Ted Mechanic's Deep Purple Pages

Roger's next solo release was the rather unusual and (at least for Purple fans) surprising  Elements  album, April 14th, 1978.

Roger says: "It came from a poem I wrote. I don't know why I wrote it or where it came from. I'm not even sure I understood what it meant, but I felt I had to try and interpret it through the music."

In the night within your eyes, where blackness tells no lie, a hand was seen to fall, as it reached up for the sky. All fingers had a ring, and each with nine stones set, around, a halo shone, where truth and beauty met.

The first ring made of clay, is old and cracked and worn. The stones are loose and rattle, like a window in a storm.

The next a ring of fire, that licks around each gem, the centre glows with molten gold. That dies and lives again.

The third ring's watery flow, is deep and clear and green, jewels like sunny islands, reflecting in a stream.

The fourth ring with the wind, as Chinese bells are blown, all nine stones in orbit spin, destiny unknown. In the night within your eyes where blackness tells no lie. A hand was seen to soar, as it fell down from the sky.

Roger Glover     

Well, I personally am glad he did so, because I think this is an outstanding piece. It has such an unique character, very special sound and feeling. And it absolutely hits the point, describing the earth's elements in a musical way. A rather brave attempt though, but settled just perfectly. This album does something to me that only few compositions are able to do: I close my eyes and I can actually see the music, it is painting pictures inside my head.

The album consists of just four (well, actually five, I know) songs, each representing one of the elements. So, logically, there is only this:

• The First Ring Made Of Clay
  • The Next A Ring Of Fire
  • The Third Ring's Watery Flow
  • The Fourth Ring's With The Wind
  • Finale

String section: The München Philharmonic, arranged and conducted by Graham Preskett.

• Roger: synthesizers, bass guitar, percussion tabla, sitar guitar, acoustic guitar, vibes, backing vocals.
  • Simon Phillips: drums, tabla, percussion.
  • Mickey Lee Soule: piano, organ, percussion.
  • Graham Preskett: electric violin, clarinet (Yeez! *now* I realize where I knew him from, during the concerto I was wondering all the time.)
  • Ronnie Aspery: saxaphone, flute.
  • Martin Birch: Acoustic guitar, backing vocals.
  • Liza Strike, Helen Chappelle: lead vocals

Recorded and mixed at Musicland, München. Produced by Roger Glover and Martin Birch. Engineer: Martin Birch, Assistant Engineer: Hans Menzel.