JUST WHAT IS AN

An Explanation

(From an E-Mail to Robert Jung)

The year is 1987. "The Transformers" were still running the occasional new episode across the television airwaves, and I was busy collecting as many on the classic T-Forms as I could. Granted, that isn't all that strange, considering the way some people rampage stores these days looking for the latest releases of Starting Line-Ups, X-Men, Spawn, what have you... But that is now. In 1987, G.I. Joe, Barbie, and the occasional Hot Wheel or Matchbox was the mainstay of the toy collecting market. (What-the-hey, this was even BEFORE old Line-Up existed!) But in 1987 the unthinkable was happening that would make the current T-Form collector bug-eyed and drooling (yuck!). Transformers were on clearance.

I had always been a robot fiend. When T-Forms hit in 1984, I was in heaven. I had purchased a Hound and a Prowl for my nephew to play with when he was up visiting. (Yea, that's right, I KEPT THEM!) I found the way they converted fascinating.

Ah HA! Hasbro Bradley has got another one hooked! (And this one's too old to play with these things too! - Wrong!)

Something told me that these beasties would be a valued collectible someday. At least that was the reason I gave to my family for why I started to obtain all these 'bots! To a degree that was true. I still remember the day when, as a young lad, I played crush-the-soda-can with my brother's G.I. Joe Space Capsule. (You know - the one worth $900 now... ugh!) But the real reason was because I fell head over energon for Transformers. And in the process I dragged my sister with me (the mother of the young lad who rendered my Prowl into a convertible).

Now my sister and myself, being the creative sorts, started concocting ideas, stories, what have you, dealing with our favorite T-Forms. I, being in the Philadelphia area, referred to my material as coming from Ark/North. Her stuff was coming from the Southern Command of the Ark, since she was in Delaware.

So, while Best Products and Kiddie City (may they both rest in retail peace) were discounting the ENTIRE T-Form line of large Autobot Cars and Decepticon Jets, and Ports of the World (now Boscov's) and Discount Harry's were selling items like old Jetfire for $9.97, I was on a T-Form binge. But it also told me of one thing else. Since this stuff was on the discount lists, either it was about to change, or it was about to be canned.

(As we all know, it turned out to be change. Also, it turns out that it was also Hasbro clearing out their warehouses when they shut down their "Hasbro Direct" division. Discount Harry's in Camden, NJ was full of their mail-order stuff for a while, as I'm sure were many other outlets.)

On the television series, the episodes "Rebirth" had been shown. With Headmasters, Targetmasters, and Who-Knows-What-Masters in the works, I figured I'd put some of my collage training to work. I drafted up a script complete with character studies and shipped the mess off to Margret Loesch, Jay Bacal and company, Ark North being the creator of said story.

It got THAT CLOSE... (Yea, right!) Oh well...

Since those by-gone days, many things have changed. Vehicles have become animals, careers have changed, crude hand-drawn cartoons have become CGI technozowies, but my old confuser is still the same old junker I wrote my first scripts on. It wasn't until June of last year that I got a conpooper that could handle that newfangled concept called the Internet! (Hey, it was around back in '87, but if I had put my poor old 8088 on that early monster, it first would have sucked it dry in a nanosecond, then chucked back the husk while noting that it had been a nice appetizer!) Entering the net for the first time and finding all of the FanFics out there sure has me cyberspaced. Yowzaa! To think that some comic book publishers have been trying to trim back their 'universes'! They should look at the FanFics to see just how impossible that task is! Oie! So many authors, so many universes!

But, through it all, ArkNorth still exists, granted with different spacing in its name. It is a division of Denivan Media Services, my little production company I run on the side. It still cranks out the occasional script, the most recent having been sent to those fine folks at Mainframe. They were well received, but rejected. Oh well, such is life in the big city!

Back

�1998 Denivan Media Services