see a little of the beauty which awaits you also.

Jesus said: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man keep My saying, he shall never see death."

St. John 8: 51

HYMN

**(A favourite hymn of the departed should be used if possible)

SCRIPTURE READING

St. John 14: 1-7

Let not your heart be troubled, ye believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's House are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto Him, Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me. If ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also; and from henceforth ye know Him, and have seen Him.

**Then may be said or sung:

PSALM XXIII

The Lord is my shepherd, therefore can I lack nothing.

He shall feed me in a green pasture; and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.

He shall convert my soul; and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness, for His Name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and staff comfort me.

Thou shalt prepare a table before me against them that trouble me; Thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.

But Thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. Amen.

Minister:

LET US JOIN TOGETHER IN PRAYER

OUR FATHER, Who art in Heaven, all hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. When in temptation Thy love sustains us, and deliver us from evil. For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory. For ever and for ever. Amen.

A PRAYER FOR THE DEPARTED

**(In the case of a little child "A Prayer for a Child" is in the Supplementary Prayers further on)

O GOD, our Father, Who holdeth all good things in Thy sake keeping, we pray for our brother/sister who has completed his/her earthly span. Bless him/her and guide him/her, and help him/her to learn quickly the way of spiritual progress, so that he/she may indeed be one of Thy devoted servants. Amen.

A PRAYER FOR THE BEREAVED

O HOLY SPIRIT, Divine Comforter, we know that Thy Presence is among us in fulfilment of the promise of our Lord Jesus Christ; and we ask that Thou wilt pour Thy comfort and strength into the minds and hearts of these Thy children. Grant that courage may rise within them to meet this test, and that they may realise that the separation is but material alone; and in God's good time all will meet again. May they ever remember that when sleep claims them they can be with that one so dear in the World of Spirit, learning from his/her experiences, and knowing that day by day he/she is able to share their life on Earth. Amen.

THE ADDRESS

**Here may be given any personal testimonies that are known of the departed person's life and character.

**It must be left to the Minister to decide that which will be most helpful and appropriate for each occasion, but for those who may need it the following address is given (an alternate address is given further on).

**Turning to the people the Minister will say:

Dear friends, it is my earnest wish to give you a few words of comfort which may help you during the coming days, when you will miss your dear one so much. May I ask you to try to think of the physical body as merely a garment which has played its part, and now can be discarded for a body which will be stronger and more able to work for God and for you.

Remember always that God is your Father, and even an earthly Father does not deprive his children of those things which they hold most dear. But you know that life on Earth is surrounded by circumstances that test and strain the body, and although much can be done to bring back vitality, the sickness and diseases of the Earth take their toll, and the one concerned passes out of suffering into the joy of another state of being. Very soon he/she will find himself/herself renewed in health and mind, and, on looking back over the past, he/she finds that the experiences of physical life have provided useful tools for that higher plane of life into which he/she has entered.

Now is your opportunity to prove the depth of your love, for real love is unselfish, and always puts first the happiness and welfare of the one who is loved. You must take up your life again and, by faith and prayer, you can prove to yourself and others that the sorrow which has fallen upon you has strengthened your character and given you a wider understanding of the sorrows of others.

Do not think that in speaking in this way I cannot realise your sorrows, but I would remind you that although you are human, first of all you were Divine, and through the Divinity within you, you are capable of rising to far greater heights than can enter your imagination now. The way to climb out of the Slough of Despond is the simple way laid down by Jesus the Christ - the patient carrying on of your work day by day. When depression seems to threaten you, hold fast to the Lamp of Hope. Soon you will find that its flame will become stronger and brighter, and by this fact others who have been broken-hearted over the loss of their dear ones, will respond to your influence and thank God you have passed their way.

May our Saviour make real to you today His words: "My strength, my grace, is sufficient for thee."

A MOMENT'S SILENCE

**Then the Minister will say:

L et us be silent for a moment to pay tribute to our friend. We wish him/her God Speed.

**Here may follow a HYMN, or if preferred, the NUNC DIMITTIS.

NUNC DIMITTIS

LORD, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace; according to Thy word.

For mine eyes have seen, Thy salvation,

Which Thou hast prepared, before the face of all people;

To be a light to lighten the Gentiles, and to be the glory of Thy people Israel.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

**In the case of a Burial the Blessing will follow at the end of the Committal (see further on).

THE BLESSING

THE GRACE of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with us all evermore. Amen.

IN THE CASE OF A BURIAL

**When they come to the grave, and the coffin is being made ready for immediate lowering into the ground, the Minister will say:

I should like to read one passage from the Pilgrim's Progress on the passing of one who was Valiant for Truth:

" When the day that he must go hence was come, many accompanied him to the river side, into which as he went he said: Death, where is thy sting? And as he went down deeper, he said: Grave, where is thy victory? So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side."

THE COMMITTAL

Seeing now that our brother/sister has been set free from the physical body to enter into a new life with a spiritual body stronger and better than the flesh, we commit his/her spirit into God's hands. We give thanks to God for the gift of his/her earthly life; for the promise of a sure resurrection, and a happy reunion in the Life to come. Glorious is the Life of the Spirit, and glorious is the thought that each stage of life faithfully lived is a step nearer to that Heavenly Home promised by God.

**(In the case of a little child see further on in the Supplementaries)

And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments; and said unto them: Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen.

St. Luke 24: 4-6

THE BLESSING

Unto God's gracious mercy and protection we commit you; the Lord bless you, and keep you, the Lord lift up the light of His countenance upon you, and give you His peace, now and for evermore. Amen.

line

SUPPLEMENTARY PRAYERS, ETC

ADDRESS TO PARENTS IN THE CASE OF A CHILD

Beloved, this little child has gone to live in the glories of the Spirit World, but the Father has provided an ever-open door through which your child can come to you and be in the home. God is a God of Love, and your little one is safe in the care of Angel friends. Do not let your grief dim the happiness of your child's new life, but rather enfold him/her in the thoughts of your unselfish love; and believe that by the grace of God his/her love is with you still.

A PRAYER FOR A CHILD

GENTLE JESUS, the Friend of little children, take into Thy loving arms our little one. We relinquish this flower of God's Creation, knowing that in Thy tenderness Thou wilt give Thine Angels charge over him/her, so that he/she may learn the way of life, and even hold fast his/her links with those who love him/her here on Earth. Amen.

A PRAYER FOR THE PARENTS

O SAVIOUR CHRIST, Who, in the midst of Thy great suffering, didst remember the anguish of Thy mother, give to these sorrowing parents that peace which the world cannot give; and grant that, as the days go on, still greater confidence may be released within; so that they may continue their earthly way knowing that all is well with their child. Amen.

COMMITTAL FOR A CHILD

And Jesus said: Except ye become as little children, ye cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.

St. Matt. 18: 3

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

St. Matt. 5: 8

Know ye not, that in Heaven their Angels do always behold the face of My Father, which is in Heaven.

St. Matt 18: 10

O LOVING FATHER, into Thy hands we commit the soul of this little child; and as we lay the earthly garment into the keeping of Mother Earth we know that the life which was within it has been transferred to another sphere, one full of love and beauty and all those things so dear to the heart of a child. Grant that the parents may leave this quiet spot certain that their child lives on in happier conditions, and that the ties between them never will be severed. Amen.

line

A FORM OF SERVICE WHICH MAY BE USED IN THE HOME BEFORE LEAVING FOR THE CHURCH

**Calling together those who are assembled in the home, the Minister will say:

OUR FATHER, Who art in Heaven, all hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. When in temptation Thy love sustains us, and deliver us from evil. For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory. For ever and for ever. Amen.

St. Paul, in his Epistle to the Corinthians, writes:

"All things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the Glory of God. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. We look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

II Cor. 4:15

Dear friends, in your day of need and your natural sorrow at loosing the physical presence of the one you love, I ask you to try to lift up your hearts and to look to the light and beauty and freedom into which that one has passed. In the familiar surroundings of the home his/her presence will be with you still. Try then to realise the happy state of your loved one, who, released from physical limitation, will now have a greater capacity to love you. Directly, he/she will want you to share his/her happiness. Realise that your thoughts and feelings can help or hinder him/her in his/her spiritual progress. Now, as never before, prove the reality and unselfishness of your love, and in time you will find the courage to rejoice in the happiness that he/she has won. (Therefore, fortify your faith by the thought that each night while the body is bound in sleep, you can join your loved one in the World of Spirit.)

The peace of God, which passeth all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of God, and of His Son Jesus Christ our Lord. And the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit, be with you and remain with you always. Amen.

line

AN ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS IN CHURCH

Our Lord said to His disciples: "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

St. John 14: 27

The peace which Christ offers to men is the knowledge that nothing can separate us from the unfailing love of God. To His own disciples He said: "I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you." But they could not grasp His sayings, for their vision was not yet open.

They could not understand how it could be "expedient" for them that He should go away, and they said one to another: "What is this that He saith unto us? - 'A little while and ye shall not see Me, and again, a little while and ye shall see Me.' "

The words spoken by our Saviour are plain to us who know the truth of the Life of the Spirit; but at that time the disciples had no such knowledge, and with their limited view how could they understand? It seemed to them that His death shut the door on all their hopes, and all that which they had looked for. They were of all men the most miserable. And as they walked along the road to Emmaus they talked to the stranger Who met them by the way, saying: "But we trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel!" But in that very instant their lives were transformed, as Jesus said to them: "Peace be unto you." Death had not changed Him. It was His physical body only that was changed, and that to a more glorious form, and in the miracle of that revelation was the Key to the future - their continued work and fellowship together. In His arisen and spiritual Presence Jesus was the same loving personality as before, and as their Lord and Master He would be for ever with them, to guide and strengthen and sustain them to their journey's end.

So with our loved ones who pass from us, shall we not think of them in this same way, as being risen with Christ? They are not lost! They have but entered into another life of activity and progress; and God in His loving mercy, has provided the way by which they can return to us, and bring their love to help us, and walk with us until our pilgrimage on Earth is done.

line

ON THE TRANSITION OF AN ADULT

**Extract from an Address: "THE GAP BETWEEN THIS LIFE AND THE NEXT" given by the celestial-messenger Zodiac, on Sunday, May 21st, 1950, at Penzance, through the mediumship of Miss Winifred Moyes..

"I want you to consider where you stand. However much you may shrink from the thought of the transition, come it must, and you cannot say when the call will come to you…the pains of the body are no more, the weakness of old age is forgotten, the adversities of physical life are seen in their true light as stepping stones of experience to truth and understanding.

"Yes, and that can be the lot of each and every one gathered here today, and all those who will read my words in this land and in many others. And your part is clear, beloved, to give your support to those who believe that physical death is like passing out of a dark room into one which has something of sunshine. That is all that physical death represents for the man or the woman who has tried to do their duty, who has been kind and sympathetic, and who has not scorned the labour of physical life. There is no need to sorrow for them. I know that those who are left behind miss the physical presence, but soon their loved ones will be back in the home. The only reason why you cannot see and hear them, as the so-called mediums are able to do, is because of the materialism and lack of faith built up by those on the physical plane, who have no time for religion for they are occupied with other things, with pandering to the body and snatching at the pleasures of physical life.

"So you see what lies before you? You can regard your passing out of this dim plane as the happiest day of your life, and it was meant by God to represent a happiness no earthly words can describe for it is of the Spirit. So as you take your daily way and you see those who are going down the hill of physical life, remember my words. You have it within your province to comfort them, to reassure them, to take fear out of their heart and replace it by something of a joy which shall grow and grow."  ZODIAC

line

ON THE TRANSITION OF A CHILD

Extract from an Address: "GROWTH AND AGE IN THE SPIRIT WORLD" given by the Christ-messenger Zodiac on Sunday, August 12th, 1945, at Bromley, Kent, through the mediumship of Miss Winifred Moyes.

"Then I take you to the other end of the scale, to a little child. You have noticed a look of wisdom shining forth from the baby face and you have become awed; you say to yourself: 'It was as though an experienced soul was looking at me through my child's face!' And sometimes these little ones are wanted for work in the next world. They are so sweet and loving that they can act as ministering angels to the bonded; and those who find their arms empty are indeed blessed if they do not become embittered because their child is used to bring joy to others, to those who stand in far greater need of that joy than the parents concerned.

"It is a wonderful thought that God, being our Father, has placed so much within our own province. It is not He Who ordains suffering and sorrow. His Law is health, happiness, vitality, beauty and a melody that streams from the Divine within. But man has over-ruled God's Law and for a span he must have his own way until, having learned his lessons by the only way man can learn - by suffering - he tries that better way that leads to peace."  ZODIAC

line

CONTENTS OF THE SERVICES BOOK

line

To Zodiac Messages

To other articles

To Greater World Home