Ted Mechanic's Deep Purple Pages

Deep Purple - Perihelion - DVD and Video

On August 19th, Ian Gillan's birthday, (coincidence ?) a new live DVD and video will be released in the UK. It's called Perihelion.

Please find the DVD cover on the right, video cover underneath.

The text in purple color is taken from the official press information, I'm not responsible for that. My remarks are the ones in greenish color. As soon as I get my hands on it I'll post a review here and tell you whether or not it's worth buying.    

DVD cover

Video cover

DEEP PURPLE

PERIHELION

IT HAS survived seemingly endless changes in line-up to emerge as a true hard rock institution. Once credited in the Guinness Book Of World Records as the loudest band on the planet, it has launched the careers of such musical luminaries as Ritchie Blackmore, David Coverdale and Ian Gillan.

Aviva International and Direct Video Distribution are delighted to announce a 19 August DVD and VHS release date for a phenomenal live performance by the legend that is Deep Purple. Recorded at the Sunrise Theatre in Florida, 'Perihelion' showcases screaming guitar riffs, screeching vocals, brilliant keyboards, dynamic drumming and amusing stage antics that constitute a signature Purple show - and a remarkable concert experience.

Released to coincide with the group's eagerly awaited UK Tour this September and the recording of a new studio album, 'Deep Purple: Perihelion' features no less than 14 brilliant tracks, among them the monster hits Hush, Woman From Tokyo and of course the enduring Smoke On the Water, which perhaps more than any other track positioned Deep Purple among Rock's elite.

Featuring Ian Gillan on vocals, Roger Glover on bass, Jon Lord on keyboards, Steve Morse on guitar and Ian Paice on drums, 'Perihelion' is a remarkable souvenir of an unforgettable night.

Set List

Woman From Tokyo; Ted the Mechanic; Mary Long; Lazy; No One Came; Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming; Fools; Perfect Strangers; Hey Cisco; When A Blind Man Cries; Smoke On the Water; Speed King; Hush and Highway Star

VHS   DVD
Catalogue No: IX1168MYUKV IX1167MYUKD
Release date: 19 August 2002 19 August 2002
Certificate: E E
Running Time: 100 Minutes 100 Minutes
RRP: £13.99 £19.99

This additional information I received from very nice Sara of the promotion company:

The release holds the complete show of June 5th, 2001, at the Sunrise Theater in Florida. The DVD also has behind the scenes footage of 13:34 minutes and interviews of 26:36 minutes.

In their press information they also give people a little band history which I don't need to comment. Here it goes:
Formed in 1968, the band's early line-up consisted of Rod Evans (vocals), Nick Simper (bass), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar) and Ian Paice (drums). After the release of their debut album, Shades Of Deep Purple, they scored their first success with two covers: Joe South's Hush and Neil Diamond's Kentucky Woman.

After the lukewarm reception that greeted the release of Concerto For Group and Orchestra, Blackmore took creative control of the band, steering it towards a heavier, guitar-dominated sound. The gamble worked and Deep Purple saw success with 1972's multi-platinum classic Machine Head which reached the Top 10 and produced the hit single Smoke On the Water. However, the mid-'70s saw major shifts in the band, including the departure of Gillan, who later joined Black Sabbath, and his replacement by David Coverdale.

The changes took their toll and following a farewell tour, the group dissolved in 1976.

The classic line-up of Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Glover and Paice reunited Deep Purple in 1984 for a new album, the platinum smash Perfect Strangers.

Despite numerous subsequent upheavals, the band remains alive and well in the 21st century.

EXCLUSIVELY DISTRIBUTED IN THE UK BY

DIRECT VIDEO DISTRIBUTION

You can order the Video/DVD by clicking on the link below:

www.dvdisc.co.uk

By the way (for all the Paicey fans among you): they also offer two Paul McCartney DVD/videos, featuring Ian Paice, namely the Peta Concert and the show at the Cavern Club.

Please find below some snapshots of the Sunrise show. I'm not positive whether or not they are included in the booklet.

Back to Ted's  Pages

© 2002  by Axel Dauer