(Ignore the advertisement above)

Computer Stuff, Photos, and more about me.

Last updated 10/27/2009 (yeah, I can't believe it either)

You are probably visitor number

UPDATES: Connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your Internet connection, The Importance of WiFi Security, Family Guy Animation

Hello, and welcome to my web site. I will have more photos coming soon as I'm redoing parts of the website. Here you'll find various photos of my interests, places, events, and more.

Enjoy your stay and feel free to email me at [email protected].

<-- My kickin' Mac Mini with external hard drive.

THE IPOD TOUCH

I took my used iPod Video apart once too many times and ended up breaking it. I was considering waiting until after Christmas to get another one but my friend convinced me otherwise. At first I was contemplating getting another iPod Video from The Exchange but I noticed that a few locations had used iPod Touches for a reasonable price. I ended up getting a brand new iPod Touch from Wally World though based on the newer features, longer battery life, and the longer warranty than what The Exchange gives. I must say I LOVE IT!

First off, this is not just an iPod; but rather a miniature computer. The operating system is a very slimmed-down version of Mac OS X, so you know it's reliable. The touch screen pizazz fades after a while, but what I like about it is that you can do so much more with it. Aside from addicting games, you can watch YouTube videos on it (something my friend's smartphone could not do), browse the internet, read books, play annoying fart sounds, calculate a restaurant tip, pretend it's a lightsaber, add your car's manufacture details and have it calculate the average cost of repairs...

Using a special headphone/microphone combo (purchased on eBay for $5.99 + free shipping from China!), you can play a virtual wind instruments, even sing into it to have it tell you the song you're trying to figure out the name of. There's also a free application from the AppStore that lets you turn it into an iPhone! The drawback to that is that it operates off of unsecured wireless networks, but it's great in a pinch of you're out of minutes and near an unsecured wireless network.

There are some really nice non-Apple mp3 players out there even I would like to try (Sansa Shaker, for one), but if you have the cash, I recommend purchasing the iPod Touch. Yes, I am an Apple fanboy (ya think???), but this works on PCs and Macintosh computers. Be sure to check the minimum requirements for your computer before purchase.

NEW MAC + NEW DESK = NEW SETUP

Here's a photo of my new setup thanks to a new entertainment center, and I got it for free!

The upper Left hand has my tape deck. I use it to convert my parent's audio tapes to CD. Below that I have a Griffin FireWave Dolby Digital device. This allows me to listen to Dolby Digital audio from movies to my surround sound system. Underneath that is a Pioneer DVD burner, an external hard drive for backups (blue box) and my Nintendo Wii. To the right of that is my D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N router and my cable modem.

Below that is my Magnavox LCD TV which I use primarily as my monitor. The bottom left, going left to right, is my Western Digital external hard drive, USB hub, and 1.83 GHz Mac Mini. The pull-out tray holds my Microsoft ComfortCurve 2000 keyboard and Logitech MX400 performance mouse.

NewsHow to Incorporate an iPhone or Cellphone into your Car - this tutorial will show you different methods and devices used so that you can install a cellphone in your car and have the audio through your speaker system for nearly hands-free driving. From cheap methods to more expensive ways, this applies to almost any budget.

The Importance of WiFi Security - On my iPod I had bookmarked a web page of my own router setup and tried using it when I found a wireless network while at my parent's house. I found out how quick and easy it is to gain access to someone else's hardware and stir up some shenanigans. This article explains the process and points out how to prevent it from happening to you.

FBR Logos - Here's a page showing two logos I've done for Family Behavioral Resources. One logo was for the 2006 Autism Walk at Heinz Field while the other was for a recent project for my friend's supervisors.

Sean "The Shocker" Evans - R.I.P. - One of my good friends passed away in early October of 2007 after a long struggle with cancer. I first got to know him in High School. Since grade school I was intimidated by the upperclassmen; but in High School, Sean helped to change all of that. I have great memories hanging out with him, his family and friends whenever they would order pay-per-view wrestling matches, the awesome Halloween party in 1991, and the few cool times just him and I were hanging out, driving around. I regret losing touch with him years later. If I ever had a big brother, he would be the man I would choose. Even prior to his status as a professional wrestler; his courtesy, generosity, and personality have touched many lives. Sean Evans will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

Please click his photo to view the obituary in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and the guestbook.

Macinstruct Articles - Macinstruct.com re-launched in February of 2007. Since the relaunch there have been more articles than the original version of Macinstruct. The site has acquired a lot more volunteers and has gained more presence in the Macintosh community. Thanks to the various articles I've written, and more thanks to the articles that everyone else has contributed, Macinstruct.com is better than ever. The following two columns list of the articles that I've done that link to the page on the Macinstruct.com site. Clicking on each link will open a new window or new tab; depending on your browser settings:

How to Back Up Forgotten Items - Instructions on backing up bookmarks, Mail folders, shareware codes, and more.

Adding an iPod to Your Vehicle - After reading an article in Mac | Life, I wanted to extend on the possibilities on how to add an iPod to one's vehicle.

How to Add RAM to a Power Mac G4 - I had done this many times myself, but I wanted to publish this for beginners to show them how easy it was.

How to Add Fans to your Mac - This long tutorial dives into electronics and shows you how to keep the Mac running cooler.

How to Connect Multiple Monitors - This is an updated tutorial on an old trick which has required updating due to newer technologies. I still get emails on this one.

Keep Track of Family and Friends with Address Book - This guide explains little tricks on making Address Book work for you.

How to Find Macs on eBay - There are little tricks I've picked up along the way. Even if you're a PC user, the tips can be useful.

How to Control Cable Creep - After years of harnessing a sea of cables, I made this tutorial to show others how to control it themselves.

AirPort Card Alternatives - While doing research for cheaper 802.11g cards, I found a good source and wanted to share it with other Mac users.

How to Clean Your Mac - It's a dirty job, but preventive maintenance never hurt anyone.

Thrift Store Shopping for Macs - Oh, the deals I have found; not just on Mac hardware but Software and compatible hardware too!

UNPUBLISHED ARTICLES

The following articles have been submitted to Macinstruct but have not been published. I will soon make new pages for these directly available from this site:

How to make a gamepad into a remote control - This tutorial show you how to use a wireless gamepad or joystick into a remote control for iTunes, for your music recording software, or even as a replacement for the Apple Remote. Great for when you don't want to be tied to the keyboard.

Maximizing Physical Desktop Space - If you have an older computer desk you'd like to modify, this guide will show you how to make more space for added peripherals.

2 Mac FAQ's - Macinstruct.com was planned to have an FAQ section which never quite developed. I've created two Questions and Answers for the planned section.

MacMAME - This tutorial shows you more about the Multi-Arcade Machine Emulator, otherwise known as MAME. This program allows you to play the stand-up arcade games from the bygone days. Both Mac users and Windows users can enjoy these games.

The Macintosh Experience - Curious while the Mac is so easy to use and why its popularity is on the rise? This multi-page guide will show you how it works, and why it's so easy to catch on to.

How to Make Your Own Ringtones - Here's a way to convert your favorite MP3s and convert clips of them into cellphone ringtones.

Nighty Night - Here is my first fully-working AppleScript program. This program displays your iTunes playlists, then presents you with a list of sleep timers in 15-minute increments. While the music plays for the length of the playlist or sleep time you choose, the volume will decrease by 5 decibels over a period of time. When the volume reaches zero, the Mac will put itself to sleep!

Links to my other pages:

G4 Template - Before customizing your Macintosh G4 case, check these pictures showing clearance areas for peripherals.   Friends - Page of some buds of mine.
eBay Searching Tips - Utilizing the search engine for accurate results.   Family Guy - I did a Flash-based animation of my own Family Guy episode, but when it shows up in a search engine it comes up as a malicious page, which it isn't. Email me and I can send you the animation myself.
How to Sell on eBay - What and what not to do for bigger sales.   Work Toons - I got fed up with management, Quality Assurance, and customers while employed at Echostar. Here are cartoons reflecting my feelings.
Fake logins and How to Avoid Them - This page shows you how to avoid fake logins and what to look out for.   Macintosh Gaming Network How-To - How to hook up two or more computers for networked head-to-head gaming.
My Macs - Here's a rundown of the latest macs that I've had.   The Old Computer.com - Click here for The Old Computer.com banner entry page, and here for the banner that I made.
iPod Nano Battery Replacement - Overcoming an eBay store's error through soldering and determination.   RetroJunk Articles - My story about my love and history of video arcades can be found by clicking here, while my article on making the transition from kid to teenager can be found by clicking here.

Photo Albums:

2006 Mustang GT model - Summer 2006 for my friend

2006 Pittsburgh World of Wheels - Awesome muscle cars. Also ran into an old crush

Acura Integra Type R - The first model I started when getting back into the hobby

Acura RSX - Photographs of the sportier Acura model I've done

Bike Ride - Photos taken from the Boston Trail in August

Disney World - Photos from Disney in Florida, December 2003

Downtown Cleveland - July 2003 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Downtown Pittsburgh - Fall 2003 from the Duquesne Incline

Eastland Mall - Eastland Mall being razed, Winter 2007

Keith's Yard - The tow truck aftermath attempting to haul a van

McKeesport Cemetery - February of 2006 on a nice, breezy Saturday

2006 NAR Walk - From the National Autism Research Walk at Heinz Field

Pictures of Me - Pictures accumulated through the years

Renzie Park - Pictures of the local park taken September 2003

Round Hill Park - Taken in the summer of 2006 in Elizabeth, PA

Schenley Park - My favorite place to have a picnic

Triple B Farms - A visit to Triple B Farms on Sunday October 15th

White Oak Park - Photos from September or October 2003

Famous Encounters
(click for enlarged photo in new window)

Weird Al Yankovic signing my spatula.

Chilling out with Larry Thomas
a.k.a. The Soup Nazi

(Back to top)

Made on a Mac