Bubblegum Crash!:
Illegal Army

Illegal Army

This first episode of Bubblegum Crash! may be its weakest, which is typically not a good way to start off a series. The Knight Sabers are breaking up because Sylia is no longer there to hold them together, a possibly unintentional look at just how important she really is to this series. With Priss getting her pro debut as a rockstar, Linna making money as a stock broker (don't ask how), and Nene still acting as an unfulfilled AD. Police officers, things look like for once they are normal. Then the Illegal Army shows up and begins to rob banks, but not so much for money as for AI components that the banks are holding for companies like Zone Corporations, a manufacturer of Boomer brains. After seveal semi-eventful skermishes with the Illegal Army, the AD. Police are ready to give up. That's what Sylia returns to the Knight Sabers and they move out to take on Colonel Lando and his men.

That episode has plenty of action for those who enjoy fight scenes but its story is so weak that it hardly makes it to the end. It also has an unintentionally humorous aspect in its final scene, which is supposed to be tense. Priss making the final shot at Lando managed to be funny in a way that is hard to describe, possibly because it took so long for the Knight Sabers' shooting expert to find her target, and that was with Nene's help.

The music is rather bland. Before I had watched the episode I had been of the belief that all the same actors and actresses were working on this series as had been working on the last. Imagine my surprise (or horror) when Hateshinai Tabi began and the first vocals that came out were the hoarse and unattractive sound of Ryouko Tachikawa, the replacement seiyuu for Kinuko Oomori, who left for contractual problems. It was bound to happen, but it would have been nice to have someone who could carry a tune.

This episode gets repetitive quickly. The Illegaly Army is shown breaking into banks at least three times, if not more. They were stabbed multiple times by Knight Sabers, namely Priss and Sylia. And because the story was, as stated, contrived in the first place, things became well high painful toward the end. And then there's the actual ending scene... *Shudder*

The redeeming quality of this episode is that it was over quickly, lasting about forty minutes. Linna was also sort of cute as a maniacal stock broker, although I'm at a completel loss for how, when, and where she gained the skills to perform as such. This episode also proves my long lasting theory that Sylia has the best taste in fashion out of the four Knight Sabers. Did anyone else almost faint at the sight of those outfits they were wearing at the Silky Doll's grand reopening?

Sylia is absent for most of this episode and once she appears she... winks... and then laughs... and smiles... To this day I have nightmares about those scenes. Priss, the one Knight Saber who always seemed to care about their 'mission,' wanted out of the Knight Sabers in order to sing professionally. Linna became the maniacal stock broker; once again, cute but weird. Nene was breaking so many laws right in front of Leon and Daley that I just kept waiting for one or both of them to slap her across the face and remind her that they were police. I guess they forgot about that little detail. But all this pales in comparison to the aforementioned ending scene ("Yea!"). If it weren't for the facts that I think Linna has a cute laugh and I wanted to make a rather complete website, I would never ever watch this episode. I also can't help but wonder if anyone on earth was fooled by the "Mysterious Voice."

Return to the MegaTokyo 2034 Network