Deep Purple and friends at the

September 25th and 26th 1999

I know, you shouldn't start a review with the bottom line, but this time I have to do so. This weekend at the Royal Albert Hall was *the* music event of the century ! I am very, very happy that I had the opportunity to be part of it, and also that I can even offer you some nice pictures of these unforgettable nights. Hope you enjoy !

Steve and the London Symphony Orchestra

For those among you who haven't had the chance to eye-witness these concerts, you have all the reasons in the world to feel sorry! The only word of comfort I have for you is, there will be a CD, DVD and video released in January 2000. But that can only be a weak substitute, compared to actually being there. I flew in from Germany to be part of this event, hoping it would be something special, but not even in my wildest dreams would I have dared to expect something *that* wonderful.

I am afraid I won't be able to find the right words here to describe everything, how great it really was. So I'll try to concentrate on the facts. Before I start my little report I don't want to forget to thank my British friends Steve, Andy and Cliff for their hospitality. You guys are great!

The Royal Albert Hall is a very impressive place with a lot of atmosphere, just the perfect scenery for hosting something that special. If you are lucky to have good sound technicians, the RAH can offer some of the best acoustics in the world. And Purple did have great technicians, so you're guessing right, the sound, controlled via the biggest mixing desk I've ever seen, was perfect. The first night, everybody - of course including me - was very excited because nobody knew exactly what was going to happen. There was not too much information passed around in advance.

Steve and Ian waiting for their entry

The first night I was sitting in the 6th row, center left, with a pretty good view of the Maestro, but unfortunately too far away for pictures with my little goof-proof camera. Second night would be better since I was right in first row.

The night started with Four Scottish Dances, Op. 59, by Sir Malcolm Arnold, performed by just the LSO. Sir Malcolm, who was the conductor of the first concerto performance in 1969, was unfortunately unable to attend due to his health condition.

Then every Purple member got a spot to perform some of their solo compositions. Jon would�start off with two numbers of his "Pictured Within" project. First was the title song, sung by Miller Anderson.

What a voice ! He put soooo much emotion in his performance, goose bumps were unavoidable. The second song , "Wait A While" was sung by Sam Brown. Nice performance too.

The next spot was reserved for Roger. He chose to play two songs of his "Butterfly Ball" of 1975, and, *yes*, it was sung by the original singer, Ronnie James Dio ! The audience welcomed him with standing ovations.

Ronnie James Dio, Steve Morris, Dave LaRue

Man, was I happy to see him there. One of my little dreams came true with that, namely seeing DP on one stage with him. You know, when Ian left the band in 1990, I was hoping and praying Ronnie would replace him, but, as we all know, they decided to hire that cabaret singer instead.... Anyway, finally I got to see my dream "almost" come true. Ian - don't misunderstand me here, you are still *the* voice of Deep Purple for me, but if it's not you singing in Purple, it should be nobody less than Ronnie. I still consider him one of the greatest voices in Rock 'n' Roll.

He hasn't lost a bit of his power and range. Does that man never age? It's amazing. And he is such a wonderful and humble person, as we all would learn after the concert when we had the pleasure to talk to him at the hotel bar. Oh, I almost forgot, the two songs they played were "Sitting In A Dream" (goose bumps all over me again) and "Love Is All", with Eddie Hardin as Guest Piano player with Jon as a�"four hand".

Next was Big Ian with his solo spot. He used it for "Via Miami" from the Gillan & Glover project "Accidentally On Purpose" and "That's Why God is Singing the Blues" of his "Dreamcatcher" CD. Sitting in was his old mate Steve Morris on guitar. Don't be confused by the photo on the right; this was taken later, during the encore, Steve Morse did not play on that one.

I am not quite sure if the Via Miami song was the best possible pick. The audience responded politely but wasn't too thrilled about it; neither�was I. Cherkazoo for example would have been something here...

Steve Morse & Steve Morris

Anyway, it gave the brass section a nice chance to shine, but it was definitely the weakest song of the night, plus it doesn't give Ian too much of�a chance for great singing either.

The second night at that�point, Steve Morris had technical problems with his guitar cable. During the first song you didn't hear him at all and on the second, when he was playing an semi-acoustic guitar, you could only hear him when Ian helped him out with his own microphone. On top of that, his cable created terrible plug-in noises during the performance. I wonder how the sound engineers are going to fix that for the video / CD.

The Steve Morse Band

Then, Ian announced "their guitar player." Standing ovations again. And this one brought his bandmates Dave LaRue and Van Romaine of the Steve Morse Band with him. It was one of the most discussed topics in advance, whether or not they'd be there. "Night Meets Light" was their first song.

A good choice, I 'd say, because it is a very complex, difficult song that gave the musicians the chance to show everybody their extraordinary talents.

Dave is a different kind of bass player. He is not just�a rhythm player, he plays the bass more like a leading�melody instrument. He and Steve traded licks and that was such�a pleasure to�watch. The same goes for Van. His style isn't just rhythm work either. Outstanding was his job on the cymbals, virtuosity at its best. But his playing was powerful as well. The man is a wizard on the drums, no doubt.

I personally hope that this gig helped them to get more notice over here in Europe, where they are still pretty much overlooked. After the gigs I had a little chat with Dave and Van and they expressed the same idea. Well, I'm sure that gig *will* help, especially since it will be released on CD and Video. Dave said that they might be doing a little tour throughout Europe in spring 2000, but nothing is concrete yet.

With their second song, "Take It Off The Top", they got the RAH going wild. The place *rocked*. Unbelievable how much power a three-piece can develop. To be correct, there was Graham Preskett on the violin which makes them four, sorry.....

So, who's solo part is missing? Exactly, "little" Ian's. I was wondering what that could possibly be. There is no such thing as a solo work of his... (if you don't want to count the Paice, Ashton, Lord stuff). Since we're talking about that, actually I expected Tony Ashton to be there as one of the guests, especially since he and Jon are still pretty close.

The first shot that I ever got of Ian on stage !

(Jon was Tony's best man at one of his weddings.) But to my surprise he was not there. Well, I got to meet him on the following tuesday, but that's a different story. BTW, for those who like him too: he is working on a new CD right now. Ian decided to do a different interpretation of "Wring That Neck", ("Hard Road" as the Americans call it) accompanied by a brass section called "The Kick Horns".

Their version was pretty jazzy and Ian proved that he can be way more than just a rock drummer. I must say I liked it very much, although I am not much of a jazz fan. After that there was a short interval, giving us a chance for a cigarette and a little chill from all that excitement that we were already feeling....

But the highlights were still to come.

The second part would be the legendary Concerto For Group And Orchestra by Jon Lord. I can't recall every single note of the 1969 concerto since I haven't listened to it for quite a while, but I got the impression this one was even better! One major difference: it was noticeable that the orchestra guys really enjoyed what they were doing. Contrary to some of the '69 guys who were literally covering their ears when the band was playing. And, but that's just my personal guess, Paul Mann, the conductor, seems to be a disguised Rock 'n' Roller. He obviously enjoyed the whole thing, including the Rock parts.�

Unfortunately, like almost everywhere, the first night there were some obnoxious bums in the audience. During the quiet parts of the concerto they kept on yelling "Highway Star, Rock 'n' Roll" and other bulls**t. Stupid ignorant morons!! Jon got so upset (like everybody else in the audience, too) that he stood up, grabbed a microphone and spoke to them: "May I have a word with you? I know you had fun at the bar. But please shut up. People are trying to listen to the music." Roaring applause. Oh Gosh, what if these creeps are here again tomorrow night? We all knew the sunday concert would be taped. Who needs that ridiculous sh*t on the tapes? Honestly, that worry kept most of us nervous and crossing our fingers the second night. Fortunately, we didn't hear anything from those jerks anymore. Ian told us later that their roadies had removed them and gave�them back their entrance fee. Way too nice, if you ask me. They deserved worse, minimum a night in jail - or even better - with us real fans. Oh no, forget that quick, they would not have survived it....

Second Movement

Ian and Steve were sitting on a little stool, waiting for their entry (see picture further up). Ian seemed to be fully concentrated, absolutely drifting in the music. Everybody was waiting anxiously for the vocals part. Would he still be able to sing it? Oh yessss, he was. And how beautiful he sang it!! Here go the bumps again....

Although you're not supposed to applaud between the movements (hell, what do Rock 'n' Rollers care about the rules!) the crowd was standing up and cheering forever and going wild. And nobody seemed to really mind it.

You're asking me about Steve... How was he ? What do you mean? You don't expect me to do the stupid "how did he play compared to Blackers"-thing, do you ? Has anybody ever heard Steve play a wrong note ? Did he ever screw up a single gig ? Of course not !

Well, to be honest, I was wondering too how he would play classical music. I hadn't heard anything like that from him yet. I've recently learned about most of the things he did pre-Purple, but that did not include classical stuff. Well, to make that long story short, he was *brilliant*, like always. He is just too much of a pro and too great of a guitar player to not be able to play even the concerto. That man keeps on amazing me again and again.

I had the wonderful opportunity to watch every single move of his fingers, because not only was I in the first row, but also I was *right in front of him*, he was (almost literally) playing right on my lap! What a great experience! (Thanks Cliff, you know what I mean....)

Steve going "classical"

All right, I don't want to ramble about the details of the concerto. It was utterly breathtaking, wonderful, moving, and�simply: perfect in every meaning of�the word. When it was over, everybody stood and thanked the band and the orchestra with never ending cheers and applause. Well, there are just no words to describe how great it was. I don't want to forget to thank *every single member* of the London Symphony Orchestra for the wonderful performance they gave.

That was the concerto. Next came "Even More Shades Of Deep Purple"

Now it was time to Rock and Roll.... The band *with* the orchestra played Purple tunes.

It started with "Ted The Mechanic", then came "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming", "Watching The Sky" and "Pictures Of Home". I want to make it short here, just say that this was the cream of the crop. I mean, all these songs were already great. But I'd like to compare it to a raw diamond. It is already nice, beautiful, precious. And then you cut and polish it, which in this case means: you add the orchestra background, some brass here and there and background singers, and that makes them *absolutely perfect* masterpieces. That's how I felt about these "new" versions of those songs. They were shined to their best possible brilliance, like diamonds. They could not have been any better.

The first night, they played "Smoke On The Water" right after the last song. EVERYBODY was joining in, all the guest musicians, background singers, brass section, Graham with his violin, the orchestra, the full bit. And the BEST part - see picture on the left - was, Ian and Ronnie were *sharing* the vocals. Oh My Gosh ! (Here's my little dream again...) Folks, if you haven't been there, you cannnn-not-imagine how explosive it was !! The hall went wild !! It was un-be-lie-vable. Can you picture Smoke fully orchestrated, with horns, violins, two drummers, two bass-players, two guitarist and what-not else???

Big Ian, Ronnie James Dio, Little Ian, Graham Preskett

One could really worry the honorable Royal Albert Hall would collapse from that. Ahhh, so what....
The applause after that just did not want to end. Sure, I clapped my hands until sore as well, what did you think I'd do?.... After maybe ten or twelve minutes (yesss, we were still cheering to the top of our lungs) Ian came back out and had to tell us that they were sorry, there was nothing more.

Bummer, we�could have gone on�for days and days and days.... But hey, honestly, we got way, way more than you can ever ask for.

We were so overwhelmed and excited from this event that none of us could go to sleep that night. We sat together until 7 a.m. discussing the concerto back and forth, of course while listening to nothing else but Purple CDs.

The musicians thanking their audience

The only little negative thing we had to say was, that it was a bit weird that they had not prepared a little encore. So we stated it would have been a better idea if�they had left the stage after "Pictures" and come back for "Smoke" as the encore.

And sure enough, that was exactly what they did the second night. Did you guys hear us ? So,�what other differences were there between the two concerts ? Not many. Both performances were equally perfect. One little thing that I believe to have noticed (but that's just my very subjective impression) the first night they appeared pretty nervous and a bit stressed. I mean, I wouldn't wonder. Would everything work out, how would the audience respond, would there be technical or acoustical probs, etc. There is a lot to worry about. After all, we're not discussing a five piece Rock gig, we're talking about an event involving hundreds of people. So it's not surprising at all that they were a bit nervous. But since everything worked out perfectly on Saturday, a successful dress-rehearsal so to speak, everybody seemed way more relaxed the second night. Although actually that night some little probs occurred (like Steve Morris' guitar cable, and also Steve Morse had some problems with one of his pedals - but his roadie fixed it in no time).

And another difference was: �the second night there was (almost) no stupid yelling during the quiet sections. Whew, *thank God* !!

Oh, good thing you�remind me, there was another "little" difference the second night. They had "additional" singers for Smoke.... and that's NO SH*T, it was my neighbor and ME!!! We�got to sing Smoke with the band! Ronnie came over with the mike to us and made us sing!�I was thrilled! For 3 seconds I got to be a part of Deep Purple.�(But I hope they didn't video tape that part because I would feel guilty for ruining the tape. I do sing like a hippopotamus.)

I'm really dying to know how the band felt about the concerto. Was it as special for them as it was for us ? Were they equally happy and impressed about it ? From all my excitement I couldn't come up with any intelligent questions about it that night. It was all too fresh. Well, I'm going to ask them someday....

What else happened that weekend ?

On Sunday, the day of the second concert, Simon Robinson of the Deep Purple Appreciation Society had a convention organized. It was located pretty close to the RAH. They had a big screen there, showing historical and rare video clips. Simon was explaining things between the shows, and around that there were stands selling all kinds of Purple memorabilia. Me, expecting this and knowing my collector's habits, I didn't take too much cash with me, not to ruin myself, but still I spent all I had in my pockets on records which I didn't have yet (well, my collection will probably never be complete....) So, as the day went by, buying stuff, meeting all the nice other people again, chatting and drinking beers with them, all of a�sudden the crowd went really turbulent. What had happened ? IAN himself showed up at the convention, spoke to us and even allowed us to ask him questions. Wow, how nice of him. He really cares about the fans, although some really embarrassed us, asking him the most stupid questions possible (I don't want to go into detail here). But, the gentleman that he is, he answered them all very politely.�

Ian answering our questions at the convention

Dave LaRue, Ted Mechanic and Van Romaine

This one I put up here, just to make my friends from the Steve Morse mailing list a little envious....

Just kidding my friends, I love you !

After the second night's concert we decided to meet the band. We stepped back from that idea the first night 'cuz everybody was too nervous, and we didn't want to bother them. We're trying hard to be good fans :-) although I admit we're sometimes a little obnoxious...

Anyway, we had the pleasure to spend some memorable time with them. Ian and his wife were there, Ronnie as well, Steve Morris and his wife, Dave and Van of the SMB, Graham, Miller Anderson and some very nice other Purple fans, of course. That was a very nice experience too, finally meeting people in real life that you've known for awhile only from the net.... Now there's a face to match.

Another "hi" here to (the other) Ian and Ian for helping us to outwit these stupid british bar rules....

The bottom line is: (I know, I've said it already) it was the most wonderful musical event of the century. I will remember it as long as I live..... and if they ever do it again (I know, they won't... but one can dream) I would fly to Sydney, Tokyo or even the Moon - whatever it takes to see this again. Until then, I will have to make do with the upcoming video which I can't wait for. Everybody out there, I request that you get it as soon as it comes to the stores. No serious fan of *any* good music, not just Purple fans, can live without that. Plus you support the Nordhoff Robbins Music Therapy, because the profit from the concerto tickets, and as far as I understand the video and CD also, goes to their charity.

Wait a moment folks !! That's was not it ! I'm holding even more information for you ! Do you want to read what the musicians and the conductor had to say about the concerto ?

Alrighty, click here to get there.

God bless you all ! Yours, Ted Mechanic.�

Feel free to e-mail me your comments

or, even better, sign the guestbook

Or go back to Ted's -Page Index for more

� 1999 by Axel Dauer