When I first saw this film , it was about 3 years ago when I was starting to get into actual film making. And when you start learning how to make films, rather than being some sort of film critic, you start to realise the work that is involved in making films and start to appreciate the 'little' things that make a film and 'great' film. Not to say that this isnt one of those very watchable films, it very much is, and is probably one of the best films I have seen.

I think what make this film so great is the characters and the setting. Firstly you have our very unlikely hero, Leon, an italian 'cleaner' who works for the local ganster Tony, calm and very focused with his work. Emotionless in his work, hiding his poker face behind the round sunnies he always wears on the job, and sleeping with one eye open, he's a trained killer, and always alert to danger.In the words of Tony ' Leon you're indestructable, bullets slide off you , you play with them'. And he was right, until he finally meets a young little girl by the name of Matilda.

Matilda is a young girl who lives a very harsh life. Constantly being beaten up by her father, hated by her step sister and ignored by her step mother, the only real family she really has is her younger brother Joey. She usually escapes the hell of her life with a cigarette while sitting in the stairwell. On the off occasion she meets leon as he is coming back from one of his 'jobs' and on one occasion she questions Leon just after she has incurred a black eye, ' is life always like this, or just when you are a kid?'. Leon's reply is ' always like this' and walks coldly away.

Enter our catalyst for the events of our story, Norman Stansfield, a heartless DAE agent, who has his small share in every underbelly of the New York crime syndicate. A crazed maniac , he takes his victims out while high, and mercilessly unloads several rounds into an already dead corpse just for ruining his new suit.( but hey who wouldn't j/k).

As a cleaner or "hitman" , Leon is one of New York City's finest. If you want a job done, he's the man you would go to. But under Leons exterior is gentle and very kind person, whose dear love in his simple life is his potted plant that he treats like a king. Apart from all the killing and violence, Leon lead a very simple life, until Matildas family is shot down by DAE agents just down the corrider from where he lives. Frightened by what might happened to her, Matilda pleads Leon to take her in and protect her from the DAE agents. Reluctantly Leon accepts and takes Matilda under his refuge. But soon Leons friendship with Matilda starts to hinder his judgement as he goes out on assignments and he starts to have feelings that he hasnt had before...

Before long Leon is entangled in a manhunt which will threaten the lives of Matilda and himself. Only Leon's trained killer experience will save him.... or will it...

New york in this film is portrayed in this film as more of a living organism. The whole city has a life and texture which is really quite unique to this film. Besson has a very unique story telling style which is quite promenant in this film.

Overall this movie is great. My only wish is that I could have learnt more about Leons background.On one, Nor

Back to main<<<<<<<